Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > Other Vintage and Antique Collectibles > Antiques for the Home > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Anyone ever seen a steam engine toy like this? I can't find anything similar online!

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2040 times

Old 08-24-2017, 07:57:59 PM
Registered

Default Anyone ever seen a steam engine toy like this? I can't find anything similar online!

Hello - attached are a few pictures of an old steam-engine toy that has been in my family for decades, this was my grandfathers and possibly my great grandfathers. When I was a kid he told me it used to work, but he told me that over 30 years ago... Now that it has become officially mine I'm interested in learning more about it and determining if I could/should try to get it to work and possibly restore it. I've be scouring the internet for a week just trying to find a picture of something similar so I could identify this toy and learn more about it. The only marking I can find on it is the little plate in the front that looks like it has the word "Patent" on it.

Does anyone have any guesses? Or suggestions on where else to search?

(I have more pictures I can upload or take some additional ones if it would help)

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2813.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	289365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2815.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	289366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2816.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	289367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	289368  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to satori100 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2017, 08:02:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone ever seen a steam engine toy like this? I can't find anything similar onl

Here's a few more pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2814.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	289369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	289370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2817.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	289371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2819.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	289372  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satori100 For This Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:07:34 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,005 Times in 3,084 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever seen a steam engine toy like this? I can't find anything similar onl

I'm thinking it's a German built toy. I see the water glass is missing. I believe the burner is alcohol fueled, a few parts may be missing from the burner. Should be possible to get it going without too much grief. I'll bet the Clemmens boys will be able to id it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:17:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,987 Times in 3,784 Posts

Never seen one like it, but it's a Beauty whatever make & model it is.

Everyone has different ideas when it comes to "restoring" things, but my thoughts (and maybe mine alone) are along the lines of trying to get it working again without too many changes and leaving the "Cosmetic" aspects AS IS with nothing more than a Light Dusting to clean it up a little WITHOUT any rubbing or polishing or other 'heavy cleaning'.

That Being Said though, it is yours to do with as you please.

Thank You for showing it to us.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 12:25:22 AM
Subscriber

ooooh Nice!!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:27:37 PM
Registered

Being German-made is certainly likely; my great-grandfather was born in Germany and came to the U.S. not long before my grandfather was born. Unfortunately I have no idea if this was something he brought along or if it was purchased in the U.S.

I am expecting to get to talk to my great aunt over the weekend, she is the last one still living from my grandfathers generation. She would have been really young back then, but I will see if she remembers the toy and has any other info that could help us identify it.
The Following User Says Thank You to satori100 For This Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 02:09:54 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,005 Times in 3,084 Posts

I'm rather surprised that some one from the live steam toy collectors hasn't spoken up. There were a lot of those type toys available here as well. A few names like Flieshman, Bing, marklin come to mind. But I'm no authority by any means, we had a little similar unit when I was a kid. A lot newer as it used those solid white cubes. I think pop bought it at the Air Base surplus store as many folks being transferred to other bases would often sell off excess personal items as they couldn't ship every thing they accumulated. Sears catalog also sold a line of that type toy back in the catalog days.

Last edited by FWurth; 08-26-2017 at 05:21:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:47:02 PM
Subscriber

What you have was made by Marklin in Germany before the first world war. It's also quite rare and valuable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brent Rowell For This Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 06:40:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,094 Posts

I agree with Brent.... a very rare Marklin and quite valuable.

Gil
Old 08-27-2017, 05:11:48 PM
Registered

Thank you to everyone who has given me some information. I talked to my great Aunt today, fortunately at 92 she is still pretty sharp. She didn't know the history concerning if this was something her dad had and handed down to the boys, or if it was something he bought for them before she was born... but she said they had it as far back as she could remember and it always looked old as dirt to her, even back then! She said it worked flawlessly back then, and it was great hearing the stories of my grandfather and his brother who played with it incessantly and wouldn't let her or their other little sisters ever touch it.

Hearing of the rarity of it and potential value now I'm nervous to do the wrong thing trying to clean it up or tinker with it... but would still love to get this running and actually bring it to where she is now in North Carolina for a visit. She recently lost her husband, leaving her as the only living person from their generation in our family - I can only imagine the joy she'd get out seeing this toy again, especially running.

I'll start doing some research in my spare time on Malkin and see what I can learn myself - if any of you have more input or more ideas on where to learn more just point me in the right direction.

Thank you again!
Old 08-27-2017, 06:43:22 PM
Subscriber

Hello again,
It's great to be able to trace a piece like that to its original owner, especially if it's in your own family. I would be happy to advise you regarding restoration, cleaning, and potentially running the engine, but it's not something I can write about in a short post or email--it's a long conversation. I have restored and reconditioned many Marklin and other toy steam engines of this vintage, some even in worse condition, but there are techniques and skills acquired over a 30-year period. If this were a lesser engine of little value, then it doesn't matter much how you do it, but you have one of the masterworks and the job shouldn't be taken lightly, even cleaning. It has already lost a fair bit of paint and lithography, but the losses should stop with you; you should absolutely preserve what is left without trying touch-ups or quick fixes.

In all honesty the running condition doesn't really matter for serious collectors. Yes, it could be brought back to running condition. Should you risk any damage to do it?--absolutely not. The first rule for something like this is to "do no harm". If you want to show your grandmother how it runs it would be best to do it with a small air compressor than risk using the alcohol burner and live steam.

I also have photos and catalog images of your engine in my reference materials. Give me a call or send an email and we can talk about it.
Brent
The Following User Says Thank You to Brent Rowell For This Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 06:58:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,094 Posts

Yes, do reach out to Brent. He has given me some priceless advice whilst I cleaned up a few early engines.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:18:19 PM
Subscriber

Hi Brent,

I do agree this is a magnificent example of the early workshops.

Dave

Last edited by DavesEngineRoom; 08-27-2017 at 09:21:07 PM. Reason: Wrong message
Old 12-12-2017, 04:45:46 PM
Registered-I

Thats a beauty !.What ever you decide to do with it you must NOT restore it or repaint it in any way !.Any restoration would de-value it.Maybe just a very gentle clean up.The great early 20th century German tin toy and toy steam manufacturers were Marklin,Doll,Bing,Ernst Plank,Carrette and Schoener.Most were based in Nuremberg which was the tin toy capital of the world.