Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

this thread has 357 replies and has been viewed 10771 times

Old 12-10-2017, 05:52:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,225 Posts
Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) has come to life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
--- snip ---

Measure the compression on your LK. The standard head gives you 100 to 110 PSI. The high compression head gives you about 135PSI.
I just did a compression check on a cold motor and came up with 105 p.s.i. See picture below.. That falls exactly mid range for the standard head.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	298094  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2017, 06:14:12 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) has come to life!

johnnyc, for what it's worth, my 2.5LK has 90 psi of compression dry and cold outside
and 115 psi of compression "wet" with several good "squirts" of wd-40 (what i had handy).
it has at least 900 hours on it, i haven't bothered yet to check what cylinder head it has.
The Following User Says Thank You to turtmaster For This Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

Winter is here in New Jersey. We had 2" of snow Saturday night and more expected later this week. Temps will dip well below freezing on Wednesday and Thursday with a wind chill factor as low as 9 degrees. What does this all mean as for this 2LK project? It means I got to move my azz and get things moving because it will be too cold to work outside.

After work today in near total darkness I gunked and washed down the 2LK. It was not too oily to start with, but now it is cleaner and easier to work with. The first picture below shows 3 sides of the 2LK after a quick gunking. The oil pan base was the dirtiest, but cleaned up well. I was totally amazed that this 2LK started and ran without a single hiccup after a brutal power washing. After letting the 2LK run for about 10 minutes to dry it off, I drained the oil. This 2LK runs strong and extremely reliable. For most people, they would be done and have it ready for their next power outage. For me, I am now ready to take it apart.

After gunking and power washing, I was delighted to see some of the cheap rattle can spray paint coating removed from the oil base and the original green color peek through as seen in the second picture.

Questions:

Question #1 - Look at where the red arrows point to in the third picture below. Is that bent tubing or cradle an option for this 2LK? Under the cheap green paint, the original Onan green paint can bee seen although not in this picture. I believe it is Onan, but not sure if the 2LK had this available as an option. If the 2LKs came with the cradle, I will keep it.

Question #2 - Look at the forth picture. You will see a gas tank mounted on top of the 2LK. I seriously doubt this is original for the 2LK, but I can't verify since I can't find the appropriate manuals on the manual website. The tank in the picture fits perfectly on top of the 2LK, but it is not original I may remove it. Anyone know for sure?

So, what's my next step? Well, I already verified it runs extremely well other than a bad mechanical fuel pump and most people would not go any further, but I will now rip it completely apart, do any and all maintenance required, and paint it. As usual, I will post updates and pictures as I progress. I will also be asking questions too.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	106
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	298131   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	298132   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	298133   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	298134  

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:19:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,285 Posts

Show us the dual point set-up.
"Ma" Bell.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,351 Posts

C14 Is the option for a Day Tank. Your build sheet makes no mention of it but that doesn't mean it wasn't added later. Maybe look in the parts manual and see if it shows a similar tank.

Page 30 of 930-0221 Parts manual makes mention of the tank. No picture. It says it is a 1 quart tank but from the picture I would guess that is more like 1 gallon?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:22:59 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Show us the dual point set-up.
Here it is in the picture below. Duel points, a.k.a. flicker points (????) and 2 condensers.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	116
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	298139  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 10:07:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB View Post
C14 Is the option for a Day Tank. Your build sheet makes no mention of it but that doesn't mean it wasn't added later. Maybe look in the parts manual and see if it shows a similar tank.

Page 30 of 930-0221 Parts manual makes mention of the tank. No picture. It says it is a 1 quart tank but from the picture I would guess that is more like 1 gallon?
The tank is equivalent to 1/2 gallon plastic milk bottle or very close to it, but not close to 1 gallon. The tank mounting bracket fits perfectly on top of the 2LK. Maybe there was a larger tank option not listed in the manual? Or for a different spec?

As for the cradle, I see it in the 930-0221 parts manual. It is an optional carrying frame kit along with ground strap. Since it is confirmed that the carrying frame kit is OEM original for my 2LK, it stays.

I would like to see a picture(s) of any LK (2LK or 2.5LK) with the optional day tank and would like to know if larger tanks were available, but may not have been listed in the parts manual.

As you can see, I always like to know the history of anything I restore.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	298145   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	298148  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:14:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,328 Posts

the frame looks original.. although i have never seen one, but looks Ike a older briggs or tecumseh gen carriage as well... and the gas tank looks to be a briggs tank especially the petcock.. but who knows..

the old saying... if it aint broke dont fix it.. if it works for you use it.. if not, make your own to suit your needs.

the outlet box should have a autotype light bulb and glass cover on it as well.. my 1972 pull start only onan cck has one
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 07:02:27 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Here it is in the picture below. Duel points, a.k.a. flicker points (????) and 2 condensers.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Johnnyc , are both points connected to the ignition? As far as I know “flicker points” are connected into the Ac output on the generator and have no connection to the ignition. That is how my 1.0 aj is set up. 1 set of points under the flywheel for ignition and 1 set of points on the side of the block that are the flicker points. I don’t know how lk’s are usually set up (ie had points in 2 separate places) but I wonder if your dual point setup was a way to simplify the points arrangement on this model? Those little 1 cylinder 1800rpm units sure are nice to listen to!
Steve
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42:15 AM
Subscriber

I think the spec A and B LKs have the fat dual-points box, with one set being flicker and one for ignition.. Spec C and D LKs still have fat box, but only one set is used for ignition..

Those two wires that leave your points box - if they both go to a switch to select which set is connected to the spark coil, then its dual ignition points.. If one wire goes to the battery-spark coil (under the blower housing) and one wire to a flicker resistor - then it's a normal spec A/B LK setup.

Think "experimental" for testing.. most Onan fuel tanks I've seen on portables were square-ish... Original or not, I would get rid of that one - too small and definitely not a good location, at least for me.. The only LK I have with a fuel tank is a portable on a dolly, no fuel pump, not electric start. Photos of a spec B standby unit, and a spec E portable, as-found. Yours is a strange hybrid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2LK-3R_31B.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	298183   Click image for larger version

Name:	2dot5LK-3M_1E.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	298184  

Last edited by gnucklehead; 12-12-2017 at 11:04:34 AM. Reason: add last paragraph and add photos
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post: