Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 5500 Generator Error Code 58

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 9758 times

Old 12-05-2015, 11:41:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,211 Times in 793 Posts
Default Re: Onan 5500 generator error code 58

a BIG +1 on BOTH checking the vales and compression. If the valves are very far off I would pull the head. These engines are known for valve problems
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 03:51:06 PM
Registered

I fear I am at the end of my abilities to debug this issue. I don't have the tools or equipment needed to check compression or to remove the generator from the trailer and perform checks on timing. I was really hoping it was going to be something simple, but Murphy said no. The thing only has 112.5 hours on it so I wouldn't expect there to be serious engine problems. I'm wondering if it's the carb that was replaced in the spring (side note: seems crazy that a carburetor is a non-serviceable part on a machine like this). I will likely let it sit over the winter and have Cummins look at it in the spring. Thanks to all those that offered suggestions and helped me out. I will post once I know for sure what the problem is/was.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:42:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,575 Times in 4,048 Posts

Almost all carb's can be taken apart and cleaned.

EPA like tell people they can't be taken apart, so you won't change the settings from where they think they should be. You know, the non-technical bureaucrats who never had an engine apart in their life, and have no idea how to work on one. I talked to a state legislature guy once, it was shocking how clueless he was about fixing anything. Even common things like glueing a chipped piece of wood back on.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:25:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
I fear I am at the end of my abilities to debug this issue. I don't have the tools or equipment needed to check compression or to remove the generator from the trailer and perform checks on timing. I was really hoping it was going to be something simple, but Murphy said no. The thing only has 112.5 hours on it so I wouldn't expect there to be serious engine problems. I'm wondering if it's the carb that was replaced in the spring (side note: seems crazy that a carburetor is a non-serviceable part on a machine like this). I will likely let it sit over the winter and have Cummins look at it in the spring. Thanks to all those that offered suggestions and helped me out. I will post once I know for sure what the problem is/was.
Takes a BIG Man to say he is at the end of his personal knowledge and mechanical ability on an item. It ALSO is a VERY SMART man that knows his limitations and doesn't go HOG wild and end up screwing the whole thing up because he doesn't know when he is in too deep. Walk away from it for a while... and maybe come back to it later. You might solve the issue. I do MANY times when I am not finding out what is wrong with what I am working on.... and I have been doing mechanical for over 45 years. Go to Sears and buy yourself a compression gauge, they are not that expensive.

The BEST part about this is that You Tried!

Last edited by Motorhead; 12-07-2015 at 12:26:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 12:01:46 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,575 Times in 4,048 Posts

Walking away , and thinking about a solution helps

compresion gauge . timing light .....Taylor Rental maybe

Last edited by len k; 12-07-2015 at 12:15:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:48:30 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,351 Posts

Actually many auto supply stores. Autozone for one will let you borrow an item for free. You pay a deposit and get it back when you return it. Just ideas. The Cummins dealer will hose you. Its nice to have the advantage of knowing whats wrong before you have it repaired.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:17:59 PM
Registered

Well, I thought I'd just post a follow up in case someone else finds themselves in the same predicament as me.

Following my failed attempts to debug the issue last fall, I finally got around to taking the rig in to Cummins the other day. Their first thought was that it needed a new carb. I told them that it had just been replaced last summer but they still felt that was the best place to start. Luckily it was still under warranty from last summer so they put a new one on at no charge to me.

BUT...that didn't fix the problem. Code 58 still coming up. So they decided to do a valve adjustment on it and presto - problem gone. Purring like a kitten now and starts up instantly.

So it seems that you guys that were pointing me towards compression issues were on the right track. Unfortunately I didn't have the means to diagnose/fix it myself, but next time I might.

Thanks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sleepingdog For This Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 09:58:49 PM
Registered

I have a 5500 LP version in my fifth wheel and am having the same problem. It will run for a little while depending on how hot it is outside then starts back firing and quits. I had my dealer look at it over the winter while doing other warranty work but it worked fine for them (because it was cold). I talked to my local cummins dealer yesterday, and he said he would just about bet his next paycheck that it is a coil pack. He said they had a bad batch of coil packs that would show perfect resistance when checking them, but would break down when getting warm. Then one cylinder would quit firing properly, loading up the exhaust, which warmed it up to hot and would shut it off. I didn't know how to pull the 2 digit codes all this time until yesterday and could only get code 15 (under frequency, because of slowing down on 1 cylinder). But he is still convinced it is a coil pack. They will pull it out Monday and bench test it so we will see. I will ask them about the valve adjustment when I drop it off. I will report back results. I joined just to respond to this thread. I am a member on several truck and camping forums, but this was the most information I could find about the problem I am having. Thanks for all the information, guys.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:47:49 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,211 Times in 793 Posts

ADjusting the valves is never a bad idea, you're supposed to do it on some kind of schedule anyways.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:10:31 PM
Registered

I had a bad coil on the right side. The Cummins dealer said that is almost always the bad one from the factory. They had a bad batch of them for a while. Anyway, it fixed mine just fine. I can run both AC's now in 90+ degree heat without a hiccup.