Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

3 Hp Challenge Hour Glass

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 2578 times

Old 01-19-2017, 03:08:06 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 3 Hp Challenge Hour Glass

Id like to see a picture of the Chore Boy or the United. I had a chance to buy a smaller United and Im still kicking myself.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 05:27:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,414 Posts

Pictures are in my album here is my Associated fleet minus 1 Choreboy I have to replace the tank on, https://youtu.be/G-aHNFg59mQ and my United 41/2 and 4 mule again, https://youtu.be/uqU0bef2jZo more vids are on my youtube
Old 01-20-2017, 07:25:40 AM
Subscriber

Im fairly new to the old iron scene, but Ive been looking around for awhile now. Are the Challenge engines very common? I see alot of the same brands for sale or on display, but from what I can tell, the Challenges are somewhat rare.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25:35 AM
Subscriber

I posted this on Facebook RARE is for meat, unless your Jon Rozenvick, his term for rare meat is, RAW, lol, but think Rare and more will come out of the wood works, uncommon, Yes, unless it would be a Challenge featured show , you wont see 5 or more at a show , I have found. Not that many early ones around, and the Hourglass engines dont come up that often or real$$$$, unless your as lucky as Tom Nowak, his 4 hp , if he didn't buy it, I was going to KC real fast!!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:49:25 AM
Subscriber

First of all, not a tear in my beer, even though I No longer drink, ,pity, or blame, where this engine come from, just a reminder of WHAT can HAPPEN out there to these old guys, read on I found another 2 hp that did the same thing in the UK , and weirdly just not long ago to.. Ok I went to the Elsberry Mo show and on Sunday morning I noticed a little wobble in the right flywheel on this guy, a friend looked it over with me and we both thought we where seeing things, checked it over GOOD, started it up, sat down, 5-10 mins later I heard a LOUD CLANG, WE all hate to hear that CLANG, I looked over and the left flywheel was stopped, the right cam gear side was coasting to a stop, and the pictures below is why. The one I read about and contacted by a gent in the UK, had the timer for the buzz coil short out and they think it fired AT RUNNING speed wrong and the piston stopped, the flywheels kept going and snapped the crank in the exact same position, I have not found where mine done this as of yet, this break was very old, could it have happened long ago and no one knew it or a flaw or mishap of some sort? That will never be known I guess, but THIS IS A REMINDER of what will and can happen, and would have been REALLY disastrous if the cam gear had been on the other side and this would have continued to run and TOTAL self destruction and shrapnel would have been thrown all over , just lucky this time no one hurt, and either a NEW crank made or hopefully another can be found. A REMINDER NEVER leave these old guys running by them selves and watch the speed, another issue it could have over speeded, one day in its 100 yr old life time and fractured the crank, unknown, by the spring breaking on the gov , this style has a spring that holds tension to slow the engine down, if the spring would break it would take off and be thrown apart, which the crank usually breaks first,unless shut off real fast.. So I guess I need a crank for a 3hp Challenge hour glass, anyone have one in their hip pocket lol BUMMER, not the words that was going through my mind at the moment , I cant print that on Harrys site!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenge 3hp crankshaft 001.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	291479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenge 3hp crankshaft 002.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	291480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenge 3hp crankshaft 003.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	291481  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:33:32 PM
Subscriber

Rich, sorry for your bad luck. I loved hearing this engine running in the videos that you have shared with us. I hope you can find a replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to WCraig For This Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15:13 AM
Subscriber

Well this old girl went to the ER Monday to get a new billet steel crank made, been a while since I felt like messing with it and Chris had the time to do it. I never took it apart Chris wanted to measure everything the way it is now, just removed the crank shield and oiler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190204_090719.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	328073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190204_090705.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	328074  
Old 02-07-2019, 07:42:38 PM
Subscriber

Rich, I'm anxious to see how this goes. I really like this engine and I hope it gets fixed soon. Ive kept my eyes open on Engineads, but I never seem them for sale. Please keep us posted on the progress of the repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to WCraig For This Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 04:02:35 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,044 Times in 312 Posts

Rich.
that was a disaster and unless the repair can be done at mates rates it is an expensive exercise.
Did you have the engine running slow? although I know they sound great running slow I prefer to have my hit and miss engines running about three quarters of their rated speed. The reason for this is because on the firing stroke they they suck in a full charge and the resulting explosion puts a lot of stress on the back end of the engine eventually causing excessive wear on the big end and I have heard of engines breaking in half. the extra stress will exploit any weakness the engine may have.

My throttlers mostly run at the rated speed.

Merv
The Following User Says Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 10:08:17 AM
Subscriber

It was running about half rated speed , I know about the stresses of running to slow without retarding the timing ATDC, and on the Hourglass engines the timing can be adjusted by the bullet shaped handle on timer. What transpired before I got it is unknown and run all summer at shows with no problems ,noises etc until the very last one. Also this was a running engine when bought to, not many hourglass 3 hp around so it could be why ,a flaw in the canks and only used on the 3hp, 2 hp and later flattops are different. ...