Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

5hp Atlas Imperial Engine

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 6043 times

Old 09-17-2010, 07:17:57 PM
Registered-II

Default 5hp Atlas Imperial Engine

I have been watching this engine on Craigslist for almost two months now (didn't have the cash to pick it up when I first saw it). The price kept coming down and I was finally able to pick it up. Its an Atlas Imperial engine model 1LA3. Its a 5HP. Looks to be complete with all gauges and filters. The oil pressure gauge has printed on it " Atlas Imperial Diesel" which I thought was Pretty neat. Hasn't been run in at least ten years. It originally came out of a small logging town in the coast Mtn range here in Oregon. Hope to have it up and running soon. I have wanted an Atlas Imperial diesel for a long time but don't have the room for one of the big diesels so I was really excited to find this much smaller diesel with the Atlas Imperial brass tag on it. I have searched in this forum and found some info on this engine, is there any way to date this engine?
Thanks
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0714a.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	87718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715a.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	87719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716a.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	87720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717a.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	87721  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan M For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2010, 09:35:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,274 Times in 489 Posts
Default Re: 5hp Atlas Imperial Engine

pretty neat engine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip Landis For This Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 11:50:03 AM
Registered-II

Another question that I have come up with is what is the canister next to the oil filter? The fuel does run through it so it must be a filter or water seperator? Can it be cleaned and reused or do I need to try to find a replacement? I tried searching the Bosch number that was on top of it but couldn't find anything.
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan M For This Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 12:03:43 PM
Registered-III

i would give a guess that it would be a fuel filter normaly i see simular setups on other old diesel engines to have a fuel and oil filters. Looks like there gonna be some massive electrical work and cleaning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ehpower2 For This Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52:31 PM
Subscriber

The filter looks to be an American Bosch # FSA-10A-3, going by the number on the top of my new old stock one out of the box. I also have a new old one in an opened box but I let the sun get to the number on the box so it disappeared. There seem to be a few others with different suffix numbers or lack thereof, so maybe there are different media sizes available like with many filter styles.

Does your's look like these? I was going to use mine on an injector tester for my shop but I certainly could also sell them for a good price if anybody needs them as I have different filters I can use for the tester.

The inlet is on the "top" and has a bleeder. The outlet is on bottom and has a drain screw.

Hope this is useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amboschfilter 001.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	87854   Click image for larger version

Name:	amboschfilter 003.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	87855   Click image for larger version

Name:	amboschfilter 004.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	87858   Click image for larger version

Name:	amboschfilter 007.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	87859  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidDynamo For This Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 10:18:10 PM
Registered-II

Ryan, I have your engine pictured in my 1945 diesel engine catalog and they are talking about it being an new development so that dates it as early as just after ww2 and they are calling it an Atlas-Lanova.Lanova would be the designers of the patented combustion system which they licensed to several manufacturers.They show 2 sizes 5 HP and a 3 cyl 15 HP both operating the generator @ 1800 RPM. Bore 3 1/8" stroke 3 3/4" compression ratio 15:1.the 1 cyl was 3 KW and the 3 cyl was 6KW or 9KW @ 80% Power factor.they picture it on hoists, pumps and a combination generator and air compressor.They offered electtric start.your starting equipment looks like Delco typical of late 40's or 50's--actually more like 50's---see the necked down body on the gen.
My next newer diesel engine catalog 1954 doesn't show this line of engines and is showing atlas as manufactured by the national supply co angine division and calling them Superior-Atlas.Progress was killing another good old line of engines.
My guess would put your engine in the early 50's for manufacture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enginenut2 For This Post:
Old 09-20-2010, 11:41:01 PM
Registered-II

Thanks guys for all the great info. Ehpower2, yes its going to need a good cleaning. All the wires seem to be going to the right places but could be redone a little nicer. KidDynamo, I used the part number you listed and went to my local parts store and got a filter. It matched up perfect. I could have probably saved a couple bucks buying one of yours but I have a bad habbit of getting in a hurry. Enginenut2, thanks for all the info. I hoped it was a little older than that (like maybe 1939;-) but I still really like the engine and won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Can hardly wait to hear it run. All the internals show very little wear and the bearings are nice and tight. I relapped the valves and gave the cylinder a really light honing and carefully cleaned the injector and pump. Should have it running in the next couple days. Still debating repainting it but it has a lot of original paint so I will probably leave it for now. Enginenut2, do you have any scans of the articles you have on this engine?
Ryan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan M For This Post:
Old 09-21-2010, 03:04:49 AM
Registered-III

i would say dont paint it leave it as is and get it running top notch i think it looks great as is. Atleast you have all the wires going to the right place had an old delco light plant i had to sort out and boy some of those gennys can be a night mare
The Following User Says Thank You to ehpower2 For This Post:
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56:07 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
Enginenut2, do you have any scans of the articles you have on this engine?
Ryan
Ryan, Be glad to share scans/copies.From my past performance on scans, I think I can get you better reproductions with copies from the local shop which I will do if I can get a mailing address and an idea of how many pages of the entire Atlas-Superior article you would need.The info on the little engine would be only about 5 pages.
regards
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to enginenut2 For This Post:
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46:26 PM
Registered-II

Bob, I sent you a msg.
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan M For This Post: