Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 5500 Generator Error Code 58

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 11779 times

Old 11-27-2015, 04:20:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,438 Posts
Default Re: Onan 5500 generator error code 58

I would not see overheating a cat by too lean as the engine would be hunting if it was too lean. The cat can get too hot by excess fuel as you said you might have flooded it. Carburetors and catalytic converters don't "Play Well" together.
If the unit sat for a time, the carb dried out and maybe the float stuck down. so when you primed it, it flooded and excess gasoline went into the cat. Some of the experts might be able to tell you how to "Clear" the codes. I would try to clear the codes by unhooking the battery to the set so it is COMPLETELY de-powered. Leave it for an hour or so and reconnect the battery. See if it clears the codes or better yet, google the web to see if you can find the "UN-Dealer" way to clear the codes. Let us know what the fix is.

Last edited by Motorhead; 11-27-2015 at 09:40:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2015, 04:41:13 PM
Registered

Yes, meant rich, not lean.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:29:09 PM
Registered

I thought I would post an update regarding where I'm at with this problem, and what I've done so far. My apologies for the lengthy post.

Today I confirmed that when the engine is running, the choke does open fully after a few minutes. A few minutes later the engine shut down with the code 58.

I then removed the P1 connector and measured the resistance between the two lines leading to the EGT sensor. I saw reasonable resistance values and they were changing in the right direction as the exhaust system cooled.

I then cut those two wires and soldered in a 4.7k resistor between the pair to "fool" the computer into thinking the temperature was stable at around 350C or so. I also connected my ohm meter leads to the lines running to the EGT sensor so that I could monitor that as the engine ran. I started the engine and it ran ok. I watched the resistance change and shut the engine down once it got to 275 ohms, which according to the table in the manual, would be a temperature of about 650C. This is the temperature at which the computer would throw the code 58.

I got on the ground and looked up at the muffler as soon as I shut it down and it was glowing red hot in one section.

I also noticed that, while the engine sounds like it's running fine when I'm right in front of it, if I listen to the exhaust it almost sounds like it's misfiring a bit. I have a recording of the exhaust sound.

So my conclusion so far is that a) the sensor is probably fine and I do really have an EGT problem, and b) it might be because of one of the cylinders not firing properly.

Not sure what I should try next. Any suggestions?
Old 12-05-2015, 03:41:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,319 Times in 852 Posts

Is the engine timing way off????
Old 12-05-2015, 04:23:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,956 Times in 4,337 Posts

I had a 5hp briggs and starton engine with a red hot muffler and low power as it got hot. Aluminum key in flywheel sheared because flywheel bolt was only 1/2 tight .Timing was very late at ~ 25 degs AFTER TDC. I believe yours has magnetoe spark coil, just like my 5hp.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:37:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts View Post
Is the engine timing way off????
The service manual specification for ignition timing says "20 deg BTDC, non-adjustable magneto" so it doesn't sound like that's something I can do anything with.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:44:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,550 Times in 911 Posts

Have you checked the compression, a leaking exhaust valve can cause the exhaust system to overheat. Basicly like lighting a blowtorch into the exhaust system. Cheers Dan
Old 12-05-2015, 07:55:23 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
The service manual specification for ignition timing says "20 deg BTDC, non-adjustable magneto" so it doesn't sound like that's something I can do anything with.
If key between flywheel and crankshaft is sheared or missing, then flywheel that has magnetoe magnet can rotate relative to crankshaft and change the timing. If you can get a timing light in there you can check timing. If it doesn't have timing marks you can make your own timing mark at TDC on flywheel. That's how I discovered flywheel moved on my 5hp B&S, it also had a non-adjustable magneto design .
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 08:27:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,438 Posts

I second what len k is questioning. There has to be timing marks on it and it would be worth checking if nothing else to say that is or not the problem. With no load, the muffler shouldn't be red hot. Loaded??? Maybe. Running that hot, I would strongly suggest checking the valve clearance and do a compression check before and after the valve adjust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 08:39:17 PM
Registered-III

Think I'ld check compression first as Motorhead recommends, it's easier , and one stuck valve is more likely than timing. Especially if gen been sitting for few years. Other cylinder can keep it running.

For what it's worth, I did notice on my 5 hp B&S that the key did fall out a couple times as I reinstalled flywheel on the crank shaft. So if previous owner had it apart.....

With ~ 25 deg after TDC my muffler was noticeable glowing red at dusk with moderate load, basically the exhaust valve was opening while fuel mix was still burning. Got a 1 ft long blue flame out the short muffler. Muffler = 3 inch dia x ~ 8inch long.

If you use the timing light I'ld use one then the other spark wire as a trigger. Just to make sure both are firing and not intermittent. Most Onans will run fine and make almost full power on one cylinder. If one cylinder is not firing , that's a lot of fuel being burned in catalytic converter (if it has one), red hot.

Last edited by len k; 12-05-2015 at 09:03:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post: