Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

this thread has 701 replies and has been viewed 24189 times

Old 02-13-2018, 11:05:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,458 Posts
Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
Why not run a ground strap between them if that's a good mounting solution why wouldn't it work?
Yes, a ground strap WILL be used between the outlet box and control box. That is a must, but I think power is asking why I decided to use the rubber isolators. I guess the short answer is it provides a great solution to offset the out box, provides a little bit of vibration protection for the meters that I plan to install, and will be plenty strong to withstand human abuse without breakage.

To recap on the original mounting bracket and the damage, click on the link below and check out the pictures. Yes, I fixed the bracket as seen in the pictures, but it will bend again if mishandled. This drove me to find a solution which I think the vibration isolators will work/

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showp...&postcount=269

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Last edited by JohnnyC; 02-13-2018 at 11:21:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,548 Posts

Yes, I was asking about the flexible mount because it is a little different than the way I think. Me- spacers would be 4 pieces of tubing with washers & painted, or if handy, 4 stud extenders.

I was joking about ground to remind you that box is now isolated, and I think it should have a redundant ground. (Especially after your comments on how you expected to meet your demise) Outlets will be grounded via ground wire, and box grounded via outlet yokes, but if ground wire cracks from vibration, and something plugged in gets a fault, nice to have a second ground made of braid and attached to different bolts.

The other advantage of rubber mounts is if someone tries to move generator by outlet box, when they feel it give, most people will let go and find another place to grab.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:32:41 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Yes, I was asking about the flexible mount because it is a little different than the way I think. Me- spacers would be 4 pieces of tubing with washers & painted, or if handy, 4 stud extenders. I was thinking about spacers like you mentioned, but the rubber vibration isolators are simple and may offer some anti-vibration for the outlet box

I was joking about ground to remind you that box is now isolated, and I think it should have a redundant ground. (Especially after your comments on how you expected to meet your demise) Your comment was 100% totally valid! And I'm glad you did mention it. I will be running a braided wire between the outlet box and the control box as well as a wire from wire along with the hot and neutral.Outlets will be grounded via ground wire, and box grounded via outlet yokes, but if ground wire cracks from vibration, and something plugged in gets a fault, nice to have a second ground made of braid and attached to different bolts.

The other advantage of rubber mounts is if someone tries to move generator by outlet box, when they feel it give, most people will let go and find another place to grab.Exactly and another reason why I decided to use the rubber isolators too.
JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 02-14-2018, 09:27:42 PM
Subscriber

Wednesday Update:
This evening I prepared the workshop for painting the remaining tins with the exception of the control box and outlet box which I hope to do tomorrow after work. I will have no time this weekend (at least for Saturday) since the Boss has plans. So, what was done for paint preparation??? Clean all surfaces and floor of dust and dirt. It is so clean that you can eat off the floor (if you are an animal). Also, I finished the body work on two tins as seen in the picture below. One of the tins had a stress crack and both had minor dents. The dents were punched out and welding sheet metal can cause the metal to warp, so a thin skim coat of filler was all that was needed.

If all goes according to plan, tomorrow after work I will lightly scuff the surfaces of the tins, clean with Prepsol to remove and oils, hang the tins and remove any dust using a tack cloth. After that is done a coating of primer then paint.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	303191  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,457 Posts

Be sure and get a good dose of thinner on those smashed fingers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 10:08:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,433 Posts

Bondo on Onan sheet metal..... What's the world coming to? You make them "Smoother" than when they were new!
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52:40 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
Be sure and get a good dose of thinner on those smashed fingers.
I did not want to say this but being that we are on the finger subject, I mistakenly got bondo in my drill hole in my nail (see picture below). It has already hardened and no way am I going to pick it off because of the pain of tugging at the damaged nail smashed last finger digit. I may try to sand it down tomorrow and if I go that far I may paint it Onan green tomorrow.

I wonder if bondo will give me an infection?

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	303201  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:25:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,951 Times in 4,333 Posts

Likely no bacteria issue , but maybe chemical. From experience bondo makes your nails white if it sits , think it's the peroxide in hardner. Think I'ld try to pick it out so peroxide won't irritate your wound. Besides likely want it open to drain.

Wifey calls skin my protective space suit. When I get cuts on finger tips I wrap them up in a masking tape cocoon. Works better than any bandaid, I can bang it against things and not hurt it.

Little piece of folded bathroom tissue over wound to absorb , then crisscross of tape over the tip, then spiral of tape. Tough as a mini-plaster cast
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,260 Posts

As an electrician, I used to do that too, but with electrical tape. Makes it so the electrons don't leak out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:41:00 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
As an electrician, I used to do that too, but with electrical tape. Makes it so the electrons don't leak out.
Me too, but with the good stuff. Temflex 1700C with 27 on top, not 33.