Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

3 Hp Challenge Hour Glass

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 2583 times

Old 11-07-2016, 05:38:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,414 Posts
Default 3 Hp Challenge Hour Glass

Got this from Ohio today, https://youtu.be/GdokMyvtTEA first time Fastenal has screwed up for me, first one I had crated and they run a forklift blade through the crate side and yanked the top off. Luckily NO damage other than the box and the box was loose on the pallet, with the nails bent over, so they knew they done it!! Had to take a pretty good lift to, Tom Winland had it nailed down good!! 3PL and Kerry Sanchez got a call , and, not to nice of a call, today on it!! will put a video up as soon as it gets uploaded, had another one on phone but is on face book after I got it slowed down and muffler repainted. Just lucky this didn't get tore up, today I am not a big fan of Fastenal!!It is a 3 hp, not a 2 hp has the 41/4" bore and 3 hp flywheel part numbers for a 3 hp on it and other places, no tag but after 6000 serial number when they went to 3 hp..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3hp Challenge Hourglass 064.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	267518   Click image for larger version

Name:	3hp Challenge Hourglass 065.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	267519  

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 11-07-2016 at 06:12:22 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2016, 06:47:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 3 Hp Challenge Hour Glass

Got my 3 hp Challenge Hour Glass on a Jim White cart today, wish it had small wheels all around, sorry about the light in shed, https://youtu.be/ajhG38VtSwk , Got a decal to put on both sides of the hopper, and, thinking about having it striped and Challenge painted on the boards under engine, got to take about 3 " off the battery box yet and paint that up so it can be striped at the same time. And get the end of the gov weight eyelets brazed up, then springs, and, a timing tweaking , and, cam roller adjusted right so it don't pound so much, a nice little tight engine!! Happy Thanksgiving !!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:22:32 PM
Registered-III

congrats on another nice engine, rich!

sorry to hear fastenal screwed up, but it seems there is no such thing as a reliable and affordable shipping company anymore. i guess if we want it safe for sure, we just have to go get it ourselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMertz For This Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 08:44:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMertz View Post
congrats on another nice engine, rich!

sorry to hear fastenal screwed up, but it seems there is no such thing as a reliable and affordable shipping company anymore. i guess if we want it safe for sure, we just have to go get it ourselves.
Thanks yea I am very glad I had Tom Winland take the muffler off on a Challenge like this not much meat there on head that would have been a disaster. Luckily no damage
Old 11-26-2016, 05:10:08 PM
Subscriber

Got it all wired up battery box painted, the crank shield painted , but , scratched that up tried to repaint , found it was too cold for that today, it bubbled up, now to get the eyelets brazed up and put the stripes on it , this is out in the sun https://youtu.be/2PfNKUJUaGg ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hourglass Challenge 3 hyp on cart 010.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	268844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hourglass Challenge 3 hyp on cart 003.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	268845  

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 11-26-2016 at 05:34:12 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 05:44:20 PM
Subscriber

Finally warmed up and feeling better, I bought a cart off a good friend Jim White, I didn't like the big wheels on the solid axle on this small of a engine, so, with some arm twisting, he sold me 2 small wheels, and I put a wood block under the rails makes it look a lot better https://youtu.be/ySEuXIV4IpY Also got my fitting box out and got the fuel line straightened out, they had a old piece of garden hose in between 2 shorts, I found out why it took a lot of scrounging around in my fitting box , and after the 2nd try I got it right no leaks, first time I cracked the brass short and then broke it off in the tee, so a new tee trying to get a leak fixed, all good now ,off to the striping lady and get the governor eyelets fixed by brazing and drilling, I think this might have become one of my favorites along with the Gade, that gets a original cart soon to from Iowa...
Old 01-18-2017, 09:26:47 PM
Subscriber

Rich, thats a really nice engine. If Im not mistaken, I believe I saw that engine when I went and picked one up from Tom Winland. It looks alot different now. You did a great job.
I do have a question about it. Did it ever run off a magneto? I know alot of guys have converted some engines over, but I didnt see a place for a mag on your Challenge.
The Following User Says Thank You to WCraig For This Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 09:53:47 PM
Subscriber

Yeah this is the one Tom Winland had, he had it listed as a 2hp, but I noticed the 3 hp part numbers on the fly wheels, and, a couple other places . and found the part numbers on Steve Barrs site , http://www.oldengine.org/members/sba.../Challenge.htm in the Hourglass engines after 6,000 serial number, parts page, this one has no tag, but the little screws are there.As far as a mag that I don't know, it looks like the timer on others and parts page I have seen, as someone painted it before I got it , wish better, but you don't see these to often,ya snag a fish when ya can ,lol, I knew of a 11/2 to for sale, but, I need a enclosed trailer /toy hauler, is the next BIG bucks to be spent, getting really hard to sleep in the truck camper with the RA advancing......I also found some 525 25 Champion nos plugs on ebay to they are the good ones it made the Gade run better to, those silver ones are JUNK..
Old 01-19-2017, 11:46:37 AM
Subscriber

Rich, you mentioned this was one of your favorite engines. What are your top 5 favorites that you own?
The Following User Says Thank You to WCraig For This Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 01:11:57 PM
Subscriber

Probably the 6 hp Hourglass, 8 hp Muleteam, 41/2 United, and a original Choreboy 1914, and the Gades, kinda attached to all of them , some just run better and more easier to mess with these days. Love to run the 8 Muleteam in the shop or outside, a nice and slow run. The Challenge hoisting rig is a oddball, been thinking about making a little sled and find some older rope to make a kiddie ride, maybe some of us older guys might get a kick out of it to, at shows. Its one you have to be really aware, of, where you put your hands, finger, etc, if you really like them well!! Also at shows, I never, let it to close to the roped off area and get nervous about little kids around it, there is NO second chance or mercy with it , with the cage around it, and gears and close spaces of castings and wheels, without the cage!! This is the 1 S Challenge hoisting rig https://youtu.be/760BTxCQfNU