Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

4K Microlite 36 Error code,Mdl #4KYFA

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 5786 times

Old 07-30-2009, 12:56:55 AM
Registered

Default 4K Microlite 36 Error code,Mdl #4KYFA

Hi, I have a Onan Microlite Model# 4KYFA26100K Serial# F050800554. The genset will attempt to start and stall out with a error code of 36. The genset did sit unused for about a year. I went ahead and checked that I do have good fuel pressure coming in. I took the carb off and sprayed it with carb cleaner and hit it with compressed air. I payed special attention to the Fuel Shutoff solenoid and cleaned the gunk off of it and verified it was working properly with a 12v source. I buttoned everything back up and saw little to no improvement. I was able to manually throttle the carb but it ran extremely rough and seemed way to rich. I'm concerned that their is still varnish in the carb and from what I've been told Onan doesn't have a rebuild kit. Somewhat lost pm my next step on this one.

Thanks for reading and your replies!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 04:02:16 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: 4K Microlite 36 Error code,Mdl #4KYFA

You need to open the carb and check the following:
1) the needle and seat. make sure there is no debris under the needle. If you find black bits, suspect fuel pump diaphram going bad.
2) is the float/needle and seat sticking?
3) look at the float itself. A) Does it have varmish on it, B) if it is brass, is it damaged (eroded from bad gas, leaking [when you shake it, do you hear/feel fluid inside])? C) if it is a phenolic (plastic) float, is it light, and is it discolored (it should be a uniform color)?
4) check the float level. When held upside down, the seam (solder loint in brass/casting seam in phenolic)in the float should be parallel with the carb body/fuel bowl joint

If you are careful, you may be able to dis-assemble the carb, and save the gaskets for re-use.

Andrew
Old 07-30-2009, 06:33:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,554 Times in 828 Posts
Default Re: 4K Microlite 36 Error code,Mdl #4KYFA

Hasty,

Make sure the ignition system is in good shape, too. (spark plugs clean/firing, wiring good, etc)..

I'm attaching a guide for FC 36, which you may or may not need. If its running really slow before it dies, the code may just be coming up because it didn't produce enough voltage.

eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FC36 TS Guide.pdf (162.9 KB, 741 views)
Old 07-30-2009, 12:35:09 PM
Registered

Default 4K Microlite 36 Error code,Mdl #4KYFA

Ok, popped the carb off and checked the needle and seat which is ok. Didn't find any black chunks. I then checked the float which is phenolic, it is in good condition and adjusted correctly. I cleaned the carb again reassembled and put a new spark plug in. Fired the genset up and it idled for a couple of seconds and died, it was belching white smoke the entire time. I'm going to go ahead and check the ignition system now. Thanks for the ideas guys!

So I made a bonehead move and changed the oil out doing routine maintenance and overfilled the genset. I took out some oil and now it starts but runs rough and won't maintain an idle. Ignition is working and sparkplug is firing fine. I looked around and couldn't find any damaged/chewed wiring. By the way it is now quitting with a FC of 15.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:24:37 PM
Registered

Default Re: 4K Microlite 36 Error code,Mdl #4KYFA

Ok jumped to my conclusion on too much oil. Drained, measured and it was correct. Just looked to be overfilled do to the angle of the rig. Carb was puffing white smoke do to lean condition. My efforts to clean the carb were a complete waste of my time. According to Cummins Onan this carb is not rebuildable and they do not recommend cleaning it because some of the orfice's in the carb are too small to clean effectively. In short I purchased a new carb for 155.00 threw it on and now she purrs like a kitten. Lesson learned on proper upkeep and maintenance on a Genset. Thanks the the help guys!