Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Almost Ready to Run My IHC LA (or is it an LB?)

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 456 times

Old 02-04-2019, 11:46:13 PM
Registered

Default Almost Ready to Run My IHC LA (or is it an LB?)

I bought an IHC LA or LB engine in October at an auction. I frankly don't know which it is. There's no serial tag and I've tried to firgure it out by looking at pictures, and I'm not 100%. There is a throttle lever above the flywheel, which I've been told only existed on the LB, but there's nothing that looks like an automatic oiler, which I read was an LB feature also. I don't really know what this "oiler" would look like, but I can't really see any oiling mechanism of any kind.

I didn't know anything at all about it when I bid on it. I knew it was an IHC (I have IH tractors) and I wanted a stationary engine. I bid, expecting to be outbid, and I won it.

I figured the mag would at least need points and a condenser so I bought those and brought it to my grandpa. He's a guru with old ag equipment. I had no idea what I was doing so I was super glad for his help. The mag had no "snap", so there was definitely not going to be any spark. I had a broken spring.

I ordered a new spring and felt washer and gaskets for the mag (Mainley Magnetos), replaced the points and condenser (Tractor Supply) and put it back together. Then I got some really sharp looking black plug wire with red braided in (Tom's Engine Barn). It looks nice! In the moment of truth, we had spark!

Yesterday and today I opened up the crankcase and emptied a few cans of brake cleaner into there and let me tell you, some GUNK came out of the bottom of that thing.

The engine has compression and there's a new gas tank that came with it that I have to plumb up to the carb yet. I do have a few questions at this point, before I try to start it.

1) What oil should I use considering the unknowns of an engine that's been sitting for some time? Is there such a thing as a "detergent" crankcase oil?

2) How far post-TDC should the ignition be? I was thinking about 4 degrees...

3) The carburetor. I'm going to try to run it without dissecting the carb. Anything to be aware of here?

4) Oiling the rockers. Just hit it with an oil can?

5) Gas. I think these are very low compression so any gas should work. Should I use lead additive?

6) Anything you know of, that I haven't thought of?

I appreciate any feedback at all
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34:40 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Almost Ready to Run My IHC LA (or is it an LB?)

i'd put strait 30 weight mineral oil in the crank, as for gas reg unleaded is fine, its a low compression engine, if you want you can ad instead of lead (auto zone) to protect the soft valve seats
Old 02-05-2019, 12:14:35 PM
Registered

I have confirmed that this is an oil cup-style (that might mean LA, except my engine has a throttle handle).

However, my oil cup is missing. I can't tell if it was taken out or broken off. Either way, I need a 90 degree elbow oil cup. Any idea where to find that?

---------- Post added at 11:14:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWRB View Post
I have confirmed that this is an oil cup-style (that might mean LA, except my engine has a throttle handle).

However, my oil cup is missing. I can't tell if it was taken out or broken off. Either way, I need a 90 degree elbow oil cup. Any idea where to find that?
I have never bought one, but I see they're common, and even on McMaster. Anyone know the thread size for the LA?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:28:52 PM
Subscriber

Only the very early LA engines had no throttle handle. If your engine has no rocker oiler. Which is a tube above the rocker arms then it is an LA. Also all LB engines have IHC magnetos. The LA's used two different types of Wico mags then the last ones had IHC mags. The LB had a wider rocker cover as well. The LA rocker cover is narrow and has a door on the side to oil the rockers. I would recommend removing the carb and making sure the compensator disc is free. It will rust up over time and your engine will not run correctly. Remove the two bolts and the carb is in two pieces. The upper pot metal half and the lower cast iron half. The compensator disc is in the lower half on a peg with a spring and cotter pin holding it down. Also make sure the main jet is clear and the check valve in the pickup is free. Any oil will work, I use 10w-30 in all my tractors and engines just because I don't want all kinds of different oil around.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:17:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Only the very early LA engines had no throttle handle. If your engine has no rocker oiler. Which is a tube above the rocker arms then it is an LA. Also all LB engines have IHC magnetos. The LA's used two different types of Wico mags then the last ones had IHC mags. The LB had a wider rocker cover as well. The LA rocker cover is narrow and has a door on the side to oil the rockers. I would recommend removing the carb and making sure the compensator disc is free. It will rust up over time and your engine will not run correctly. Remove the two bolts and the carb is in two pieces. The upper pot metal half and the lower cast iron half. The compensator disc is in the lower half on a peg with a spring and cotter pin holding it down. Also make sure the main jet is clear and the check valve in the pickup is free. Any oil will work, I use 10w-30 in all my tractors and engines just because I don't want all kinds of different oil around.
This is helpful, thank you. So It sounds like I have a late LA.
  1. No oiler tube, but a threaded hole appears to be present for a cup
  2. throttle handle is present
  3. valve cover is long gone, so no information there
  4. IHC H1 Mag (though this could have gotten swapped, I assume it's original

I think I might open up the carb like you suggest, since I have to wait on an oil cup to arrive anyway. It doesn't sound that intimidating the way you've described it.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:01:36 PM
Subscriber

KW- It sounds like you're getting it figured out. Be careful with that carb, the top part is pot metal and fairly fragile. Especially where the fuel line threads in. If those threads are already stripped, you can get a brass 1/4" barb fitting and JB weld it in there. And then use rubber fuel line down to the tank. Keep us updated!
Old 02-05-2019, 03:23:32 PM

Here is a link to the manual for the LA with Wico Mag, if you need it.

IHC LA Manual
SmokStak Member #28
Old 02-05-2019, 04:08:01 PM
Registered-II

The way I quickly I'd a la from lb when I buy either one of them , look at valve. rocker arms . If they are identical it's a lb. if they are for right or left Side it's la. Also a lot of parts will inter change. Faint always tell by mag. The last lb I bought had a Fairbanks moris mag on it. I was told someone had bought a conversion kit . Don't know what a conversion kit consist of because a gear was welded to the slotted impulse drive and flange mounting adapter was machined to bolt mag to engine. Engine ran well but I did by IH mag to put on engine.