Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 5500 HJAB Series Oil Issues

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 525 times

Old 01-24-2018, 05:06:45 PM
Registered

Default Onan 5500 HJAB Series Oil Issues

Hi all, I've got 7 of this type of onan, the marques gold series. I use the hell out of them, they run about 6 hours a day, 6 days a week at at least 50% load while they're on. I've had the setup on each of my rigs for about 3 years and 90% of the problems I have is due to oil leaking into the bottom plate an destroying the drive coupler/belt.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone with way more experience than I have can help out with....

I currently have one of the units on my bench drenched in oil. How do I clean the bottom area of the motor and gen head? All the bottom plates/pieces I have soaking and will power wash them today, but I want to clean it off the windings and the motor.

Secondly, does anyone know of a solution to keep oil from collecting in the plan in the first place? I'm considering just drilling a few holes in the pan so it has a place to run out of. I'm pretty sure my employees are not being careful when they top it off and it overflows and then collects in the pan only to be blown around and into the drive belt and coupler; disintegrating them.

Lastly, has anyone developed a gear/chain drive for these units? Then the oil wouldn't matter as much.

My local shop hits me for $564 anytime this happens (thus me attempting to learn the repair myself) but I'd love to be able to avoid it altogether if possible.

How to clean, how to avoid??

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2018, 05:31:33 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan 5500 hjab series oil issues

I would drill drain holes canít help you on the other part
The Following User Says Thank You to KPack For This Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 06:06:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,575 Times in 4,048 Posts

Chain would need lube. Cog belt wouldn't, but hear some are noisy at higher speeds
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 06:32:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,588 Times in 3,644 Posts

As for cleaning - hose down with electrical contact cleaner. It will wash away oil without harming the insulation. EXPENSIVE. Yes drill hole or 2 in the pan. If possible, hang a can under the hole, so you don't leave dribbles on the ground. If you see spots, time to MT the can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 07:30:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,656 Times in 2,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideagiant View Post
...I'm pretty sure my employees are not being careful when they top it off and it overflows and then collects in the pan...shop hits me for $564 anytime this happens...I'd love to be able to avoid it altogether if possible...

IF I were in your situation, I would start with the employees. Explain the cause of the problem (carelessness) and that effective immediately, the $564 cost of repair is going to come from the funding that provides their wages. The one that gripes the loudest is probably the one that is pouring oil all over your sets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 09:37:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,211 Times in 793 Posts

It's been a few years but I used to work on these things all the time. Belt/coupler isn't a hard job, I can change them in about 2 hours depending on how they are installed in the vehicle.

Remove gen from vehicle, set on large heavy duty bench (or floor.....).
remove the plastic cover, if one. Remove the two torx bolts holding the subbase on and remove the offending wires and hoses between the baseplate and sub base, Make note of the springs between so you can get them in their right place, there is a spring, buffer, washer etc on each corner, roll the generator over on it's top and pull the cooling cover off. Remove the coils, remove the bolt at the center of the flywheel. A few love taps at the center of the flywheel next to where the bolt was will break the tapered hold between the fly and crank. Release tensioner and pull the flywheel. Replace the rubber coupling between the flywheel and pulley, re string the belt, set the flywheel on and get the belt positioned correctly (that is the hard part, there isn't much room to work), tighten the flywheel center bolt, space the coils from the flywheel magnets with a business card, and now it's just reverse the procedure from here....
Old 01-24-2018, 09:45:04 PM
Registered

I found this post the other day, it's what I'm using. Just trying to get it cleaned out before I put it back together...
Old 01-31-2018, 10:52:21 PM
Registered

Anyone have any tips on getting the damn tensioner back in place? I can either get the tensioner back or the belt set, but not both...seems like the belt is too tight for it, but it always seems like that with belts
Old 02-11-2018, 02:50:16 AM
Registered

Default Re: Onan 5500 HJAB Series Oil Issues

Got it all back together with the new belt, tensioner and drive coupler. Got it installed in the van today....customized the mount with some heavy duty drawer slides.

When I tried it (yeah yeah...I didn't test it before I installed it) it wouldn't start unless I put my jump starter on it. So right after starting up it dies with a code 14 (over current I think?). I figured the replacement was pretty straight forward. Any ideas on what I missed? I did pair the white wires together in the junction box, would this cause the overrun?

Won't start unless pushed with larger amp jump
Dies immediately after starting
Gives error 14
Old 02-11-2018, 08:45:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,211 Times in 793 Posts
Default Re: Onan 5500 HJAB Series Oil Issues

Do you have a heavy gauge ground from both terminals of the battery to the generator's terminals? Did the ground strap between the main base and the engine base get put back in place?

Open up the generator breaker and see if it still overamps. If not, the problem is on the 'coach' side, if it still does, it's in the generator side.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post: