Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 5500 HJAB Series Oil Issues

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 519 times

Old 02-11-2018, 11:52:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,947 Times in 6,558 Posts
Default Re: Onan 5500 HJAB Series Oil Issues

That oil leak has always been a problem. With units like that. Generac had a problem with theirs. I was surprised to see Onan do the same thing. Knowing the problems Generac had.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:31:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
Do you have a heavy gauge ground from both terminals of the battery to the generator's terminals? Did the ground strap between the main base and the engine base get put back in place?

Open up the generator breaker and see if it still overamps. If not, the problem is on the 'coach' side, if it still does, it's in the generator side.
I'm using the same battery cables as it was before it broke....re. the breakers...I have them both turned off, are you saying disconnect the wiring from them altogether?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:15:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,211 Times in 793 Posts

I know you have the same wiring as you had before, hence the quesions I posed.

Is the ground strap supplied by onan, that bonds the mounitng frame to the engine frame, in place, and tight? It had to be removed to replace the belt....

Is there a actual, thick, battery cable, from the ground terminal of the battery, running straight to the generator base itself?

You added rollers to service the set. If whoever built your rig tried to outsmart (or out dumb) onan and did not use a ground cable, You're now either trying to ground the set through the roller slides (bad) or through the AC ground wire (real bad), or both.

And it sometimes is obvious, but not always, did your battery go dead in the meantime? It happens......a lot.......

Your starting problems sound like not enough starting current. since computers hate the voltage being jacked around, I suggest we get that solved before we worry about why it's shutting down.