Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Air starting my Reid first time

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2521 times

Old 03-11-2011, 11:36:27 PM
Sponsor

Default Air starting my Reid first time

I have my 15 HP Reid set up to start on the top hole with a quick open gate valve, using my gas compressor 175 psi 27.2 cfm will turn it over a good 3 turns on the first hit. Should I set it past TDC and then turn on the gas then hit with air so no propane is in the cylinder and let it draw in on the first hit only,or get it turning over and then open the gas valve when its spinning. I know it is not good to mix the air charge with propane. I would like to do it the first way and only hit it once that way I do not have to worry about timing the air or making a mistake. your opinions. Thanks. Phil
Old 03-12-2011, 01:03:29 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,173 Times in 406 Posts
Default Re: Air starting my Reid first time

If that engine has a Hottube you had better put the air starting out of you'r head. You are making a little bomb there.

If you don't think so, ask around about the engine that was blown apart at Coolsprings about 20 years ago... The cylinder came off the bed plate and pieces of the cross head went through the roof....

Not trying to scare anyone, but if you have it you're head to do this, do not call any of your friends to help.

They were verry LUCKY at Coolsprings no one got hurt......DH

Last edited by BuckeyeMan; 03-12-2011 at 01:52:46 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuckeyeMan For This Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 02:05:09 AM
Registered

Hey, Phil, why not set it up to run on spark and hot tube. That way you could start it on air and spark, and then light the hot tube once she's running. When I experimented with a sparkplug, I put a T in my release valve hole (top of cylinder) and put the spark there, with the other way going to the release valve. I don't see why you could not do the same, but have it go to your air valve instead of the release valve. Of course, you'd have to have a coil and points and all that, but it's better than a blown up engine. At least I think it is.

You'd still want to be very certain never to intruduce spark, fuel and air all in the same cycle. Get it rolling, and then turn it on. But I haven't done this to mine yet, so I'm speculating.

By the way, how warm was your engine when it turned over three times on air? Will it do that when it's cold (under 30º)? I do too much cussing in the winter when it's hard to crank.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 09:52:19 AM
In Memory OF

I'm a newby at these big oilfield engines, they are all dificult to hand crank. I was thinking about useing air to start my 20 hp Superior rolling and then introduce the fuel. How risky is this? How hard are these engines to hand start?
Walt
The Following User Says Thank You to Walt Roys For This Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 09:57:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,493 Times in 1,745 Posts

Walt, I think it's not so much hand crank as it is full body crank. The old guys more or less crawled on the spokes as the engine turned using their whole body weight. Kind of like starting a FM 503, you find the "right" spoke and when it comes around you put your foot on it and pull on another one on top and hope it doesn't kick back. I've heard tell of a few pumpers getting shot out the power house roof if it backfired.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:14:54 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts

this is paul wolcott starting my 20 superior 2 cycle

my wife starts this engine. my 25 reid, 30 bessemer, and 20 ball is another story. you have to climb them like a tree.

rod
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 10:13:53 AM
Sponsor

I will be using a sparkplug, may run it on top with the air off a tee with a ball valve ,or just a sparkplug on top and the air start where the hot tube was, needed to test out what I had to see if it would even turn over the engine, I have a good bit of compression. Have read all the good addvice and will start setting up, I have a micro switch for the sparkplug to set up for now. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:39:49 AM
Subscriber

Phil,
I start our SM Jones with air (100 to 130 psi).
The air goes in where the hot tube would have been.
I roll it backwards until just before the mag trips (this way it has to go around once before it fires), I fill the cylinder with a blast of propane and give it a shot of air, it goes around one cycle and usually fires on the next one.
This the way I have been starting this engine since I've owned it (7 years).
This is a four cycle and the Reid is a two so I'm not sure if there would be a difference.
The only problem I've had was the ball valve I use has nylon liner and after a couple of years the nylon liner fails and I have to replace the valve. I have been looking for a real air start valve to replace the ball valve ( I saw one on e bay last month but I forgot to bid on it, it sold for around $15).
Lou
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou Quirch For This Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 05:03:13 PM
In Memory OF

So,Ed and Lou, is it correct to assume the real dangerous combination would be air starting a hot tube engine, introduceing fuel and air preassure at the same time. A mag fired spark plug engine would be a totally different story.
Would appreciate input from any of you experienced oil field engine guys.
Walt
The Following User Says Thank You to Walt Roys For This Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 08:30:31 PM
Registered

Walt, you don't want air pressure and ignition at the same time. Since a hot tube could ignite the charge any time you have fuel, air and pressure, it is more of a risk to air start than a spark engine. You blow in your air, there is fuel in there, and POP, BANG, BOOM.

Air pressure + combustion pressure = too much pressure.

A safer way is to get it rolling over on air, which simultaneously purges the cylinder, and then turn on the gas and spark.

Like I said though, I've not done this personally--I've only seen it done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 08:47:41 PM
speleausmining

I was wonderin about that as these engines were designed to ignite air fuel mixes. Had not thought of it igniting when the piston is to the rear with lots of air pressure in it... I see how that could be a bad scene. I would assume sparkplug ignition is not a problem as the spark is timed whereas with hot tube it will fire whenever fuel and air reach the hot part of the tube.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30:01 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts

you can also do this on the back stroke if you set your spark/timing after top dead center, position your piston just after top dead center, on the rolling backwards stroke, administer a shot of air and then turn off the air. just like kicking it backwards without getting on the wheel .
don't know of any advantage of this, but it theoretically will work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post: