Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

How about some of the best Onan deals you've made

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 2856 times

Old 02-04-2014, 02:15:56 PM
Email Not Working

Default Re: How about some of the best Onan deals you've made

The best deal I got was on a 5.0CCK-3CR. About 10 years I moved and sold it to a friend because I was moving into a rental house and didn't have a place for it. Fast forward about 9 years and I get a call from the guy I sold it to. He said he tried to start it and it wouldn't start. He replaced the ignition coil and spark plugs and it still didn't start. He ask if I was interested in it and I ask what he wanted for it... He said I could have it. SO I got back my old CCK for free and it turned out he replaced the old 6 volt coil with a 12 volt coil and didn't remove the ballast resistor and put in new spark plugs that had the gap set at about .040. I gaped the plugs and jumped out the ballast resistor and it started right up.

CCK's are still my favorite. My only wish is that they were about 200 lbs. lighter.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2014, 02:27:01 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: How about some of the best Onan deals you've made

My 6.5 NH was a Craigslist find, and was local. Story was that it was used in a natural gas transmission microwave facility, and was removed and replaced with a unit that burned, of all things, natural gas (this unit is gasoline)!

Listed for $400; offered him $200 and he took it. Was mounted on a trailer that the guy wanted to keep; he brought the unit by and let me keep the trailer long enough to get the genny off. Needed a control board (Flight Systems) and solenoid (NAPA); ran and generated fine after those items. Now mounted on a Harbor Freight trailer with boat tank and battery; probably have about $700 in it now.

My oldest unit is an early '60's 5.0 CCK engine (was a manual-start generator) bolted to a 6.5 MCCK genend. Have had the original unit since high school (free); let it sit up for a long time because it was so hard to start manually. A 6.5 MCCK with bad engine showed up on Fleabay, $100, and was local! Put the two together and mounted it on another Harbor Freight trailer. Only problem with this one is that the engine is not Vacu-Flo; have to leave the cover open to run it.

Dave Edmonds
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48:28 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: How about some of the best Onan deals you've made

My best ONAN is a 6mdjb that came out of a 1966 boat the price was $100 after looking at 20 tears of rust I offered $50 and it was loaded in my truck. It has ben installed at my home since1999 and has saved us countless times since then
Old 02-04-2014, 05:39:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,605 Posts

My wife and I were driving to the market one Sunday morning for the weeks groceries. I see this old guy in a 12 valve Dodge Diesel with smoke coming from under the hood. Being a Dodge Diesel guy, I stopped and helped. The Inj pump solenoid had stuck and was melting. The guy was from out of town as he was moving from my area over to the San Joaquin valley. I jerry rigged his truck so it would run and get him home. We talked as I was working on his truck about all the stuff he had and he told me he had a 1968, 2A042 military 5kw Onan generator. He asked me if I was interested in them and I said yes. I wouldn't take any money from him for working on his truck and he left. About two weeks later, I come home from work and here is this military generator set sitting in my carport with a note that said "THANKS" The guy I had helped gave me this generator for helping him with his truck. I got it running, it was one of those 3600 rpm screamers. I used it as a back up for my house for several years until I got my 8kw Dayton/ Generac diesel done. I sold the 2A042 for $200.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 05:44:32 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
My wife and I were driving to the market one Sunday morning for the weeks groceries. I see this old guy in a 12 valve Dodge Diesel with smoke coming from under the hood. Being a Dodge Diesel guy, I stopped and helped. The Inj pump solenoid had stuck and was melting. The guy was from out of town as he was moving from my area over to the San Joaquin valley. I jerry rigged his truck so it would run and get him home. We talked as I was working on his truck about all the stuff he had and he told me he had a 1968, 2A042 military 5kw Onan generator. He asked me if I was interested in them and I said yes. I wouldn't take any money from him for working on his truck and he left. About two weeks later, I come home from work and here is this military generator set sitting in my carport with a note that said "THANKS" The guy I had helped gave me this generator for helping him with his truck. I got it running, it was one of those 3600 rpm screamers. I used it as a back up for my house for several years until I got my 8kw Dayton/ Generac diesel done. I sold the 2A042 for $200.
That's a nice story MotorHead. Good for you !!!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32:10 PM
Registered-I

I'll play

My best deal was the ones that the sellers sold their's to me lol

I havent had much luck other than finding what I believe to be a real AJ for the Ford Power Pak to put back into my old truck.

Other than that I have a paperweight 4.0cck mostly complete, a 4.5TS that runs but havent been able to flash the field properly yet, and a 2.5LK that runs poorly but makes power. Oh well maybe when its not sooo cold and crappy out.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33:03 PM
Registered-III

My best deal is the local ABC TV affiliate's Chief Engineer gave me my 6.5NH(AUX)-3CR (1985) that came out of one of their live trucks. It had been used as backup for a couple of years after they took it out of the truck until they got their new 650kw Cat. It had been sitting in one of their bays for at least six years that I know of not being used before they gave it to me. I also got the complete truck control panel including "Shore/Genset" switch and gauges and a heavy duty u-channel steel cart. This unit has the Vernatherm cold weather kit on it along with factory electronic ignition.

Next I picked up a 4.0CCK-3CR (1975) for $175.00 that had little run time on it including marine battery case, muffler, and a 35gal truck saddle tank 1/3 full of good gas. Sold the genset to a nice young couple in Williamsburg, Va (kept the tank and battery case). Gave them a disk with all the manuals on it.

Last is my 15.0JC-3CR (1970) that came out of the home of a disabled Vet that had been on an iron lung. It appears to have basically just the exercise time and maybe a few outages on it. It came with the original Onan approx 12gal tank but has so much rust inside I do not know what to do with it. This is a baffled tank. The guy threw away the transfer switch even though it was in good shape. Got it for $600.

Now I just need to find a 12.5kw Kubota/Onan.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:01:30 PM
Registered-II

I got my 6.0 DJB from my brother who got it for free.
He couldn't figgure out a need for it.
No money changed hands. But we do help each other from time to time.
My genset was originally a backup abord a Canadian frigate.
It had very low hours.
Once I found the Stak we found out how to get it going and all is well.
My best genset deal was Cat 46-30 genset complete with a 1/2 ton truckload of new old stock parts for 200 dollars. It came from a lighthouse and was very well maintained until taken out of servive about 20 years ago.
Ed Sparks has his eye on it but can't quite figgure out where its stashed...lol
Regards Chris
Old 02-05-2014, 08:13:10 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,061 Posts

I've got more need for that nice CAT dozer you have hidden across the Bay Chris.

I see the new Ferry between Portland & Yarmouth is scheduled to start running in MAY. $89.00 pp & vehicle fee each way.
9 hour overnight sail from here. It will sail right by our island twice a day
Speaking of ::: you should be getting todays snowstorm just about now. Dumped a foot on us and just starting to taper off now. radar shows it headed your way.
Ed
Old 02-05-2014, 08:18:39 PM
Registered-II

The sweat deal the province has cooked up on the new ferry forgot to mention a few things.
The ferry was already built and would not pass sea trials for the area it was built...scares me because the north Atlantic is not a nice playground by times.
You can come over any time and play with the dozer all you want.
Seems I have hijacked the thread.
Sorry.
Chris