Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 2.5LK-1R/12L

this thread has 105 replies and has been viewed 3665 times

Old 02-11-2018, 10:46:19 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Onan 2.5LK-1R/12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Nice! Does the tri-fuel LKs have a high compression head for running vapor? As you know, the genset is derated on vapor and a high compression head would make the genset more efficient on vapor.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
I have not looked to see if the tri-fuel has a high compression head, but I doubt if it does. I have two other LK's that are gaseous fueled with high compression heads and neither one will pull a full load on natural gas. When the frequency starts dropping, the carbs are wide open on both of them. Tried all kinds of tricks to get more power, short of trying a larger bore carb. If I ever get any free time, I will take a look at my LK's to see if they have the pushrod seals installed.

David C.
The Following User Says Thank You to David C For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 11:36:57 AM
Registered-II

In the parts book, it does show that the high compression head was an option for this set. For the RV sets it does not list it as an option.
I could not find my compression tester. I will try to borough one this week and get the readings.

I did post in the used pars thread, but thought I would post this here as well.
If anyone has the oil bath air cleaner, points cover, mounting feet or the glass fuel bowl that will fit this set and you are willing to part with, please drop me a pm and we can work out price and shipping. THANKS!!
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 15,003 Times in 7,079 Posts

The shielded plug wire and plug shield. Was a common item for Onans back then. It was added to stop radio static. Unless you are old like some of us. You never had to deal with it.

The point box oil leak was hard to stop on some units. On the CCK the rubber boot was removed. After it was found to be acting like an oil pump. Removing it stopped the leak on most units. On the ones like LK you removed the boot and sometimes. You had to replace the point rod and guide.

Handyhiker1
If you have a tractor dealer around. You could check with them. That fuel bowl assembly was used on a lot of the older tractors. Some dealers still carry them. A good parts store should be able to get you one.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:47:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,381 Times in 891 Posts

This link has a picture of the dimpled high compression head as well as two more links to better pictures of the high compression head, JohnnyC posted. You could look at the underside of you head to see if you can pick out the dimple.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...=163923&page=2
Old 02-11-2018, 01:53:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,575 Posts

Handyhiker1, are you looking for the missing glass fuel bowl/housing assembly to bring your LK back to original condition? I may have one that will be available at the cost of sacrificing an 105AK that was to be a parts genny for certain things on my LK. I am not 100% sure yet if that it will be a parts genny since I fixed the reported problem at to why it was not running. I will explain later in my LK thread, but I can post a picture of two of the fuel bowl assembly in a few minutes to show what I have to offer you for FREE

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:57:08 PM
Registered-II

Looking at my head, it does not have the dimple. Wait, that doesn't sound right. The cylinder head on the Onan doesn't have the dimple. There, that sounds better.

---------- Post added at 12:57:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Handyhiker1, are you looking for the missing glass fuel bowl/housing assembly to bring your LK back to original condition? I may have one that will be available at the cost of sacrificing an 105AK that was to be a parts genny for certain things on my LK. I am not 100% sure yet if that it will be a parts genny since I fixed the reported problem at to why it was not running. I will explain later in my LK thread, but I can post a picture of two of the fuel bowl assembly in a few minutes to show what I have to offer you for FREE

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Yes, it has been removed at some point and I would like to reinstall a factory style. THANKS!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Handyhiker1 For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 02:16:05 PM
Subscriber

OK, look at the pictures below... The first picture is the fuel bowl assembly on my AK and attached to the gas tank. The second picture is the fuel bowl assembly and fuel pipe from my LK after I cleaned it up. I am inside the house at the moment so I don't have the two side by side, but in the pictures below they appear to be the same. You will need to source in a replacement fuel pipe.

I am almost certain that the AK will be sacrificed. The last owner actually obtained the AK for using certain parts for the LK (he owned the AK, AJ and LK that I currently have and is a silent Stak member that reads, but rarely posts). The reported problem with the AK was no spark which I fixed, but other things would need attention AND I need parts from the AK for my LK... I hate to sacrifice the AK, but what can I do? I am going crazy with what I am about to do with the AK, but once my wrench touches it to remove a part for the sake of restoring another genset, there will be no turning back...... So, the AK parts will benefit you, and me, and I will offer others here too. This may be a decision that I may commit suicide for doing, but...................

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	302892   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	302893  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 02:31:16 PM
Registered-II

Yup, that's it! On the LK it goes between the pump and carburetor. Looks like just a couple of fittings and a piece of steel line and all good to go. I will send you a PM with my address. If you decide to part the one out, I would definitely be interested.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:41:30 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyhiker1 View Post
Yup, that's it! On the LK it goes between the pump and carburetor. Looks like just a couple of fittings and a piece of steel line and all good to go. I will send you a PM with my address. If you decide to part the one out, I would definitely be interested.
OK, I just took 2 shots of a strong beverage and off to the garage I go. I will now sacrifice the AK for the sake of bringing 2, if not more, Onans back to life! I will say a pray before I murder the AK .

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 02-11-2018, 02:49:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,303 Times in 2,556 Posts

Quote:
...I will say a pray before I murder the AK . ...
It not murder, it is just a DNR request and organ donation. The spirit of the mighty AK will live on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post: