Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Cedar Falls & around Bad Weather

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2036 times

Old 06-12-2008, 12:16:45 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Cedar Falls & around Bad Weather

Can anyone confirm how the engines at Cedar Falls and everywhere else are? National News was highlighting the awful water problem.

Dalene Deck sent a note this morning that she is in a small town that has lost 60% of its town due to a tornado.

I hope all of the engines (people too!) are okay!

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2008, 02:04:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: Cedar Falls & around Bad Weather

the engines in osage are ok! the cedar river is on the rise again.it rained again north of us last nite.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:43:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

I don't think that the antique acres grounds (where the Smolik engines used to be) is under water. It might have been very close. Most of the roads are closed around that area. However, I think that one of the open roads that they are using to detour on is between the river and the grounds. I live West of the area and have not tried to go North around the grounds. Those grounds also would have been very close to the EF5 tornado that destroyed Parkersburg, IA 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:02:59 AM

Thanks Jim. This kind of weather always concerns me with our toys. We can protect from normal circumstances, but Mother Nature has her own plan.

Best of Wishes to all out there!

Beth
Old 06-13-2008, 02:11:50 PM
Registered

The Antique Acres show grounds in Cedar Falls was 100% water covered. At the highest point of the grounds which is the West side, the water was 2' to 3' high. There's no way to know how high the water got on the East side in the field? Our lowest point. The engines are fine. They may have set in a couple feet of water for a few days. But although not ideal, it won't hurt anything. We had several large piles of logs that are now scattered throughout the grounds. That should say something about the depth of the water and the flow of it, to be able to float large logs around the grounds. We have very sandy soil at our showgrounds. Although sometimes a curse, this time it will help us. The water was all there on Wednesday and I was able to drive around the grounds this morning.

Thanks,
Warren Bellinger
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Warren Bellinger For This Post:
Old 06-13-2008, 02:47:38 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

We have been seeing some pretty grim pictures on BBC News, of the Iowa flooding, and apparently also in Indiana and other states too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/default.stm

Our best wishes to all that are caught up in this, it's a very bad time for you.

Hopefully it will ease and things start to return to normality.

Peter
Old 06-13-2008, 03:35:05 PM

Thanks Warren. We keep seeing pictures & just have to wonder how bad it is where (in comparison to our engine collections...).

Is your place okay?

Beth
Old 06-13-2008, 08:47:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for the update, Warren. I based what I said on that I had heard Lone Tree Road was always open. Of course, today I was told it did go under water. I wasn't too worried about the engines and farm equipment - they can handle a little water, but how about the museum exhibits in the buildings?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15:15 PM
Subscriber

Just wanted to thank the guys at Antique Acres for putting on a great show last weekend. The Koobs, Bellingers, and others made us feel right at home and kept us well fed.

I think there were 8? full size engines and 2 half size engines running around the 3 days.

The crew at Antique Acres did an amazing job in getting everything cleaned up after the flood. Just to let everyone know how bad it was, there is STILL a large pond cutting the grounds in half. This is water still standing on sandy ground since JUNE!. Apparently the water table is now higher than the ground level in the lower parts of the grounds.

It was good to see perfect weather this weekend and I thought the crowds were pretty good also. That has to help after such a hard year of getting the grounds ready.

Thanks,