Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

this thread has 701 replies and has been viewed 24252 times

Old 12-06-2017, 09:44:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,399 Posts
Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) has come to life!

You can buy a new pump diaphragm on ebay...same as the kohlers.. about 20 shipped the last time I bought some.. try cleaning the little valves sometimes they get gummy and some wd40 will get them to seal
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YellowLister For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 10:19:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlister View Post
You can buy a new pump diaphragm on ebay...same as the kohlers.. about 20 shipped the last time I bought some.. try cleaning the little valves sometimes they get gummy and some wd40 will get them to seal
I have bought a few from the guy on ebay and they work well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER-ONAN...19.m1438.l2649

Important is to have the mating surfaces flat for the diaphragm to seal well AND don't over tighten the screws.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:54:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,559 Times in 1,468 Posts

Thanks for the information on the replacement fuel pump diaphragms. I will be buying a replacement when I start tearing the 2LK apart.

For now, I need to give it a good bath. It is not nearly as oily as some of the other gensets I brought home in the past, but I like to start clean.

One thing I noticed is that this genset was completely repainted in the past using a non-matching paint color and it most likely was cheap rattle can spray paint. The paint immediately blistered when I sprayed carb cleaner near the carburetor.
In order to find the OEM paint color on this genset, I needed to find an area that was not painted over. Usually that would be a backside of a tin since it would not be exposed to a fast cheap rattle can spray paint job. This time I decided to sample the paint behind the metal data tag and it showed the OEM color very well as seen in the first 2 pictures. The OEM color is noted by the red arrow in each picture. The color may look different between the 2 pictures, but that is because of the lousy lighting in my garage at the time I snapped the pictures. I will take the tin to the automotive paint shop and they will reproduce the color to match perfectly by scanning the original paint. It is obviously a different shade than all my newer Onans and I want this 2LK to be as original as possible. This means I need to strip ALL the paint down to bare metal, prime using epoxy automotive primer and top coat using automotive paint. Rattle can spray paint is strictly forbidden.

In the third picture I am preparing to make a cart for the 2LK. The base is 1/4 steel plate and I bought caster wheels today. I will weld the wheels onto the plate and bend pipe to make a push bar.

The 2LK project will be starting slowly as I am extremely busy at work and at home because of the upcoming holiday, as well as a diesel Kohler that I am working on. I will post updates, questions and plenty of picture as thing get done. That's it for now.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	297837   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	297838   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	297839  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 11:43:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,440 Posts

Johnny, Are you going to try to have the green metallic matched for the repaint? If so, I would be interested in getting some of the color and your paint guy might give a price break on a larger batch. My factory enclosed 2.5LK is that metallic green.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:01:19 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Johnny, Are you going to try to have the green metallic matched for the repaint? If so, I would be interested in getting some of the color and your paint guy might give a price break on a larger batch. My factory enclosed 2.5LK is that metallic green.
Yes, the paint wholesaler should be able to match the metallic green. It will be sometime in January before I get the paint, but once I get it I'll have the paint code for you and the brand of paint which will be a DuPont line of paint which many auto paint wholesalers will have available. Automotive commercial paint is always expensive and they will not give discounts on paint. Well, I lied a little - I will get a small discount since the dealership that I work for does business with the paint wholesaler that I used for years, but it will be like 10% to 15% off of retail.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 12-09-2017, 02:27:59 PM
Subscriber

On that shiny emerald green, I call it Studebaker Green , the weird yellow-green primer might contribute heavily (I can't remember what it is, somewhat hazardous if I recall).. I have three, the last one I bought cheap for parts but I managed to get running. I was always confused on the 2kW rating for gasoline sets because it looks like the gen-end is the same for a 2.5kW, although there are some models with a low-compression head (lower than the standard 5.5:1). A tri-fuel or NatGas unit might be derated for the fuel.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:17:28 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnucklehead View Post
On that shiny emerald green, I call it Studebaker Green , the weird yellow-green primer might contribute heavily (I can't remember what it is, somewhat hazardous if I recall).. I have three, the last one I bought cheap for parts but I managed to get running. I was always confused on the 2kW rating for gasoline sets because it looks like the gen-end is the same for a 2.5kW, although there are some models with a low-compression head (lower than the standard 5.5:1). A tri-fuel or NatGas unit might be derated for the fuel.
Interesting..... This experimental 2LK has a "special cam" as stated in the build sheet. I can't find any manuals on the twinslan website, but the 2LK looks just like a 2.5LK as you stated. I wonder if the motors between the 2.5 and the 2LK gensets are the same? My 2LK runs on gasoline and I doubt it has high compression pistons.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 12-09-2017, 03:30:17 PM
Subscriber

Well, it is snowing outside and I have limited spare time today, but I wanted to maximize my garage time to the fullest. I wanted to give the 2LK a bath, but that ain't happening with the snow, so I decided to start building a cart. The cart is a bit of an overkill and will support the weight of 2 JCs.

I attached 3 pictures below with explanations of each as follows:

The first picture shows 2 carts. The cart on the left is for the 2LK and the cart on the right is a full size pallet with some cheap-azz wheels bolted on for a full enclosure Kohler genset which is a different story for the Kohler forum. The carts are complete but I will fabricate a pushbar for the 2LK cart sometime in the future. For now, the wheels are welded onto the steel plate.

The second picture shows the components prior to welding the wheel are 5".

The third picture show one of the wheels welding in place. The steel plate is 3/8 inch as well as the small square plate welded under the caster wheel. The base of the cart is strong. I can jump up and down on it and it does not seem to flex.

Pushbar will be fabricated in the near future.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	92
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	297976   Click image for larger version

Views:	86
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	297978   Click image for larger version

Views:	93
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	297979  
Old 12-09-2017, 08:13:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,931 Times in 2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Interesting..... This experimental 2LK has a "special cam" as stated in the build sheet. I can't find any manuals on the twinslan website, but the 2LK looks just like a 2.5LK as you stated. I wonder if the motors between the 2.5 and the 2LK gensets are the same? My 2LK runs on gasoline and I doubt it has high compression pistons.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
There were no high compression pistons for the LK, but the gas vapor models used a high compression head, the same one used on the left side of the CCK. The part numbers are 110-0883, 110-1895, 170-3071. I can tell you it makes a big difference. My LK's would barely make 2,500 watts with our crap ethanol gasoline, but put a high compression head on them and they had power to spare.

I don't see any part number difference between the 2LK and the 2.5LK. But on the other hand, one of my LK's is a "utility truck" model designed to provide 30 amp battery charging current directly from the exciter. It has a 15 volt exciter vs the standard 17 volt LK exciter. The parts book does not show any other numbers for this model, but there are definitely differences, the armature at least and maybe the field coils. The "utility truck" option is Z212.

Measure the compression on your LK. The standard head gives you 100 to 110 PSI. The high compression head gives you about 135PSI.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 01:58:40 PM
Subscriber

Today I had a few minutes to spare and run a load test on the 2LK. I was NOT able to run loads above 1850 watts. The motor was bogging down. I was able to comfortably run loads up to 1700 watts for long periods of time without any problems on gasoline. It may be possible to achieve 2000 watts after totally cleaning the carburetor, new spark plug and gapped properly, adjusting the valves and points gaps (dual points) and what ever else that I missed to post here. The only thing I've done to the 2LK was an oil change and that's it, so there is possible room to improve. I will run a compression check either latter today or tomorrow. For now I posted some pictures below with explanations as follows:

First picture shows the condition of the spark plug. There are no oil deposits, only black soot which means the carburetor is running a little rich which is the lesser of the 2 evils.

Second picture shows the 2LK (right side of the picture) along with 1 heater and 2 work lights. The green box on the yellow thingie is my JohnnyC kilowatt box.

Third picture shows all that the 2LK can put out comfortably continuously without straining the motor. Anything more (above 1800 watts) the motor is stressing out. So, going forward I will use 1700 watts as my benchmark and hopefully we will do better as this 2LK is fixed up.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	85
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	298074   Click image for larger version

Views:	97
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	298075   Click image for larger version

Views:	86
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	298076  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-10-2017 at 03:01:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post: