Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Buckeye 4 Cyl 14.5x18

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 4098 times

Old 06-16-2013, 02:46:10 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Buckeye 4 Cyl 14.5x18

Here is url for a matchbook from Buckeye Machine that ended on ebay.
It states that they have been in business since 1908.

http://ebay.com/itm/THE-BUCKEYE-MACHINE-COMPANY-matchbook-matchcover-Lima-OH-Buckeye-Diesels-/200927606399

Marshall

Coolsprings Power Museum has a pdf that lists engines made in Ohio. That list shows Buckeye Machine in operation from 1912 till 1929.
Sorry, having trouble posting url for that doc. Found it thru Goggle.

Marshall
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28:54 PM
Registered-I

I contacted the local historical group in Lima.
Not a lot of info to be had. They said that they get a few calls asking about the Buckeye Machine company from city power plants looking for parts, records, etc.

No company records have ever been found.

In 1917, I think, they built new 50,000 sq. ft factory. Building engines up to 175 HP at that time.

Company closed its doors in 1948 after the owner/president died in 1947. Company was called Bessemer before changing to Buckeye Machine in 1910.

Not sure if that was full name or not, or if it is related to Bessemer oil field engines.

I will continue to do some digging.

Marshall
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21:00 PM
Registered

If they were indeed related to Bessemer engines, they would fall under the GE company. I believe they purchased the Cooper-Bessemer engine builder (or at least the engine rights) sometime in the late fifties/early sixties.

As for the Buckeye ditching company, all my friend is aware of would be steam engines in the very early machines, then all vendor supplied diesel/gasoline engines were used.
The Following User Says Thank You to EMD645 For This Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40:03 PM
Registered-I

Did a search on incorporation records thru State of Ohio website.

They show incorporation in 1914, several changes to bylaws over next 20 odd years and a final closing report on 9-1-1950. They have record ID numbers on website, but no images of actual reports. Not sure what would be gained or cost involved in trying to get copies of these reports.

The 1950 date jives with info I received today. The 1914 date is odd. 1908 and 1910 are two other years that I have seen that relate to the official opening of the company for business.

The more I find out, the less I know.

Marshall

here is link to Ohio website.

http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/bsqr...RTER_NUM:35027

Also learned that Buckeye Machine did marine engines for the war effort. There might be info thru naval records.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:16:29 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,201 Times in 940 Posts

State Corporation Commission records vary widely, as do even their names for their particular business record keeping body or authority...
Some states keep all names together: assumed business names, partnerships, actual corporations, associations, etc; some states have several separate files, and often don't disclose that fact unless you ask...you also have to make sure ALL the records are online, not just 19XX to date, or something like that, and there are sometimes fees to search the oldest records ($50 here in OR last time I checked!!)...
There's a newspaper website that has a fee to join; theoretically their records include all the major newspapers you can then search for your interest (i've never used them)...
Sometimes the then local paper or papers, if still operating, will have archives online you can search...
In addition to having files of the local papers, the local pub lib often has a historical business document file that can contain interesting things, and will almost always reply to email requests; if you can learn names of principles in the business, especially founders, there'll often be bios online that're helpful, and it's not at all unusual to find conflicting information. With sympathy, Bud
Old 06-19-2013, 03:19:58 PM
Registered-I

Latest update.

Had nice chat today with the general manager of plant. They are keeping all 3 engines and are planning on having them available in case the newer Cat throws a fit. Sounds like it sometimes has problems with electronic gremlins and doesn't like to start. They can't run the town on only the older engines, but they will provide some back up.

The Buckeye was installed in 1946, which makes it one of the last engines they built if they decided to close shop in 1947/48.

EPA has changed rules on older engines and is no longer requiring catalytic convertors if they are limited to 50 hours of run time a year.

Called the State of Ohio and they are going to research on availability of documents that are on microfilm. If they are still available they will make copies and send them to me. At that time I can scan and post.

Nothing like a good detective story to work on.
Something tells me that it will more involved than the Butler in the hall closet with candlestick.

Marshall

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Forgot to mention that the Buckeye is 5 cyl. That would tie in with what Bud's 1942 diesel catalog shows.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marshall Henderson For This Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56:27 PM
Registered-I

Here is another small tidbit of info from 1914.
Buckeye was a partnership before incorporating in 1914.

https://www.google.com/search?q=EDWA...-a&channel=rcs

Found this by searching on the last name, Neiswander, that was listed in the State of Ohio records.

The Bessemer connection is still not clear. Have not found the smoking gun on that part of the mystery, yet. Some place there is a "Ah Ha" clue that will start to pull all into one tidy mess.

Will keep searching.

Check in same Bat channel, same Bat time for the next episode.

Marshall
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13:29 PM
Registered-I

Only found one new piece of information.
Patent Number 1989230 was awarded on 1-29-1935 for a safety shut off device.
So far I have found NO other patents that relate to Buckeye. I find that to be rather strange. Is there any patent numbers listed on any of the other Buckeye engines at shows or in private collections?

Here is link
http://www.google.com/patents/US1989...page&q&f=false

Will keep looking. Any other ideas of possible places to search? Not sure when state of Ohio will get back to me with incorporation records.

Marshall
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54:08 AM
Registered-III

(Sigh)...lots of places, but gets more difficult from long distance...you need someone as curious as you in Lima or, at least, Allen county...
(1) the Lima pub lib will have set of annual City Directories; if you're not familiar with them, they index the city by (a) residents alphabetically; (b) street addresses and who lives there (c) telephone numbers and who they belong to, and (d) business names/addresses/type of business...don't know if any online. Many have correspondeing County directories, covering those outside of incorporated cities.
(2) If the Edward L/Maude(Maud) in Allen and Lima is your man, the CDs should give the name of his business/s...the 1900 census (Edw L only) jibes with the Edw L b1882 or so, died 1959 (the WWI draft is about right but WWII draft must be Edw L Jr??)...
These need someone in Lima to pore thru the books...
LONG SHOTS:
(3) How many Neiswanders now in Lima (present CD/phone book). Call, see if related to engine co...
(4) Post search on local craigslist etc; looking for descendants of Neiswander fmly owner of/with engine co...ditto on any other free site in Lima (Facebook Neiswanders etc??)...
(5) Local old engine/old machinery clubs/groups etc, that may have old timers with memories???
With luck the State records may include other business names to review/Google etc; obviously startup time is hazy, as well as the question of why the Ohio engine builder list said 1929...if you have questions or would like to discuss email me direct thru site. with sympathy, Bud

(Double sigh) I hate getting into this kind of gumbo...
Googling 'Neiswander Buckeye engine' brings up findagrave hit, a funeral notice for Edward L who (undoubtedly among other things, judging by the list of descendants) died 5-18-59, but had earlier "...founded Buckeye Machine Company in 1908 after buying the Bessemer Engine Co..." (Maude died 1944 or so; he later married Clara).
Googling 'Bessemer engine co lima ohio' brings up googlebooks listings for Bessemer, which I didn't pursue; tracking Bessemer back or up may provide more info...
It's past my bedtime (again); good night.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:23:25 PM
Registered-III

Ahhh...History of Allen County etc, Sam'l Baxter 1906 (Googlebooks) mentions that Bessemer Gas Engine Co of Grove City, PA, established "...a branch...incorporated under laws of Ohio..." at Lima in 1899...
While I'm not up on then PA or OH corporate law, that sounds more like a completely separate legal entity firm rather than a "branch", so if that's what Neiswander purchased (the Lima "branch") and it had been a separate company, he could be described as having purchased "Bessemer Gas Engine Co", just Bessemer Gas Eng Co of Lima, not Bessemer of Grove City...