Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Tank seal,Will it work for Diesel fuel?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 8664 times

Old 04-15-2009, 10:15:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,378 Times in 549 Posts
Default Tank seal,Will it work for Diesel fuel?

Hi All, I have a leak in my loader tractor's tank.Will the white stuff work with Diesel or do I need something else. All the can says is not for use with airplane gas.Anyone tried it? Thanks Rob
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 11:22:21 PM

Thanked 20,688 Times in 5,985 Posts
Default Re: Tank seal,Will it work for Diesel fuel?

Drain it and braze it......OR weld a patch over it if you can.
Just what you wanted to hear I know.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07:14 PM
Subscriber

Hi Rob-
If it is the same as the "white stuff" that I sell, it will work fine for diesel with one precaution. The "oily" stuff has to be out of the tank before you coat it. You will need to wash the tank out with a solvent like gas, naptha, etc. so the sealer can stick to the sides of the tank. Washing with dish detergent and lots of water flushing through will work also. All of the slimy oily stuff has to be gone to allow the sealer to stick to the dry inside of the tank. The end effect is that you are putting a CPVC coating in the tank. This stuff works well for water, gas, diesel, kero, antifreeze, oil tanks. Just make sure that the leaky areas are supported with metal or something so you don't get another leak if you bump or scrape it by accident on the outside. This stuff is very stinky and flammable so use it outdoors only with caution.
Thank you,
Dave Reed
Otto Gas Engine Works
2167 Blue Ball Road
Elkton MD 21921-3330
phone 410-398-7340 http://www.pistonrings.net
http://www.pistonring
The Following User Says Thank You to PistonRing For This Post:
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31:28 PM
Registered

Diesel fuel is less agressive a solvent than gasoline (especially modern gasoline) so will be fine with anything that can tolerate gasoline. As for brazing, I have found that it can sometimes lead to cracking in the heated area next to the repair. I use soft solder with or without patching, depending on how large the hole is. It is plenty strong for the load seen by a fuel tank.

I would rinse with gas or naptha instead of soap and water. In the very small crevices in the seams it will be difficult for the soapy water to remove all the diesel fuel, and also difficult to dry out the water.

To dry gasoline tanks I stick the output from my vacuum cleaner into it. The air is a bit warm and quickly dries and airs out the unit. I also leave it running when doing the soldering to insure that any flammable fumes produced by the heat are constantly carried away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beanscoot For This Post:
Old 04-18-2009, 07:37:04 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Rob:

I can go along with Dave. It's good stuff! I had a '50 Chevy that I converted to a diesel engine. The tank had a few tiny pinholes and was rusty.

I coated it with some of that white tank compound and it never gave a lick of trouble for all of the almost 20 years and 200,000 miles I drove it.

Take care - Elden
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post: