Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Associated Chore Boy Questions

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 446 times

Old 02-10-2019, 06:31:35 PM
Registered

Default Associated Chore Boy Questions

I am just starting to mess with the one of my several engines I've recently got. It is a Associated Chore Boy 1-3/4. From what I am gathering up it seems this engine has been changed over to run on a spark plug. The other engine I have that I have tinkered with ( it's at my shop right now and can't remember the brand) used an igniter set up. Can anyone give me some insight on why this was changed over and what I would need to get it running using this set up. Maybe some more info on this engine and the original set up. I'm new to all this and even though I'm only 31 it drives me nuts trying to look this stuff up and stare at a computer screen. Thanks in advance for any information!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190210_121030326.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	328355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190210_142718475.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	328356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190210_172913045.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	328359  
The Following User Says Thank You to LogWay023 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: Associated Chore Boy Questions

You have to remember that in the 1920's and, especially the 30's, the farmer owner of these engines did not care about originality, they just wanted it to run. He might have encountered some problems with the ignitor and corn crib mechaniced it over to a spark plug unit. $5 at that time was like $300 today. Bill Graves, 12232 Graves Road, Camden, New York 13316, phone number 315-245-0589, is well versed on Associated Engines and deals in many repro parts and used parts for Associated Engines. I suggest calling him. It's unique your engine is tagged 1.75 HP as Wendel's book says it's rated at 2 HP in 1917. I hope this helps you out. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Olyj1947 For This Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 10:29:39 PM
Subscriber

It was definitely converted over to use a spark plug instead of the original ignitor. It could have used a straight trip or a goose neck trip to trip the ignitor. The earlier Chore Boys used a straight trip. I prefer to have the engines be as close to original as possible so I would consider finding a used one on engineads. I purchased a really nice remake from Jim Albaitis. He does excellent work.
The Following User Says Thank You to WCraig For This Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 11:18:55 PM
Subscriber

Your first move should be to get a manual for it. I know Hit&Miss carries them, and probably other vendors on the Vendor page here on Smokestack. It will have a parts list and a detailed drawing showing the parts as they should be on your engine. I see yours is a 1 3/4 H.P. Chore Boy which had a four bolt Associated magneto. Those magnetos are $400 plus now, but you don't have to use the magneto to return the engine to an original configuration unless you want to. The magneto was a $10 option. You do need a good ignitor and the appropriate tripping device, which I believe would be a straight trip, considering my estimate of the age of your engine. You can then use a low tension coil and a six or twelve volt battery for spark. If you want to replace the magneto, they are available but you would also need the gears to go between the magneto and the cam gear. As Oly stated, Bill Graves is an excellent source of both parts and information relating to Associated built engines. Many of these engines were changed to a spark plug and a high tension Ford coil because they were available and a cheap, easy alternative to repairing or replacing the original equipment at the time. Good luck with your project.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55:55 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,414 Posts

It would have had a straight trip on it originally, so you want to find a straight trip that goes on sidebar and a straight trip igniter,NOT a gooseneck they are different if you get a igniter from Jim let him know straight trip and all you will have to is bolt it on and time. Look on classifieds I seen a 4 bolt mag yeah they are high dollar but it will run without it, also if you talk to Bill see if he has a detent arm for gov that one looks repaired.. odd muffler somone made for that lol.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05:15 AM
Registered-I

Good looking engine and cart. The four bolt magneto's are running in the $440 price range now - yikes! Jim A. makes a super good ignitor as I purchased one from him for my Hired Man. That spark plug on your's has to go! I run my engine either from the mag or low tension coil I made myself with a SPDT switch to switch to either power source, and the new ignitor fires the engine from both mag or coil without any changes to the ignitor. Goog luck with it!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:57:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,414 Posts

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=old...ageindex%2Ehtm Here is a good site to look at for the serial number list. I noticed when I looked on the pc that there is also a gov weight missing, talk to Bill about one of those to, make sure the gov collar will slide on the crankshaft, and a gov detent arm, and a good check ball valve he has if you put a tank on it in front, those can be bought on ebay from flywheel supply..
Old 02-11-2019, 12:12:15 PM
Subscriber

I noticed the nuts arent tight on the head bolts. You might want to replace the head gasket before you tighten them.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:20:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the replys. I'll start looking into all of this information. I have the missing weight. I had taken it off to get some things freed up. I had also removed the head and will get a gasket before reassembling everything. I'll keep y'all updated as I make some progress hopefully soon.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29:00 PM
Registered-I

You have the original,straight trip igniter "ABS" casting still on the engine which has been fitted "upside down" and modified for a spark plug.I would get that larger,threaded hole plugged up and machined back to take the LT electrode.You should be able to source the other igniter parts you need (stationary electrode,mica washers,trip,springs etc) easily enough