Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Ran my CCK on Natural gas for first time today. I have some QUESTIONS.

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1358 times

Old 02-13-2014, 09:43:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,207 Posts
Default Ran my CCK on Natural gas for first time today. I have some QUESTIONS.

After about 2 years of casually acquiring and rebuilding the parts needed, I did a temporary hook up and ran the 5.0CCK on natural gas. I have set up the engine with a set of the high compression heads and I set the timing and plug gap to a middle range to please both settings for gasoline and vapor. It started right up and coughed a little until I got the fuel screw opened enough.
A few years ago I bought natural gas only stock CCK carburetor. The guy also sold me the 12 volt gas valve and Garretson regulator. It was all in real good shape. I took the carburetor and installed gasoline parts in it and converted it to manual choke. The vapor only had no choke rod or flap in it. I disassembled both the regulator and solenoid valve, cleaned them and clear coated them.
I checked the generator with about 10 amps on each side, 20 amps total.
QUESTIONS:
1) I have the MAIN gas screw open just under 3 turns out. Is that about right?
2) I have the small pilot screw out about 2 turns.
3) How do you set the BRASS adjuster screw on the GARRETSON regulator? Here is a link to the regulator I am using only mine is older. You can see the brass adjuster screw. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170876334508?lpid=82
I tried to figure it out by energizing the gas shut off valve and moving the screw each way thinking that you set it until the vapor flows on its own then turn the screw the opposite way until the flow stops. This test was done with the output hose from the regulator disconnected from the carburetor, the solenoid valve energized and engine off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	187869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	187870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2066 (960x1280).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	187871  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,218 Posts
Default Re: Ran my CCK on Natural gas for first time today. I have some QUESTIONS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
QUESTIONS:
3) How do you set the BRASS adjuster screw on the GARRETSON regulator?
ANSWERS:
1) I apply something close to max load to the set, and lean out the mixture screw until the set just starts to loose speed, then back it out a tad.

2) If that's the idle screw, I've not seen it make any significant difference.

3) If it was a new KN, don't adjust it. If you've already tinkered with it, see pp 26-27 of Onan 967-0754 (JB genset manual), which I can send if you need it...

Question for you: what's the max load your CCK will carry on natural gas?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:40:01 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ran my CCK on Natural gas for first time today. I have some QUESTIONS.

One of the Onan manuals - maybe the Master service manual? - had an idle screw adjustment procedure:

You override ( or disconnect ) the governor and get it to idle around 800 - 900 rpm. Then you adjust the screw in the normal fashion - lean it out until the speed drops, then richen it up a little. You need to lock the throttle reasonably well so you know it's the mixture that's causing the speed change.

The second step is to open the throttle quickly from idle to running speed. If it stumbles, richen it up a little more and try to smooth it out.

I think this is basically the same as adjusting a car with a carb. The only difference is you have to ignore / override the governor to adjust it, then reconnect it when you're done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted_Cool For This Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56:04 PM
Subscriber

Jim, Thanks for the reply. I searched the web for adjustment specs and couldn't find any so if you could send me the JB manual, I'd appreciate it.
On MY 5kw CCK, I can't tell you yet if it will do full output on NG. I have read, I believe here, that the 5KW CCK WILL handle up to stated KW rating on natural gas. I am at about 900 ft above sea level. I put the 7 to 1 heads on it and set the timing in the middle between the gasoline and vapor settings. I'd have to find TWO 20 amp loads to test for full output.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:06:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,218 Posts

PM me with your email...
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,197 Times in 1,811 Posts

Excellent job on the project Motorhead.

I'm working slowly on my 15 kW project and I'm down to the NG piping and hookups. Where did you get the infeed hose and QD's. I've looked at a few places and the prices made me gasp.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:31:27 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Excellent job on the project Motorhead.

I'm working slowly on my 15 kW project and I'm down to the NG piping and hookups. Where did you get the infeed hose and QD's. I've looked at a few places and the prices made me gasp.
The hose which is a 1.25 ID and a bit of an over kill for a little CCK, I found on ebay. The Dormont 3/4 inch pipe valve with quick disconnect, I found also on ebay. The 3/4 Dormont swivel sells for about $90 but I was the only bidder on ebay so I only paid $19.00 plus shipping. I bought the single Dormont quick disconnect on line at Same Day Distributing, http://www.same-day.com/ They had the best prices by far.
The 3/4 disconnect was only $44.50 and I see that the valve with disconnect is $68.00. I would think that 3/4" to a 1" would be plenty for a JC.
Ebay is generally the first place I go for stuff then compare prices online.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:46:47 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
After about 2 years of casually acquiring and rebuilding the parts needed, I did a temporary hook up and ran the 5.0CCK on natural gas. I have set up the engine with a set of the high compression heads and I set the timing and plug gap to a middle range to please both settings for gasoline and vapor. It started right up and coughed a little until I got the fuel screw opened enough.
A few years ago I bought natural gas only stock CCK carburetor. The guy also sold me the 12 volt gas valve and Garretson regulator. It was all in real good shape. I took the carburetor and installed gasoline parts in it and converted it to manual choke. The vapor only had no choke rod or flap in it. I disassembled both the regulator and solenoid valve, cleaned them and clear coated them.
I checked the generator with about 10 amps on each side, 20 amps total.
QUESTIONS:
3) How do you set the BRASS adjuster screw on the GARRETSON regulator? Here is a link to the regulator I am using only mine is older. You can see the brass adjuster screw. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170876334508?lpid=82
I tried to figure it out by energizing the gas shut off valve and moving the screw each way thinking that you set it until the vapor flows on its own then turn the screw the opposite way until the flow stops. This test was done with the output hose from the regulator disconnected from the carburetor, the solenoid valve energized and engine off.
Motorhead,
I am currently assembling parts for the same conversion. What is the ID of the hose that runs from Garretson to carb?
thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 12:04:34 AM
Subscriber

The hose ID is 1/2"
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post: