Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Chrysler Dodge Diesel

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 9798 times

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48:37 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Chrysler Dodge Diesel

Thanks for the web site. I will have to visit the museum when I get down that way. Tod
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52:39 PM
Registered-I

Thanks guys for the great info. If you happen to ever be in New Hampshire give me a call at 603-547-8778 and I will be glad to show you this diesel and many more. Thanks again! Tod
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,201 Times in 940 Posts

Tod: Just realized I have 5 pages of basic Dodge Diesel info/specs in an old Thompsons' Repair manual.
No dig cam or scanner, but should xerox OK; if you'd like copies send mailing adds to pitybud@msn.com. Bud
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 02-12-2009, 11:10:13 AM
Registered

The ATHS website - aths.org - has some folkd with knowledge of Dodge diesels on it. There has been at least one thread in the last several months. Post an inquiry on Road Kill Cafe section and Tech Questions section and someone will reply. Also do a search for Dodge Diesel and see what comes up. I have heard that the design was sold to Perkins after WW2, but I am not certain of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ppsyclone For This Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 11:01:07 AM
Registered-I

I'm resurrecting this because I am working on a story on this engine for Vintage Smoke. I don't have much time to finish it, mainly because I got a case of the "black death" that had me down for a while. That's why I am working over the New Years Holiday.

Maybe a few of you have updated comments. enginenut2, if you still have your ears on, I am interested in the '45 entry in the #10 Diesel Engine Catalog. I have #7 ('42) that also has the engine, as well as the '42 Motor Truck Repair Manual that has a section on it.I also found a '41 truck brochure on the diesel option. Hoping to nail down the production dates. I know they didn't come in trucks after '42 and that they don't show up in trucks after WWII, but it seems as if they may have tried to restart the effort in the industrial realm after WWII, if nothing else by offering previously built but unsold engines.

So, if anyone out there is paying attention over the new year's holiday, and not too hung over, the first week of the new year, I will be (regretfully) sober and tuned in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sooty Jim For This Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 10:54:07 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,873 Times in 947 Posts

I don't have any info on the Dodge Diesel but can report the Truck Museum in Middlebury is long dead. It closed about 10 years ago after the owner passed away and funds dried up to maintain it. Good luck. Ed B
Old 01-01-2018, 08:31:44 AM
Registered-I

Yeah, I found out about the museum. I have a fair bit of info now but can always use more to get it right. I am hoping Tod Smith still has his ears on... sent him a PM about hat power unit. It's an interesting engine and on paper appears to be a better than average adaptation of a HD gas engine to diesel. Made possible, of course, by the Lanova system's gentle manner. Both the gas six and the diesel had identical 7-main lower ends and shared the same bore and stroke. What was most interesting is that both the gas and diesel 331 sixes were about the same power and torque, but Dodge did a lot of economy tests and the diesel was about 40 percent more efficient on the dyno and in real world tests in trucks over 37,000 miles of mixed terrain, the diesel deliver 28% better mpg (5.23 mpg average vs 3.74). The mystery is why it ended after WWII.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:55:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,738 Times in 2,260 Posts

Ebay a Dodge truck shop manual for 46-50 trucks. There's a good section on these engines explaining the Lanova operation, servicing, rebuilding etc. I have one of these manuals from when I had my 48 Power Wagon.

Only speculation as to why they quit them, perhaps too expensive, unreliable, or maybe availability of diesel fuel.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:08:09 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Ebay a Dodge truck shop manual for 46-50 trucks. There's a good section on these engines explaining the Lanova operation, servicing, rebuilding etc. I have one of these manuals from when I had my 48 Power Wagon.
Somewhere in my labyrinthine office, I have one of VPWs reprints of the Dodge manual. Gonna dig for it! Thanks for the tip! If there is a section in it on the Chrysler Industrial Diesel, that would lead me to believe they were still producing it in the '46-50 era but that flies in the face of other evidence. It shows up in the '45 Diesel Engine Catalog (but I have no details from the exact listing yet) but I have not found a listing yet that it was available in trucks after '42. Gotta keep looking until I can answer that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Only speculation as to why they quit them, perhaps too expensive, unreliable, or maybe availability of diesel fuel.
Yeah, infrastructure (fuel stations, repair facilities, etc.) was one important reason why diesels were a slow starter in the immediate post WWII era for road vehicles. Everything was set up for gassers.

The big truck realm was one of the earliest places to gain diesel acceptance... for many reasons. Mainly the bigger trucks were large enough to accept a diesel powerful enough to compete with the gassers, which were more compact engines, generally speaking. With them being on the road all the time for long hauls, they repaid the extra buy-in costs quickly with fuel savings.

The Dodge diesel trucks I know about were nominally 3-tons, which is at the very bottom edge of the heavy truck realm and at the top of the medium. 'Tweeners! Neither the gas nor the diesel engine was quite big or powerful enough for a really big HD truck, though. IMO anyway. About 100-110 hp and 240 lbs-ft.

The medium duty truck market didn't get on the diesel bandwagon until the '60s, again mainly due to infrastructure and buy-in costs. Cost was always a factor and even with improved fuel economy and fuel costs being only 25-30% of gasoline, it still took a long time the amortize the additional 30 percent cost of a diesel truck. Business decision.

I haven't heard about any reliability issues with the Dodge engine, though that doesn't necessarily mean there weren't any. Darn few of them made. Only about 600 trucks listed between '39 and '42. The highest SN engine I have seen or heard about thus far is around 3700.

---------- Post added at 10:08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24:19 AM ----------

Postscript: I found the manual and it covers the '41-47 W-series trucks, which would include the diesel. I have some Branhams books back into the '30s and the Dodge sections do not list a diesel option after 1942, so I am now confident they were not sold in trucks after that time. Sure would like to know why, though?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooty Jim For This Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 12:40:10 PM
Registered-II

Sooty, Interesting note from the 1946 Motors manual of 1946,the last publication I have mentioning the "Goat" Diesel, "engine model is identified as being the prefix to the engine s/n." Chart lists: 1939-model T84, 1940-mod T106, 1941-1946 mod T126. Quite sometime back a marine mechanic in AU. posting as RAYMAN, testified on OLDMARINEENGINE.COM, testified a bit of his extensive experience concerning these engines-which I believe he called a "Chrysler Crown". Some really good pictures and info in that volume 10 (1945) "Diesel Engine Catalog. Volume 8 (1943) presents only the 100 HP automotive version and volume 2 (1937) no mention nor does my next later volume 19 (1954-1955). Maybe someone can fill in the gaps with their literature. Let me know if I can help w/copies which will be much better than my scans, but???