Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 3496 replies and has been viewed 241502 times

Old 10-09-2014, 12:35:42 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB View Post
While I liked the styling we reffered to them as GTslOw.
What do you expect from a coke head, (John Delorian) But it sure did make him famous.

Then there is the Delorian itself.

Think the spelling is wrong, anyhow back to the future was more his style
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2014, 05:19:36 PM
Subscriber

Talking Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

"I have installed a pair on my Buick that I am restoring "

Restoring? With glass packs? HMmmm... I didn't realize Buicks were originally equipped w/glass packed mufflers.....

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtrap View Post
What do you expect from a coke head, (John Delorian) But it sure did make him famous.

Then there is the Delorian itself.

Think the spelling is wrong, anyhow back to the future was more his style
The DeLorians had the letters DMC on them for Delorian Motor Company

In John's case, we always assumed it stood for Do More Cocaine
The Following User Says Thank You to lokay5 For This Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 07:08:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,064 Posts

Today I fabricated the cherry bomb muffler support bracket that was not seen in my last few posts yesterday. Additionally, I took the advice about moving the bomb a bit further away from the control box, so I raise the bomb up a little higher using a longer pipe extension between the exhaust flange and the elbow in the exhaust. Effectively, it raised the bomb 1 inch higher (yeah, I know that ain't much at all).

I attached several pictures of the cherry bomb and the support bracket that I fabricated. The support bracket needs to be cleaned up and painted. I slapped it together in 15 minutes and I got it mounted in the pictures to show what it looks like and how it will support the cherry bomb. After I clean it up and give it a nice paint job, it should look okay. The bracket is extremely strong and I think it will do the job it was designed for.

In the last picture I show the new cherry bomb next to the OEM muffler to give everyone an idea of the size difference.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	208149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	208150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	208151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust_old_new.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	208152  

Old 10-09-2014, 07:15:33 PM
Subscriber

Aside from my last post a few minutes ago detailing the cherry bomb support bracket that I fabricated today, I also started to bend pipe for the fabrication on my 15.0JC skid roll cage. I attached 1 picture below showing my first bend. I made a few more since the picture below, but I will post them when I really get something together.

When I am done, the 15.0JC will be ready to go on a Baja or offroading and be protected. Maybe I will throw on a Cadillac emblem, chrome the wheels and bolt on a few curb feelers too.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rollbar.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	208153  
Old 10-09-2014, 08:50:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,208 Posts

Ever considered starting a thread of your own, like maybe "Restoration of My 15.0 JC"? Might make it easier for folks to find it in the future.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:01:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,331 Times in 3,882 Posts

Still pretty close for radient heating of VR box. I'ld put in a heat sheild like they have above car converters. I'ld expect the cherry bomb to get alot hotter than on a car. Here it's much closer to the engine and the gases will not have the benefit of a long pipe to cool down in.

I think the failure rate of electronic conponents doubles with EVERY ~20-25 deg C temp rise (general purpose transistor). IF transistor is just ~55 deg C cooler that is an 5X improvment in reliability........ MIL-HDBK-217F (pfd page 55 of 150) http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/ref...7F-Notice2.pdf

Last edited by len k; 10-09-2014 at 09:13:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10:21 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
Ever considered starting a thread of your own, like maybe "Restoration of My 15.0 JC"? Might make it easier for folks to find it in the future.
I thought about it, but I am really logging my daily activity which this thread is all about for everyone. I guess I am logging too much activity on a daily basis? Maybe time for a vacation........

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-09-2014, 09:15:09 PM
Subscriber

It just seemed to me that your long-term serious restoration project deserved its own thread.

But I'm probably wrong...

Maybe we don't need separate threads for each project - we can just all post in this one - no need to click through the entire list...
Old 10-09-2014, 09:27:54 PM
Subscriber

Talking Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
Still pretty close for radient heating of VR box. I'ld put in a heat sheild like they have above car converters. I'ld expect the cherry bomb to get alot hotter than on a car. Here it's much closer to the engine and the gases will not have the benefit of a long pipe to cool down in.

I think the failure rate of electronic conponents doubles with EVERY ~25 deg C temp rise. IF electronics are just ~50 deg C cooler that is an 4X improvment in reliability........ MIL-HDBK-217F http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/ref...7F-Notice2.pdf
Len, I will measure the heat at the control box this weekend when I run it with a small to moderate load. One reason why I did not finish the support bracket today is IF a heat shield is the way to go, It will be mounted to this bracket, so additional welding may be needed.

I think the cherry bomb will be cooler than a regular muffler because a cherry bomb is a low restriction straight through muffler. The hot gasses will flow right through it much easier. Anyway, I am looking forward to do more testing and making any adjustments needed.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
It just seemed to me that your long-term serious restoration project deserved its own thread.

But I'm probably wrong...

Maybe we don't need separate threads for each project - we can just all post in this one - no need to click through the entire list...
I hope that anyone especially newbies reading the daily activities of all that contributed on a frequent basis to this thread "What have you done to your Onan generator today?" will be inspired by just seeing what we do on a daily basis and how we all progress in such short time as well as how we all help each other by collaborating.

Anyway, I am about 90% done with my restoration. Within short time my 15.0JC will find a deep dark corner in my garage where it will "sleep", posting here will become far and few for me, and I will move onto new and different project. **But until then, I am having a lot of fun with my Onan:

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,352 Posts

Johnny, looks nice.
Ditch the galvanized nipple, tho.
Don't hold paint and when it gets cherry red under load, the galv will give off very unhealthy fumes as it slowly vaporizes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 09:49:04 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
...Within short time my 15.0JC will find a deep dark corner in my garage where it will "sleep", posting here will become far and few for me...
Until your JC breaks, at which time you'll be back. And if this was all in one thread, you could just revive that thread with your newfound issue, and it'd be easy for all of us to see what transpired...

Just sayin' (to quote one of our resident smart guys...)

At any rate, I think we're all happy you popped in to post about your set!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:49:23 PM
Registered-III

IF it were a pipe the flow restriction would not have any effect on temp rise of the metal skin. The glass packing might have some little insulating valve though. Still not hard to add a radient heat sheild.

Testing should be done at full load. At full load my 7NHM burns 3.25 times what it does no load. RPM is same 1800 so that means all that extra BTUs of fuel energy is going into heat, likely a higher temp exhaust. At best (full load) only ~ 18.5% of fuel energy going into a 15JC comes out as power the rest comes out as heat.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:56:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
IF it were a pipe the flow restriction would not have any effect on temp rise of the metal skin. The glass packing might have some little insulating valve though. Still not hard to add a radient heat sheild.
Len, I think you are right about the fiber glass packing around the cherry bomb's perimeter offering some insulating valve. I am really itching to test it using my infrared thermometer. It is 10 PM on the east coast. I wonder if I'd piss off the neighbors if I fire up the 15.0JC for 30 minutes with the glass pack cherry bomb while testing?

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-09-2014, 10:12:03 PM
Registered-III

The pressure pulses will force some hot exhaust into the fiberglass, and a little may reach the metal skin to warm it.

Depends on how you feel about your neighbors, my GF wants me to buy a 10ft dinosour to stare at a bum neighbor that is dumping all his leaves and stuff on my property.

Last edited by len k; 10-09-2014 at 10:40:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:20:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,352 Posts

I would be interested in noise level with that muffler.
If close to OEM in noise, it is a nice looking replacement.
Looks a lot better than automotive or tractor mufflers people have been using.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:06:49 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
I would be interested in noise level with that muffler.
If close to OEM in noise, it is a nice looking replacement.
Looks a lot better than automotive or tractor mufflers people have been using.
Power, I wish there was a way I could measure the noise level. Is there an App that is available for our smartphones? I will check it out in the morning. If so, I can take a reading and publish it and maybe someone else with a similar setup can do the same.

I think my OEM muffler is all rotted out on the inside. When I shake it, it sounds like a baby rattle, but nothing falls out. Before I permanently clamped the cherry bomb to my JC, I hooked up the original muffler and to be honest, there was not much of a difference. I'm sure if my OEM muffler was new, it would be a different story.

The cherry bomb's outer shell is much thicker than an ordinary muffler. I would say the outer shell of the cherry bomb is almost as thick as the monster OEM muffler.

The cost for cherry bombs are under $40. I believe the OEM monster industrial mufflers are well over $100, but I really did not check.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-10-2014, 01:41:03 AM
Registered-III

Quite mufflers is a science. Art of matching engine rpm , displacement,number of cylinders and muffler chamber size, and number of chambers. Problem is I think muffler manufacturer's don't publish any info on muffler details and general sizing guidlines, so I think it wanders into a black art guessing game for us.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:06:45 AM
Subscriber

I definitely would not apply any load to the engine before you install the demand regulator and adjust the mixture and timing.

Getting those wrong could burn a valve or melt a piston.

I like to use a vacuum gauge to get both adjusted well. There's a flat on the bottom of the intake manifold that is perfect to add a port.

Did you pull apart the distributor and make sure the advance mechanism was clean and healthy?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:04:14 AM
Registered

Two things I did not to, but for my Onan today...first, picked up the 1000-gallon tank I bought and had it installed, along with running the gas line to the shed for the generator.

Then, I built a panel with meters. Someone on here had done something similar with LCD meters from ebay. I forget who it was, but it was a great idea! I bought three meters--one is a frequency meter, while the other two show both voltage and current. Here is a link for the ebay auction for the voltage/current meters.

The generator itself hasn't been run yet--still finishing up basic maintenance & tune-up work before trying to start it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	208174   Click image for larger version

Name:	meters.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	208175  
Old 10-10-2014, 11:15:52 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Cool View Post
I definitely would not apply any load to the engine before you install the demand regulator and adjust the mixture and timing.

Getting those wrong could burn a valve or melt a piston.

I like to use a vacuum gauge to get both adjusted well. There's a flat on the bottom of the intake manifold that is perfect to add a port.

Did you pull apart the distributor and make sure the advance mechanism was clean and healthy?
Right on and because I don't have the demand regulator hooked up I did not run a load of more than 9 amps. If time permits I can rig up the demand regulator temporarily. Using the bbq grill regulator I am manually regulating the flow demand by adjusting the tank's valve to make the set run smooth for the load I am running.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylphoto View Post
Two things I did not to, but for my Onan today...first, picked up the 1000-gallon tank I bought and had it installed, along with running the gas line to the shed for the generator.

Then, I built a panel with meters. Someone on here had done something similar with LCD meters from ebay. I forget who it was, but it was a great idea! I bought three meters--one is a frequency meter, while the other two show both voltage and current. Here is a link for the ebay auction for the voltage/current meters.

The generator itself hasn't been run yet--still finishing up basic maintenance & tune-up work before trying to start it.
How much does it cost to fill a 1000 gallon propane tank? One of the things I want to build is a complete panel of meters to monitor and ensure all is running. I am very interested in the design and recommended meters others here used.

JohnnyC
New Jersey