Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Tandem Versus Cross Compound

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 2056 times

Old 07-07-2018, 10:57:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,171 Times in 2,114 Posts
Default Re: Tandem Versus Cross Compound

My friend, George Hoffman, has this 32 hp Reeves quarter scale that is a cross compound model engine. Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	George Hoffman's 32 hp Reeves model of #6819 cross compound Canadian Special 8-2016.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	313834  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2018, 11:58:44 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
My friend, George Hoffman, has this 32 hp Reeves quarter scale that is a cross compound model engine. Gary
Yes, I've had the pleasure of toying with this engine. The engine is a functioning compound and it runs very smoothly despite being scaled down. It also has a functioning simplex valve which perks the engine up significantly. The man who built it did an extremely good job of retaining the functions of the real deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Williams For This Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 08:02:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,171 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
Yes, I've had the pleasure of toying with this engine. The engine is a functioning compound and it runs very smoothly despite being scaled down. It also has a functioning simplex valve which perks the engine up significantly. The man who built it did an extremely good job of retaining the functions of the real deal.
Ryan, While I don't know that man who built that little Reeves engine of George's, lots of credit needs to go to the late John Kvill, who designed the castings for them. Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	John Kvill & model 32 Reeves dark.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	313899  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 10:20:14 PM
Registered

Thank you for the input and information about the models. I bet the extra power is helpful when starting and on hills. The size difference of the boilers is only one indication that the compound engines are easier on steam. The story about the similar engines and the difference in fuel and water consumption was great to read.
Now for another question... what is the maintenance like on the compound engines? How difficult to get the cylinder oil into the LP cylinder? Do you need to add much extra oil to the steam to accomplish this? How difficult is it to keep the inter cylinder seal in good shape?
Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Dudgeon For This Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 03:13:57 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,758 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
Ryan, While I don't know that man who built that little Reeves engine of George's, lots of credit needs to go to the late John Kvill, who designed the castings for them. Gary
You are correct Gary. The late John Kvill and his partner Chester Matthews spent months in 1965 with ruler and calipers measuring and reducing in great detail the measurements of the 32 Reeves CC at WDM in Saskatoon. I am just looking at the set of drawings . There are 10 pages in great detail. The high pressure cylinder is 2 inches and the low is 3 and one half inches in diameter.
These drawings were copyrighted in 1966.
Our quarter scale was built in Kenai Alaska. It took Hank 5 years of part time and after retireing 5 more years of full time. When he got it finished he had a stroke and didn`t have a chance to play with it. It is a work of art.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1233.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	314564  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Hoffman For This Post: