Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

KILLER Snow Storm Coming Soon - We are going to all die

this thread has 89 replies and has been viewed 3640 times

Old 03-11-2017, 11:06:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default KILLER Snow Storm Coming Soon - We are going to all die

Yeah, right..... Anyway, it looks like the northeast will get pounded by a snow storm that is still far off, but close enough where the so-called experts are predicting significant amounts of snow. I hope all the northeast Onan members are ready, make sure you got plenty of beer. Below is a copy/paste from a local online news site.

A powerful March nor'easter could deliver as much as 18 inches of snow and possible blizzard conditions across parts of New Jersey early next week, depending on what track the storm takes.

Forecasters from the National Weather Service and other weather agencies are predicting the storm system will come together late Monday and strengthen as it moves up the Atlantic coast on Tuesday.

NY NJ PA Weather, a private forecasting company based in Freehold, New Jersey, is [B]predicting as much as 14 to 24 inches of snow [/B]-- with some isolated pockets of 30 inches -- in northwestern New Jersey. The company predicts a swath of 10 to 20 inches of snow between Philadelphia and New York City, with 6 to 12 inches in areas closer to the Jersey Shore and 2 to 6 inches in southeastern New Jersey.

If this storm hits, I will have one of my security cameras streaming live online for all to see. I will post a link to the camera Monday evening.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	277177  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2017, 11:19:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,247 Times in 2,034 Posts
Default Re: KILLER Snow Storm Coming Soon - We are going to all die

By far the most reliable source for weather forecast is to check your local grocery store; if the shelves are bare of milk and bread snow is on the way.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:19:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,643 Times in 1,447 Posts

Guess I should "gas" up tomorrow and get ready for it. I'm in the 4-6, 8-12" band. Charge the generator battery, check the flashlights, re-prep the snow blower, get the extension cords ready for the furnace, freezer, refrigerator, some lights and the TV of course - just in case .
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22:11 PM
Registered-III

The sad thing is that this storm will kill people- some of which will likely be due to improper use of generator sets.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 08:27:47 AM
Subscriber

we are always ready here. Good dry wood for the wood stove , a snow blower that might start again, several gennys that we probably wont need, but ALWAYS have beer in the fridge. The only real reason we would need to run a genny is for the sewage ejector. If you cant flush, life stinks, literally. Sometimes I really hate that sewage ejector, but, the reality is its the single best excuse to collect generators. . If I really needed and excuse

And as my wife who is from Maine would say. " Wicked Pissah Stawm comin."
Old 03-12-2017, 08:53:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey NY View Post
we are always ready here. Good dry wood for the wood stove , a snow blower that might start again, several gennys that we probably wont need, but ALWAYS have beer in the fridge. The only real reason we would need to run a genny is for the sewage ejector. If you cant flush, life stinks, literally. Sometimes I really hate that sewage ejector, but, the reality is its the single best excuse to collect generators. . If I really needed and excuse

---------- Post added at 08:27:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19:59 AM ----------

And as my wife who is from Maine would say. " Wicked Pissah Stawm comin."
I would suggest having several empty spackle buckets on hand just in case ..

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 03-12-2017, 09:08:12 AM
Sponsor

Don't forget the beer. lots and lots of beer. Only suppose to get an inch or two of snow here from that storm.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:27:34 AM
Subscriber

JohnnyC- i hope your map is right for my area. as of now they r not even showing anything on TV. usually channel 62 is what i watch and they dont have the balls to post yet.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:37:05 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
By far the most reliable source for weather forecast is to check your local grocery store; if the shelves are bare of milk and bread snow is on the way.
That always cracks me up. Would all that milk and bread be otherwise consumed in that period?

When I used to live in the Albany, NY area and we got that blizzard in 1993 about this time of year, they had it all cleaned up within a day and everything was back open, much to the disappointment of those who had to report to work thinking they had a free day off due to snow. Even after all 36 inches of it.

Anyway, hasn't the east coast enjoyed a pseudo-spring since October? You get the whole winter in one neat, intense package and then its back into the 60-70s! I am in no way degrading what is a dangerous event, but you guys have got this. Easy day!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:06:17 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,906 Posts

I live about 25 miles north of Albany, NY, and while this winter has been strange, I wouldn't call it a pseudo-spring. It has been periods of unseasonable warmth alternating with periods of hard winter. The beginning of February started with no snow on the ground, then three major storms within a week left a coating of two feet, not including drifts. A couple of weeks later it was all melted. A week ago we had a few days of 50 to 60 MPH winds that took out a lot of power lines. The last two nights have been just above zero. And now a possible major storm as a parting gift of winter. At least this time of year, it won't last long.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:20:10 AM
Subscriber

Johnny, looks like Squidtrap and I are in the 2 to 4 inch area but you know how they lie, but just in case I will bring my wheel horse with the plow and my snow blower up to the house. sounds like a good time to warm up the MDJB just in case we need it..

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to PopsGarage For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 11:45:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,288 Posts

Yea, this 2 inches of snow I woke up to about wore me out. would you believe I had to push some off the windshield of the station wagon so i wouldn't burn up my wiper motor? According the talking weather heads on tv we are supposed be unable to travel or do anything till this evening!. Pooy, I went to breakfast, did my walmart run, and came home fine.
What amazes me is on the tube last night they were showing folks in New York wrecking in light snow. If you went by the yankees that come down here, they act and claim they really know how to drive in the snow, we southerns can't. yea right. Who do they think drives the rollback out there to drag their butts up the embankment and home?

I hope for the best for the folks that will be hit heavy. Look out for your neighbors. They may not be as blessed as you are with plenty of beer and a generator.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 12:09:02 PM
Registered-III

I thought this might be a good time to revive this good information--

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
Many people will be hitting this forum over the next days and weeks, with their power out, and either trying to get an old generator to carry them through or perhaps with a new one that quit on you. But long after this storm is gone, it (edited) will still be killing. I GUARANTEE that someone will be electrocuted. And I GUARANTEE that MULTIPLE households will be devastated or wiped out by carbon monoxide poisoning. In other words, someone's neighbor, family, or first responders will get the pleasure of prying open a strangely quiet house and being greeted by the smell of a dead family. Others will be 'more lucky' and the kids will find their parents dead, or vice versa. And I suspect the count of people who are made sick but survive is much higher. I know this is gruesome but I'm trying to drive home that the fumes from a running engine can and will kill you, and the only symptom may be you feel a bit tired and want to go to sleep.

Your generator MUST NOT BE IN OR NEAR YOUR HOUSE. Chain it to a tree or chain it to your neighbors upside down boat in your back yard, or if you can't secure it, just take the risk it gets stolen, but don't die. NOT in your garage, carport, or ANY structure 'attached' to a occupied area.

Some of you will be under stress and feeling a lot of pressure to get the power on, maybe you have a medications in the fridge, or a relative who does not do well when the heat and AC is off. Many of you may know little about electricity and wiring. Please remember that voltage KILLS even after a hurricane, even if you think you 'really really' need the power. And backfeeding is illegal and very dangerous. You're backfeeding if you got a double ended power cord that plugs the generator into your drier outlet. You're backfeeding any time that if you switch the main breaker on, you can energize the outgoing line. It's a horrid idea but if you just HAVE to do it, make sure your main utility breaker is OFF and LOCKED UP. Put the key in YOUR pocket. Keep it there till the generator is disconnected and put away. And if you come here for help after accidentally kicking the main breaker on and smoking your generator, be aware that most of us are not too forgiving. Also it's very likely you have destroyed some very expensive parts of your generator.

Feel free to ask questions and there are a lot of 'experts' on this board who will try to help. Many of us make a living with generators and we can help you. But please stay aware of your own limitations and be patient-it may take a few hours to get an answer in some cases. Post a make, model, serial, and maybe some pictures, and that will help a lot.

Stay safe!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 12:39:48 PM

Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,184 Posts
Talking Re: KILLER Snow Storm Coming Soon - We are going to all die

What a bunch of Wooosies.... We have had 20 days of Single Digit Temps and looking at 2 ft of new snow in the next couple of days.... Since there isn't a Grid inside 60 Miles, running a Genset is a Daily occurrence... The last barge of supplies was in September 2016, and the next barge isn't due till May 2017... Yup, We watch you folks get all excited, about the Wx, and then hit the Off Button on the SAT Tv and take a walk outside, and it ALL goes away, in about 10 minutes... Life is great in the Bush of Alaska....
Old 03-12-2017, 01:11:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,354 Posts

Bt you live the life I dream of off grid and living back out of the way of people yes people enjoying the wild life and nature fresh air and non polluted streams .I grew up we did not have all these gadgets folks have today they whine if they can not get on the internet people today are just plain LAZY no one wants to work use pick and shovel that is the way I was taught. Thank You BT
Old 03-12-2017, 01:13:49 PM
Subscriber

BTPost- I have been to alaska 3x on fishing trips all in june, excellent time, but in no way could i do the off grid thing. watch it on TV but that is as close as it comes for me.

I really would like to try it for 1 month as i love hunting, fishing, and the outdoors. Also my life long dream is searching for gold, really want to take a vacation at a place that has lodging and stuff on site and is not just a scam.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:00:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,880 Posts

A little sensationalism is fun, not much else to read in winter

As a kid dad (99) lived on a hill at edge of the city. I remember him telling the story of when he was a kid in the 1920's after a real big snow storm the city plowed the main streets but not the street up the hill to where he lived. Said it was 3 days before a horse drawn V plow cleared his street.

NOAA predicts 12-14 inches here, maybe we'll get 8.

I always kept good tall knobby tires on the car in winter. I liked to go out in the snow and drive around when they said every one should stay off the roads , just to prove I could if I needed to. Had no problems.

I remember as a kid in high school dad gave me a pickup truck with thin tall snow tires (16.5) to use, it drove just fine in a 18 inch snow storm. When I snowblowed the yard I'ld direct snow into truck bed for extra weight for traction.

Last edited by len k; 03-12-2017 at 07:18:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 02:33:17 PM
Registered-I

I know what you mean about deep snow ;0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deep snow.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	277215  
The Following User Says Thank You to Paso One For This Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 03:02:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,880 Posts

Here keeping beer cold during an outage is no problem. I keep it in attached garage all winter, I like it almost froze, ~ 15 degs.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:36:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,354 Posts

the new generation today would not survive the way us ole farts did in the day shoot we did not have running water still in the mid 1970,s we carry buckets of water to wash dishes, bath in a number two wash tub we had the best spring water in this area we cooked on the ole wood stove yes it was hard work we made an honest living .now when the snow got too deep I loved it we would miss three weeks of school I loved that. but the normal 8 inch snow fall dad would harness the horses and hook to the sled and take us to the bus stop two miles one way or we had to walk. I would go back to that life in a heart beat .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post: