Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Cleaning Slip Rings on Onan smaller generators

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4565 times

Old 02-16-2014, 10:20:11 PM
Registered-I

Default Cleaning Slip Rings on Onan smaller generators

Can some one instruct me on the procedure for cleaning slip rings on the smaller CCK, BFG and NH generators as well as with what. Can a visual inspection tell you whether or not they need cleaning ?

Also is this part of scheduled maintenance ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,975 Times in 1,284 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning Slip Rings on Onan smaller generators

its pretty straight forward once you know what your looking at. the newer square bfa gen ends are a little different but youll get the idea..

once you pull the cover off you'll see.. most have the two screws on the back that are 5/16th and another piece that wraps around the generator you'll have to unscrew from the bottom side.. some have a band type latch like the bfa's

first you need to check to see if the brushes move free, these are the black things that ride on the copper part. they can be brittle and crack or chip easy sometimes so be careful.. usually you can pull the spring pressing them down up a bit and stick a small flat head screwdriver under them or use needle nose pliers .. just be gentle not to chip them.. and see if they will go up.. sometimes they stick so you need to spray them with something of your choice.. ive never actually had one stuck bad enough to need to use anything... be sure to dry them very good with compressed air before starting your gen if you do.. make sure no battery is hooked up while your doing this.

cleaning the rings is like cleaning a dirty dinner plate with a sponge only using scotch bright and only cleaning the built up black parts till there shinny again.. rotating the engine as you clean each spot.. usually space is tight.... makes it much easier to remove the spark plugs first.. just makes sure you blow all the dust and stuff out and make sure everything is dry before starting it up.... also a good time to inspect for any lose brittle or mouse chewed wires while your back there..

This is normal maintenance .. should be done every 200 hours and inspected every 50 or so.. visually if you see black lines over the copper slip rings it needs to be done.

when I got my first cck it did not produce power.. after finding this site and asking questions I got it working like a charm after cleaning the slip rings and checking the brushes.. these old onans are real easy to fix if your patient and read a little before jumping in.. just be careful and don't force anything..

here is the link for when I was learning how to do this.. you can see how dirty the copper slip rings are.. they should be shiny http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117283
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11:55 PM
Registered-I

Thanks YelloLister. Last week I checked the 4 sections of the brushes and I did find 1 that was sticking and took care of that problem. So I guess you are saying that I can remove one section of brush holders and clean the entire set of rings by rotating the flywheel to a new section. They "looked" pretty good to me but this old guy was the home of mud dobbers for many years .
Old 02-16-2014, 11:15:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,975 Times in 1,284 Posts

I did not remove the brushes.. but you could.. it is kind of tight.. but once you start taking things apart that haven't been in 35 plus years u never know what can happen.. id try it without taking stuff apart first.. get someone to turn the engine over by hand as you hold the scotch bright on the rings..
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,219 Posts

The Onan manuals for the old JB/JC, CCK and BGA don't mention that periodic slip ring cleaning is needed. Further, for they say to NOT attempt to maintain a 'bright' surface.

In my experience, running the set occasionally provides all the cleaning needed for the slip rings.

The biggest issue I've had is that the brushes stick in the holders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	188227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	188229  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 11:35:12 PM
Registered-I

Thanks guys,
I now have a Presidents Day project that I can do cheaply at worst and free possibly except for the labor.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51:09 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,186 Times in 969 Posts

I agree with Jim. Sliprings can have a dark streak where the brushes run and perform perfectly. If you cannot get it to work, then by all means clean them and check the brushes, but if you're running your generator fairly often and it's making voltage etc, don't worry about keeping the rings shiny, just make sure the brushes don't get too short or stuck.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,409 Times in 3,930 Posts

You have a different design genhead than my Onan NHM so it likely doesn't matter for you. But it's intersting that on mine after it sits for ~3 months I've found sections of resistance increase (brush to brush thru the slip rings) of ~200 ohm due to brush/ring contact resistance, previously was < 1 ohm. The more interesting thing is the slip ring at those points has almost no change in appearence. Mine are not brown.

Your design runs more amps thru brushes than mine (mine < 3amps), so that may help self clean them. Mine only runs field magnetizing amps thru brushes, yours runs starting amps (~300) and output AC amps thru them.