Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 4421 replies and has been viewed 294379 times

Old 10-08-2014, 11:35:26 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

That is why they sell flappers for tractor exhaust pipes, to keep the rain out. But you still might want to rethink the muffler mounting. I've read plenty of posts where they mention damage to cast iron exhaust headers due to unsupported weight in the exhaust system. And Onan always recommends a section of flexible exhaust pipe between the engine and the muffler. You've got a large weight on the end of a stick and you're waving it around waiting for the stick to break.

That sure is an impressive rebuild on the generator! Absolutely beautiful!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2014, 11:48:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Reed View Post
That is why they sell flappers for tractor exhaust pipes, to keep the rain out. But you still might want to rethink the muffler mounting. I've read plenty of posts where they mention damage to cast iron exhaust headers due to unsupported weight in the exhaust system. And Onan always recommends a section of flexible exhaust pipe between the engine and the muffler. You've got a large weight on the end of a stick and you're waving it around waiting for the stick to break.

That sure is an impressive rebuild on the generator! Absolutely beautiful!
Thanks Doug... As for the support of the muffler, I got that covered. I am fabricating a support bracket that will attach the lift bracket (not pictured) that will attach to the 1/2 bolt hole in each valve cover top. The tops of the valve covers are extremely strong , strong enough to support 700 lbs. The Cherry Bomb is actually very light. When the entire muffler is properly supported with little/no stress on the flange, there should be no need for a flex joint. If the muffler was not mounted on the same motor body block, then there would be a need for flex joint.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 12:34:05 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB View Post
A friend of mine had a cherry bomb on his 65 Mustang straight six. The car was as slow as #ell it made a horrible sound. We called it the Blapidy Blap machine. It was not very mellow on that car. You will have to do a Youtube video so we can here it.
I had a Falcon split 4 and 2 sounded OK for a 6 and everyone knew it was me coming.
Also had 2 carbs and a Touch and Go (the worlds worst) shifter from JC Whitney used to tear up 3 speed tranys about 1 a week

Butch
Old 10-09-2014, 07:23:14 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtrap View Post
Johnnie- your dating yourself, cherry bomb. That brings back memories, had them on my GTO, really pissed people off.
Yeah, it's always fun to piss people off...

Here, i'll show you what I mean...

Fact: I had a '65 tri-power GTO. The "performance" was pathetic and the handling was worse and the brakes were a joke.
I even jerked the 389 anchor and put a '70 455 in it with the tri-power intake, and that thing still wouldn't pull your hat off...
and so I say, with experience,
The "O" in GTO was for O ver-rated...
Old 10-09-2014, 07:44:19 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,475 Posts

While I liked the styling we reffered to them as GTslOw.
The Following User Says Thank You to MBB For This Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04:05 AM
Subscriber

Johnny, I like the cherry bomb in fact I have installed a pair on my Buick that I am restoring they sound great ! It will work very well on your generator. your plan to support the outlet of the muffler sounds good.

Bob
Old 10-09-2014, 09:23:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,408 Posts

He says that since heat rises I think I will be OK. Maybe not. The first six or eight inches of the exhaust turns cherry red hot and may do a number on your nice paint job. All though if he is running it on a 20 pound propane cylinder he will never load it up very much. Sound like this effort was for show and tell. Nice looking anyways.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:59:12 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
He says that since heat rises I think I will be OK. Maybe not. The first six or eight inches of the exhaust turns cherry red hot and may do a number on your nice paint job. -- snip---.
I don't think the cherry bomb will do a number on the paint since it is above everything in open air. If any paint gets burned, it will be from the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold runs the length of the big green motor body exhaust shroud and is only an inch or two below it. That is my concern and I may add some special insulation for protection. When I measure the temperature of the exhaust manifold using a lab-grade infrarred thermometer, it was 390 degrees celsius with translates to 734 F. That was without a load.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-09-2014, 10:30:23 AM
Subscriber

I think the primary mode of heating from exhaust components is radiant, not convective.

So, above or below doesn't matter - only proximity.

You might do something like they do with wood stoves - just a thin sheet of metal mounted on some stand offs between the heat source and the item you wish to protect.

I have no doubt that you would find a way to make it look great.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:35:23 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Cool View Post
--- snip -- You might do something like they do with wood stoves - just a thin sheet of metal mounted on some stand offs between the heat source and the item you wish to protect.

I have no doubt that you would find a way to make it look great.

Good luck!
Thanks... I have already gave it a thought as an option.... I know exactly where I would mount the standoffs w/o drill holes into the set to make it look good.

JohnnyC
New Jersey