Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Fairbanks Morse Y Diesel

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2923 times

Old 06-19-2001, 02:05:25 PM
Carl

Default Fairbanks Morse Y Diesel

I'm looking to buy a Y diesel. It has 55" flywheels and I would like to know the horsepower of it and the weight if possible. It dosen't have a tag.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2001, 07:55:00 PM
Tanner Remillard

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse Y Diesel

I cant tell you the H.P. of what your looking at but they made the hot head diesel's in 10, 15, 20 and 25 H.P. sizes. The 10 H.P. weighs about 3200 pounds.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:40:48 PM
Ken Majeski

Hi Carl; I brought a 15 hp style H Y home a couple weeks ago. The 15 hp has 48 in flywheels. The 20 hp had 54 in flywheels. The 25 hp had 60 in fywheels. The Electric engines had much heaver flywheels although the diameter was the same. My 15 hp has the electric flywheels and they are wider and have a crown for a belt to drive a generator. If you decide to start this engine be very sure there is NO oil in the crankcase. If they get ahold of oil or fumes they will run away and could self destruct. Mine is equiped with air start which is handy if you are alone. The style H is earlier and there was a later style also. I believe the later style had the govervor enclosed. So Have Fun....
Old 06-19-2001, 10:53:47 PM
Ken Majeski

Carl; I have 5550 lbs for the 20 hp style H and 6700 lbs if it has the elecric flywheels. These are approximate weights from a reprint catalog. I do think it may be a little heavier from the experience with mine....
Old 06-19-2001, 11:02:05 PM
George Lauderback

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse vs. Fairbanks Morris

I can't stand it any more! It's MORSE! FAIRBANKS MORSE! MORSE! MORSE! MORSE! Sorry, I just lost control.

George Lauderback
Old 06-20-2001, 02:02:02 AM
Russ Hughes

Some people have the same problem with the Morse Code too. Dah did dah did dah dah did dah. It is also not dots and dashes as it sounds in the international Morse Code used in radio communications. The older land line Morse Code was more like click, clack, and spaces, or something like that, from the mechanical sounders

Yes, this subject is related to engines, locomotive engines at that. They used land line Morse Code to signal up and down the track.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:37:00 AM
Carl

Thanks for correcting me. MORSE MORSE MORSE MORSE. Just a spelling mistake. Sorry, didn't mean to cause a big stink!
Old 06-20-2001, 09:55:04 AM
Fairbanks_Kid

Depends? Sounds like it might be 20 to 25hp? These engines can weigh up to 2 tons. Be sure it has the oil injector too. It's a set of pigtails within a oiler box above the cyinder. These injectors are really hard to find if it's missing. Also these engines were made from the early 1920 thru the 30's. It's hard to tell unless you have a serial number which might be stamped in the casting of the crankcase. With a 20 to 25hp, you will also need a compressor that will hold a contineous 100 PSI to start it. Hope this can shed some light?
Old 06-20-2001, 12:02:06 PM
Fairbanks_Kid

Morse comes from Charles H. Morse who helped incorporate the Fairbanks business in the late 1800s. Just wanted to add my 2 cents for fun
Old 06-20-2001, 12:07:16 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,244 Times in 2,495 Posts

I edited all the MORRIS to MORSE. We went through this once before and appears to be a very common mistake in the perception of the Fairbanks Morse name. Unfortunately, in the bulletin board world, the error gets repeated and multiplied through each persons response. Later, when someone is searching for old posts about "Fairbanks Morse" they won't find the ones under "Fairbanks Morris." That's why it's important to at least get the engine names and part names spelled right.

Please be aware that thread names can be modified as needed as responses are entered. That's not to say that a whole new thread should be started under an existing thread, but that minor corrections or alternate ideas as expressed can have slightly modified subject titles as above.

-- Harry
Old 06-21-2001, 12:47:08 AM
Russ Hughes

No stink intended at all Carl, just a little fun.