Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks Morse 3hp Plugocillator Magneto Help

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 551 times

Old 01-31-2019, 11:01:01 AM
Registered

Question Fairbanks Morse 3hp Plugocillator Magneto Help

Hello everyone, I'm new to this group and very happy to have found this forum. Im near finished with a complete restoration of my 1918 Fairbanks morse 3hp z type b plugocillator. It came with the original sumpter magneto, believe it's a style 14. I opened it up, no rust inside looks good. Coil has continuity, magnets appear weak. I'd like to get it working again but don't know how to properly test it. It's a California engine, so parts are not very rusty. Does anyone have advice to to repair it or has a referral.?
Next question is, would it be easier to connect a spark coil instead, and how is this done, where to get these parts from? Thank you, any help is appreciated. Pete.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2019, 11:04:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse 3hp Plugocillator Magneto Help

It's pretty simple to make it run with a coil and battery. I think I have a diagram in my photos. If I do I will attach a copy.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13:43 PM
Registered

Here is the diagram, hope this helps. I just made this system for a Hercules 1 1/2 hp today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	327666  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:24:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,785 Times in 1,689 Posts

Try to find someone local who can charge your magnets. If you ask around at shows, someone will know somebody with a charger. Sounds like the rest of your magneto is ok and with the magnets up to snuff, it should be good and hot.
Have you tried tripping the magneto/ignitor assembly to see if there’s spark?

---------- Post added at 10:24:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjohnhunt View Post
Here is the diagram, hope this helps. I just made this system for a Hercules 1 1/2 hp today.
This won’t work on Kanonier74’s engine. A plugoscillator is a low tension ignitor. There’s no spark plug.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 01:32:06 AM
Registered-III

Try your magneto first to see if it is 'hot'. Only operate it in a way that it will make a spark to ground via jumpimg a small gap or spark plug. Best not to operate the magneto with the HT lead just hanging in mid air this damages the magneto.
As for recharging, Junkologist made a great suggestion and then you will meet someone who can help you out and become a great mate. Failing that there is a sponsors page listed in the dark blue line at the top of the page on the very right hand end. Find one near you and make contact with them.
For me I like to see a magneto on an engine that came with one but it is always your choice as it is your toy. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:39:02 AM
Subscriber

You need too get Gab too Recharge you Mag! Ben
Old 02-01-2019, 09:08:32 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
Try your magneto first to see if it is 'hot'. Only operate it in a way that it will make a spark to ground via jumpimg a small gap or spark plug. Best not to operate the magneto with the HT lead just hanging in mid air this damages the magneto.
The plugoscillator is a low tension mag. It produces only a couple of volts and will not jump a gap. A low tension system creates a spark only when the ignitor points snap open. There is no spark plug involved. There is no high tension to destroy a coil.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:34:21 PM
Registered

thanks for all the advice friends.
yes its a low tension sumpter #14, that came original with the engine. the shaft was rusted and seized, after oiling it and carefully completely disassembling it, everything moves with ease now. magnets do appear weak but the coils and other parts inside look amazingly very well. I think it works, just don't know exactly how to test it. I have a multimeter (DVOM), if I mount it on the ignitor bracket, trip it , I don't see spark when the points are open, this im doing on the bench and im not sure if this is a valid test. Ill attach pictures at a later time. thanks everyone .

---------- Post added at 04:34:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32:08 PM ----------

can you get me Gabes # , thx Ben
Old 02-05-2019, 10:16:36 AM
Registered

I took the mag completely apart again, turns out the magnets were backwards, corrected this, feel some little resistance now when turning the mag but only 1.8v coming out. I have it apart now down to the bare coil. I measure between the 2 wire ends and have an open circuit. I suspect there is an open in the winding somewhere. Does anyone have further advise or a resource? Thank you.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:25:24 AM
Registered

I added some pictures of the coil. I have an open circuit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190204_171830.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	327942   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190204_173132.jpg
Views:	24