Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Ebay has a new policy?

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 2127 times

Old 02-03-2019, 01:06:39 AM
Sponsor

Default Ebay has a new policy?

I was talking to a friend tonight and he was telling me that he won an engine on ebay - was notified by ebay that he had won. The next day he paid for it and a short time later he got a message from ebay that the ebay auction had been canceled by the seller after coming down. He did get his money back but is this a new policy by ebay to let the seller cancel the deal after it came down and was awarded?? It would sure benefit the seller. I guess that if the seller does not get what he wants for his item he can cancel??
There was no reserve, buy it now and started at a low price
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2019, 01:14:12 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ebay has a new policy ?????

You are certainly allowed to do that, but I believe you are only allowed to do so once per quarter, unless you have a registered ebay business. As a seller, you simply click the "item damaged or lost" button to initiate the refund. However most ebayers abuse this policy and do exactly that, relist the item simply because it did not bring what he/she wanted. I know a guy who does this with every sale he makes on ebay. He cancels after payment is made, so that he can make the sale outside of ebay, via paypal email, and bypass ebay's 10% fee on the item. It is wrong and very messed up. Sadly he is a fellow stakker who knows the ins and outs of ebay to run his "business". I have had this happen to me on two occasions after winning certain parts very cheap, only to find it was "damaged or misplaced" and then relisted a week later. Sadly calling ebay about the seller has little to no ill effect. What is worse is that ebay has made it extremely difficult to leave negative feedback for sellers who engage in this activity in this manner.

Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 02:23:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,813 Times in 1,879 Posts
Default Re: Ebay has a new policy?

I cannot say what others do, but yes a seller can cancel after a sale, but as mentioned only so many times per period before getting penalized one way or other by ebay. Not sure how one could do as Ktron describes without getting booted.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:05:17 AM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 4,021 Times in 609 Posts

Sounds like a bad deal if the seller just canceled the sale because they didnít get as much as they wanted. I havenít done auctions in a long time but I have canceled the sale a few times when the situation didnít seem right. I had a guy buy a part a few months ago who seemed like a angry nut job. He bought an item then was contacted me on Facebook and seemed weird then blocked me on there for no apparent reason. I canceled the sale and refunded his money. Then he had his wife buy it and I canceled that sale. She asked why I did that and I told her it was because I didnít feel comfortable dealing with her husband. She said ď I understandĒ. I guess she probably knew he was a stupid a hole..

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink For This Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 09:16:07 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 2,794 Times in 619 Posts

Easy way around the problem. Do a reserve price, do a best offer with set price, price it high enough so you will be satisfied with the sale. Price it for $1.00 and take what you get. When i started dealing on ebay some 20 years ago if you had four negative feed back you were banned and now i see sellers with hundreds of negative feed back. The reason for that is ebay would not have many sellers using the early restrictions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gene Fisher For This Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 02:25:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,489 Posts

I had a guy do that to me. I won fair and square and the guy simply refused to cooperate (was local pickup). Contacted eBay and they said they couldn't make him sell the item. What about "binding contract?". Get a lawyer. Nice.

Turns out he is also a Stakker. If I can find the thread I'll post the Smokstak user name and eBay user name. Or just link to the thread. I absolutely expose sacks of &4!1 like that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 02:25:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,049 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rozevink View Post
Sounds like a bad deal if the seller just canceled the sale because they didnít get as much as they wanted. I havenít done auctions in a long time but I have canceled the sale a few times when the situation didnít seem right. I had a guy buy a part a few months ago who seemed like a angry nut job. He bought an item then was contacted me on Facebook and seemed weird then blocked me on there for no apparent reason. I canceled the sale and refunded his money. Then he had his wife buy it and I canceled that sale. She asked why I did that and I told her it was because I didnít feel comfortable dealing with her husband. She said ď I understandĒ. I guess she probably knew he was a stupid a hole..

I wondered why you canceled the sale to my wife Jon..............

Just kidding. I can see the rare instance when a seller would need to do this. I bought a fuel tank off a guy that I know quite well. He contacted me a few days after the sale and said he went to pick the tank up out of the corner of his shop and it wasn't there. He said he hunted and hunted but never found it. I told him to just keep looking and if he found it, just let me know. After a couple of weeks he called and said no luck. So, he canceled the sale and I got my money back. I have no doubt with this gent. Someone lifted the tank, it got mistakenly tossed or loaded with something else, etc. Things happen I understand. But, if someone decides "I think that thing will bring $20 more in a couple of weeks" then its wrong. If the buyer is held to ebay's "commitment to purchase is a contract" then the seller should as well.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:07:20 AM
Sponsor

I do realize that we are living in the time of deception, untruths, finger pointing and scams and I am having a hard time understanding why not play by the rules??
I do think it might be a great idea to post the people who do this type of business so those who try to play by the rules will know not to bid on there items (unless the item is needed badly)
It seems to me like going to an auction where TOADIES are posted to run up the items. Just put a reserve on the item if you are afraid it will go to low.
I do admire people like OLE Jon Roz who puts on what he wants and if you need it buy it and a lot of the time he will deal with you. NO DECEPTION nessary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
I had a guy do that to me. I won fair and square and the guy simply refused to cooperate (was local pickup). Contacted eBay and they said they couldn't make him sell the item. What about "binding contract?". Get a lawyer. Nice.

Turns out he is also a Stakker. If I can find the thread I'll post the Smokstak user name and eBay user name. Or just link to the thread. I absolutely expose sacks of &4!1 like that.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:47:51 PM
Sponsor

OK - Was talking to my friend that got nailed by the sale on ebay that was I guess Legally canceled by the seller after the item came down.
His question and I guess mine is what if one or several bid up an item that one of these so called legal scammers put up for bid with no reserve and get it at a real high closing price? Then after a couple of days they do not pay this guy. Are they not doing the same thing but in reverse Or canceling the purchase just like they canceled the sell??
Would like to here some response's or thoughts - Frozen Ted
Old 02-10-2019, 02:52:43 PM
Registered-III

Inverted,
I though I had the largest doorstop collection
Bill in KY