Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

John Deere 4239 Diesel Engine Won’t Start and Won’t Fire on Ether

this thread has 72 replies and has been viewed 4922 times

Old 03-14-2018, 10:16:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,282 Times in 836 Posts
Default Re: John Deere 4239 Diesel Engine Wonít Start and Wonít Fire on Ether

Does the engine crank with a good constant chug-chug-chug-chug or does it go chug-chug-spin-chug-chug-chug-spin?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 10:46:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginenut2 View Post
these Roosa-Master pumps accomplish fuel shut off by raising the pump case pressure.
That is absolutely wrong. Shutoff is accomplished by the metering valve moving to "no fuel" position. The plugged return line will cause hydraulic lock in the pump housing & it will stop pumping, but that is NOT the way it normally shuts off.
Please elaborate on how Roosa-Master pumps have ruined more engines than ether...that is quite a statement, there is only about 5 million engines running with them.
Smokstak member #442
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 09:49:00 AM
Subscriber

I looked at a JD 444E loader yesterday, basically the same engine. It started & died when it was really cold, then they couldn't get it started again. They changed the fuel filter, but it wouldn't crank fast enough to start. They put a new battery in. Tried ether, it just locked up. I went out & bled the air out of the filter, but still no start. Cranked enough that the starter was smoking...Told him to charge the battery all night, went back yesterday, expecting to tell him the starter was fried, & it fired right off, runs good. He was convinced the inj. pump was bad, but it just wasn't cranking fast enough. The horrible, useless Roosie pump is working just fine...Underlying problem? The alternator wasn't charging...
I suspect if you get it to crank fast enough, it will start...

edit: This loader has about 12,000 hours on it, pump has never been off...
Smokstak member #442

Last edited by ronm; 03-15-2018 at 11:22:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:01:01 AM
Registered-I

I'm with ronm. If it won't start on ether, it's either got some kind of major internal problem that appeared suddenly, and how likely is that, or it's not spinning over fast enough.

What grade of oil is in it? If it's cold and has a heavy oil, that will slow down the cranking speed. A lot! I had this problem with my winter diesel tractor when it got near 0F and it was in a place I couldn't plug it in. Went from a 15W40 to a 10W30.. problem solved. I run it all year round with that oil now. If it's inside, you might put a heater to blow on the engine for a day or so (or plug the block heater in if it has one) and try it again with a fully charged battery. That won't cost much to try.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:25:58 PM
Registered-II

This is a puzzler. All of the comments prior are good suggestions but the thing that outweighs them to me is the fact that the engine won't flare or at least fire with ether. If a diesel engine is even remotely right and spinning, something ought to go bang when you give it a snort of ether. Here are three ideas that have not popped up yet.

Does the engine have a compression release? Make sure it is in the run position.

Can you have stuck exhaust valves?

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand? I am thinking of a hand crank or a wrench on the front crank pulley. If so does it turn over smoothly and easily (except of course for the compression?

I'm taking your statement at face value, that the engine was running well and was shut off normally then sat undisturbed for a period of time. This discounts things like a broken camshaft (but not a stripped timing gear or jumped timing chain, that could have failed when you most recently tried to start it hmmmmm....) or a thrown rod etc. If the engine has a compression release someone might have meddled with it without your knowledge. Moisture could have gotten into the engine somehow and caused valves to stick and/or rusted a cylinder/cylinders making the engine hard to turn over. Sticking valves could cause bent or broken push rods or rocker arms or cam drive problems. Any of these could be fallout from sitting.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:46:06 PM
Subscriber

In his post #1, he said it locked up on ether. that's what the loader I spoke of was doing. That's what they do when the starter won't spin it fast enough-the ether pre-ignites & it kicks back...
239 JD does not have a compression release.
Ya gotta spin it over, kids...
Smokstak member #442
Old 03-15-2018, 02:37:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,589 Times in 660 Posts

Interesting thread here.

If there is no smoke at cranking speed the pump for whatever reason has quit delivering fuel at low operating rpm. I suggest removing the pump and taking it back to the diesel shop were you had it repaired and have them verify if it indeed works. If there has been a failure you may have grounds for a warranty claim provided that you had installed the unit correctly.

Not firing on ether?...or starting fluid? This test doesn't reveal much as the ether content in some of the cheaper stuff is quite low and will hardly make a diesel engine rattle. Try a can John Deere starting fluid...70% ether...a little goes a long ways.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01:13 PM
Subscriber

I hate to keep going back to the loader I worked on yesterday, but there was no smoke to speak of when it was barely turning over. Has to make enough compression to ignite fuel, & that takes CRANKING SPEED!!! If it's going grunt...grunt...grunt...it ain't gonna go.
I think he said he had fuel coming out of the injector lines...
Smokstak member #442
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42:15 PM
Registered-II

"In his post #1, he said it locked up on ether. that's what the loader I spoke of was doing. That's what they do when the starter won't spin it fast enough-the ether pre-ignites & it kicks back...)

Yes of course you are right. I read that but forgot about it until after I wrote my post. Thinking back on it, in the 70's we had a small M-F loader with a Perkins diesel and in really cold weather it would do the same thing.

If that pump and the injectors have been doing their job, the cylinders might be wet with fuel. When it does start it may really take off until that's cleared out.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:04:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,366 Posts

Well, if we really think it's not cranking fast enough, take those two batteries and connect them in series instead of parallel. Obviously disconnect everything else, and tap between the batteries for the starter solenoid and the injection pump run solenoid. This will crank it somewhat more than twice as fast (assuming that the batteries are in decent shape), with only modestly more current.