Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Need Some General Information on Carter Model N Carb.

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 377 times

Old 04-23-2018, 04:14:56 PM
Registered-II

Default Need Some General Information on Carter Model N Carb.

I just bought about a dozen misc carbs. One of them is a Carter model N with a brass fuel bowl. I just want a general history about model N carbs. It has no other ID marks other that Carter N on it and has a brass bowl on the bottom. What were they used on and can the brass bowl give me a appox time frame when it was made ? The persons I got them from had a lot of Wisconsin engines sitting around the farm. Thank's in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2018, 09:07:47 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Need Some General Information on Carter Model N Carb.

I don't know much about the history of these carburetors but I can say at least two things about them. One, I have never seen a model N with a brass bowl. Is it the squared off bottom, or the hemispherical shape? That would help date it as the rounded bottoms disappeared some time in the 50's.

The other thing, MANY engine makers used these carburetors. Here's are three big hitters: Clinton, Kohler, Reo, I don't think Lauson/Tecumseh ever used them nor did Briggs or Wisconsin. I don't recall seeing them on Continental/DECO engines either. Lots of smaller makers used them as well. I recall having one on a most odd two cycle engine, two cycle vertical shaft but with auxiliary shafts coming out both sides to power the rotary mower wheels. I only ever had the engine and that was back in the 60's. It was labeled Bolens but I have no idea who made it. Hmmm.. maybe one day I will start a topic to find out if anyone knows anything about those. But that's not the subject here...

Being Carters, these were dependable and well performing carburetors that were not overly complicated. I guess that is why they were around for so many years.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:45:18 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Need Some General Information on Carter Model N Carb.

I did get several Clinton engines from the farm sale people. One cast iron horizonal shaft engine and one aluminum vertical shaft engine. The carb bowl had the green death growing on it and it does not respond to a magnet. I read a little somewhere else that some did have brass bowls, but no other information. There was a third Clinton engine, but it had a con rod hanging out of the side of the block. I would have gotten it also, but I had no more room in my trunk. My thoughts on the brass bowl is it is a early carb and Carter changed to steel to cut costs.Thank you for your reply.