Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Long Frame or Short Frame

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 4058 times

Old 06-01-2009, 08:15:19 AM
MCH02

Default Long Frame or Short Frame

Hey guys, again thanks for all your help in recent times, you have really saved me a ton of headaches.

I have a question regarding long frame/short frame maytags. I read alot about them, but really cant find any info on them, as far as how to tell which are which. How do I tell a Long Frame from a Short Frame when looking at them?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23:07 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,387 Times in 783 Posts
Default Re: Long Frame or Short Frame

here is a video of a 1929 long frame i recently picked up, notice the long iron frame under the engine.

The Following User Says Thank You to JKWidener For This Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25:55 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,274 Times in 2,496 Posts

It depended upon how they were to be mounted under the washer. Some had mounting rails around the perimeter and some had a center X frame mount as part of the washer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40:24 AM
MCH02

Thanks for the pic, that is just like my single cylinder, anyone have a pic of a 92 with a "short frame"?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:58:16 AM
Registered

Here is a pick of my restored short frame 92.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maytag2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	55642  
The Following User Says Thank You to wydiver For This Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31:44 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Long Frame or Short Frame

As far as show engines, the long frame is sort of a rare bird. A lot of the long frame fuel tanks on the 92s got broken, due to the thin cast iron used on the exhaust side of the base. A lot of them cracked due to metal fatigue from the vibration caused by the engine,s hit and miss governing. If the mount bolts loosened up, the constant pounding eventually broke the base. I have seen quite a few longframes either cracked or broken / welded or brazed.
Andrew
Old 06-01-2009, 10:33:11 AM
MCH02

O.K., now I feel like an idiot, I didnt realize it was that obvious. Looks like I have to explain to the wife that I need another Maytag or Three!!! I just started this small engine craze (Ran out of passion for working on cars!!!) but I have been bit by the bug bad!! I have picked up 4 in the last 3 weeks and it looks like there are many more to come!!! Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:35:43 AM
MCH02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
As far as show engines, the long frame is sort of a rare bird. A lot of the long frame fuel tanks on the 92s got broken, due to the thin cast iron used on the exhaust side of the base. A lot of them cracked due to metal fatigue from the vibration caused by the engine,s hit and miss governing. If the mount bolts loosened up, the constant pounding eventually broke the base. I have seen quite a few longframes either cracked or broken / welded or brazed.
Andrew

Hmm, is it possible that they are more common or rare depending on the part of the country? Now that I know the difference I know of at least 3 other 92's around here for sale but all the long frame type.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:32:51 PM
Registered

You may have bitten the bug. but....you havent even started to get dddeeeeeeeppp.. because then you got the 72, the 82 and the uprights..then there is finding a washing machine to mount the engine to...then there is all the wrenches and attachments to go on the washing machine like the butter churn and the meat grinder...you can get in very, very deep into maytag.
Ive got 2 92's and a 82 that i just finished and i swore that was the end of maytag but i am finding myself looking real hard at the uprights.
Enjoy..keeps me out of the bars and jail.
Bryon
Old 06-01-2009, 05:21:30 PM
Registered

.and the lawn mower and the generator and the water pump and.....
Old 06-02-2009, 12:30:21 PM
Registered

Water pump? Which engine does it use? I've never seen one. Anyone have a picture?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33:07 PM
Registered

How about the Maytag car? Don't know the proper name for it but saw one at our show one time. Really cute.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:45:24 PM
Registered

The most common water pumps were made by the Simer pump Co (still in business), they used twins. The Maytag Mason auto was the big cars official name (1909-1911), then you need all the early farm equipment, that's what they made before washers (washers were actually what they did to fill time in between farming seasons, that sure changed didn't it!) Which churn are you talking? the early tin/steel one or the later aluminum. How 'bout the meat grinder, the first or the later. How about the Maytag racer, the little 92/72 powered promo car?

Then there is the 1927 model 92, quite different than the rest.
The 9 and 11 fin 82's, the 9 and 11 fin 82's with long tanks. Then long frame 72's. OOH yes, howabout those uprights? And don't forget all the oil cans, mangles, ect, ect, ect, (this goes on forever).
Oh yes, you can very easily get DEEP. Don't forget, you need ads, literature, books, ect as well.
Some places can obviously have more or less of one thing or another, you appear to be in an area with an abundance (for now) with long tanks. Get the serial #, If you have some 1927's on the line, for a good price, you might be able to sell those (all but one, or depending on the month of manafacture ,maybe more) and buy or trade for other things.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:56:05 PM
Registered

I'll agree and say the bug has just started and is nowhere near done. I started with a 92, then decided to go with an 72. Then, I came across an Upright, and now a second upright. Next on my list is an 82. Then, I am going to try to get all the short and long bases between all the other engines. These darn Maytag's are addicting for certain!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:50:53 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Long Frame or Short Frame

I have 7 model 92s and no 2 are the same! 4 different fuel tanks, several different caution plates, one with side facing exhaust. picked up 3 in the last month! I have 8 twins, 2 WICO (one built in 1947 - canadian patents), a 72-D several DAs and 2 water cooled! One of the Wicos (the'47) and one DA are NOS - only test run. I also have a few cans and oilers. It's a fun hobby, but gets out of control fast! As for rarety - It seems that certain models were sold in clusters. groups of types were sent to different areas as demands cane in. The rural electrification program brought power to the country. As the lines progressed, it made the gas powered washers obsolete. Here in the east, long frames are very uncommon, as power was here early on in most towns. Out west, it took longer to get the lines and local power strung up, so more and later model sales were more common.
Andrew
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44:28 PM
MCH02

liquid cooled???
Old 06-18-2009, 08:46:53 PM
MCH02

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pavlik View Post
The most common water pumps were made by the Simer pump Co (still in business), they used twins. The Maytag Mason auto was the big cars official name (1909-1911), then you need all the early farm equipment, that's what they made before washers (washers were actually what they did to fill time in between farming seasons, that sure changed didn't it!) Which churn are you talking? the early tin/steel one or the later aluminum. How 'bout the meat grinder, the first or the later. How about the Maytag racer, the little 92/72 powered promo car?

Then there is the 1927 model 92, quite different than the rest.
The 9 and 11 fin 82's, the 9 and 11 fin 82's with long tanks. Then long frame 72's. OOH yes, howabout those uprights? And don't forget all the oil cans, mangles, ect, ect, ect, (this goes on forever).
Oh yes, you can very easily get DEEP. Don't forget, you need ads, literature, books, ect as well.
Some places can obviously have more or less of one thing or another, you appear to be in an area with an abundance (for now) with long tanks. Get the serial #, If you have some 1927's on the line, for a good price, you might be able to sell those (all but one, or depending on the month of manafacture ,maybe more) and buy or trade for other things.

I have located several 92 lately that I will not be buying, not a single one of them is a short frame!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04:23 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Long Frame or Short Frame

Wow,

I have more long frames then I have of the rest. I am still looking for a Model 19 and now after reading a Maytag Book that I got from the Maytag Collector Club. Short frame shallow tank, the fill hole is like on the long frame (hear it is rare). I have all the basic engines and a few rare ones...

Fruit Jar
Short Base 82
1/2hp Mag Upright
1/2hp Buzz carb on main bearing
72 long frame
Meat Grinder (Fits Model 82 Washer)
8/9 Maytag Wrenches

30+ other Maytag Engines from Uprights, 82's, 92's, 72's, One washing Machine and a wide array of Maytag goodies.

Attached a photo of my Fruit Jar at her first show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showfruit.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	56856  
Old 06-18-2009, 10:14:55 PM
MCH02

Nice Fruit Jar. I cant wait to add some of the different variations to my collection but I really dont even know where to begin looking. I placed an ad locally but all I can find is long frame 92's and twin cylinders.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:34:12 PM
Subscriber

Well you have four different tank bases for the twin...not to mention all the other special gen set and pump set-ups...

Would like to find a model 82 lawn mower...that would be a great find....but I am not really picky in the engines that I get...just have a price that I pay...I have paid more for some, and less then for others....but it all depends where you get them...

Picking up a twin Friday night...and going to look at some on Sat...engines are out there just got to kick the tires and see if they fall out...