Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Fact or Fiction: 75 hp Case tandem compound with heavy buttstrap boiler.

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 6875 times

View Poll Results: Did Case make a 75 hp tandem compound traction engine with a heavy buttstrap boiler?
Yes 9 24.32%
No 13 35.14%
Case didn't, but Benn Hadd did! 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20:21 PM

Thanked 12,819 Times in 3,884 Posts
Default Fact or Fiction: 75 hp Case tandem compound with heavy buttstrap boiler.

Fact or Fiction: Did Case make a 75 hp Case tandem compound traction engine with a heavy buttstrap boiler?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42:09 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fact or Fiction: 75 hp Case tandem compound with heavy buttstrap boiler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lagLadPZhNc

the above is a link Davide Lorenzone sent me about this subject. It lives in Brickman Argentina which is near SantaFe. From what he said he has seen it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Deck For This Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 11:31:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,291 Times in 734 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Fact or Fiction: 75 hp Case tandem compound with heavy buttstrap boiler.

NO. But that is a lovely 80 Case Compound
75s were build compound, but with their double or tripple lap boilers.
Always heard 80s and a lot of Cases went to Argentina.
Case made 2 compound 80s in 1912, one was sent to the Winnipeg Contest.
it almost apears its a compound thats been added on later somehow? the LP cylinder doesnt seem big enough. This engine has all the features of a late model 80

Last edited by Colin; 04-24-2013 at 11:39:52 PM. Reason: info
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12:17 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts
Default Re: Fact or Fiction: 75 hp Case tandem compound with heavy buttstrap boiler.

Who knows how Case marketed combinations of their boilers and engines to different markets?

I think that is the underlying question.

Modern Example: 1992 Nissan Sentras were rebranded and sold in Mexico as Nissan Tsuru well past 2005. (In this modern case, no pun intended Nissan did it for government emissions reasons)

-CB
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17:23 AM
Registered-II

CB - this thread/poll is I believe directed at people with expertise in Case steam tractors. I am not qualified for this as I have insufficient knowledge of Case steam tractor production to offer an informed opinion. Based on reading your posts of the last few months I would say you certainly are not qualified or knowledgable enough to offer an opinion.

Modern car marketing in other countries has nothing to do with the topic.

JD
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j dayman For This Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39:40 AM
Registered-II

Interesting (home made?) bull gear with break away teeth. Wonder if that was a designed weak point in the drive train so the engine wouldn't be destroyed by all the power of the compound? It does apear to have alot of original plumbing but I have to agree with Colon something doesen't look right about the size ratio of the lp jug.

Does anyone have any other pics or better video of the engine?

Beau
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TracksNIowa For This Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 10:01:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,626 Times in 504 Posts

Looks like an aftermarket compound of some sort. It's not a Woolf compound, you can see the valve rod between the two cylinders and there's some writing on the high pressure valve chest, about 3:40 in the video.
I see a surface blow valve on the barrel by the water column. I've never seen that on Case engines before. By the looks of the rest of the engine I guess somebody added that aftermarket as well. Does Argentina have bad water?
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Kelley For This Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 11:24:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,518 Times in 410 Posts

Here are some pictures of a tandem compound Case 75 (engine #27126, at the WDM) for comparison. The compound is certainly very different from what's on the Argentina Case 80. (I'm sure they're posted else-where but they seem useful here too.)

I'm certainly very curious about what is known about that Argentina engine - if the compound set-up is original or aftermarket.

Beau - I've got a decent collection of Case gears with broken teeth and spokes - would that mean lots of engineered weak links?

CB - it's well known that there are various manufacturers with American and Canadian boilers and engines - the Cdn ones typically built heavier to meet the stricter codes that appeared circa 1909. Although Case seemed to want to build boilers to meet all codes (helps with their mass production - that they certainly had figured out), there is, for example, an Ohio Std. version of a Case 50 boiler, as well as a Cdn/ASME standard - different butt straps. Case also lists some blueprints named "Russian", "German", Bulgarian" - I'm not sure if these were just translated to different languages or if there were unique aspects to these boilers and engines.

--Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	096.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	163684   Click image for larger version

Name:	099.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	163685   Click image for larger version

Name:	100.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	163686  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rob Bryce For This Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 12:09:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,642 Times in 286 Posts

Hello Everyone,
Colin, thank you very much for your post. I only seen the CASE on video. I'm trying to find the owner of that CASE but apparently he died some years ago and I will have to check if the CASE is still there. I have some Argentinian CASE catalogs where it says that CASE could prepare his 75's with different type of tandem compound engines. That is quite interesting. I do know that CASE steam tractors could mount different CASE wheels but changing the engines on the same tractor! That is quite strange.
Colin, what do you think about that?

And soon I will have the possibility to go and see the tractor in person I will try to take lots of pictures and a serial number if it's still there.

All the best

Davide
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Davide L. For This Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,998 Times in 369 Posts

The Advance Rumely Universal with the tandem compound shown in post 38 of this thread http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...+tandem&page=2 is located in Argentina. A Universal with a tandem compound is unusual as well. Is anyone aware of any in North America? I know this has nothing to do with Case 75's coming from the factory with tandem compounds but maybe Argentina had a large appetite for tandem compounds, factory built or modified in the field.

Dan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Donaldson For This Post: