Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Farmer’s Friend Corn Planter

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1647 times

Old 10-04-2016, 11:07:41 PM
Registered

Default Farmer’s Friend Corn Planter

In 1903 Carl Piepenburg, formerly of Pomren, Germany, bought a half section in Horton Township, Stevens County some 12 miles southwest of Morris MN. Three boxcars were rented to bring their belongings from Jackson County MN to Hancock. Horses and milk cows and machinery took up two of the cars. This corn planter very likely made that trip.
Farming was a prosperous venture for Carl and his 3 sons. Much work was done by hand. One of the first in the area to have a corn planter, Carl was a very up-to-date farmer and ever on the lookout for labor saving devices. Carl and his sons had 20 horses and often 3 hired men. Very soon after their arrival they built an overhead storage tank to provide running water to all the barns for the livestock. Special compartments were fashioned for cream, milk, and other items that needed cooling in the tank. (From the booklet ďPiepenburgĒ by Ruth (Piepenburg) Dahl-Domingo)
The planter was stored in the upstairs granary leanto about the time when Bill Piepenburg inherited/bought the farm in 1925. Olaf Dahl, a son in law of Carlís son Albert Piepenburg, rented the farm in 1942 and purchased it in 1951. He died in 1958. The children, David and Duane Dahl, still remember the corn planter in the granary. In 1960 David and Virginia Mahoney purchased the farm with the corn planter still up in the granary. The corn planter moved to Morris in the 70ís with David and Virginia Mahoney. It was graciously passed back to Neil Thielke of the Piepenburg family by David and Virginia in 2015.

Farmers Friend Manufacturing:
In 1868 the business of manufacturing agricultural implements was commenced at Dayton Ohio in a two-story frame building. The company was organized for the purpose of manufacturing grain drills, but in 1879 a line of corn planters was added. In 1886, another addition was made to the manufactures in the form of tooth harrows, and in other several lines, and in 1888 a lawn mower was added to their several other lines. The machines now manufactured by this company were the grain drills known as the "Farmer's Friend," and the "Monarch;" corn planters, check rowers, and the corn drill known as the "Farmer's Friend;" the spring-tooth harrow known as the "U. T. K.," and the lawn mower known as the "Dayton." The number of machines being manufactured by this company varied from ten thousand to fifteen thousand annually. The number of employees varied from one hundred and fifty to two hundred. http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/page/page/3432383.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0820161546b.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	264620   Click image for larger version

Name:	0820161547d.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	264621   Click image for larger version

Name:	0820161547.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	264622   Click image for larger version

Name:	0820161547a.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	264623  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nthielke For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2017, 01:16:01 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Farmerís Friend corn planter

Heres what i believe is a very early 2 man Challenge corn planter. Last patent date of 1875. This one predates "wired knot check row" planters.

My question is what would the term used for this 2 man method of planting. I think its called "check" planting. The next or later using wired knot wire method was called "check row" planting. With the older method I know the field had to be marked out in both directions using a row marker in both directions. This row marker was probably farmer made with row spacing for his horses width when cultivating.

Usually a kid was the second rider on this planter using the wood handle "checked/dropped" kernels at the intersections the marker made in the dirt. I know this is really ol'timey way back there and no one prolly alive planted this method. thanks 4 any information.

in this cut he appears to be "marking out" using the planter rather than a homemade layout marker.

Last edited by mschreiber; 03-06-2017 at 08:27:14 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 11:31:37 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Farmerís Friend Corn Planter

Through researching patent numbers it appears this planter above was manufactured by George w. Brown "the inventor of the horse drawn corn planter". I found and purchased it in north central Illinois. Photos of seed box w/ patent info. and black/white photo of it at a county or state fair display mid 50's or 60's. After i get cleaned up i'll start its own titled posting.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 01:58:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,443 Posts

This was taken at our local show about 18 years ago when we featured John Deere.Did John Deere sell Farmer's Friend planters?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15232138_10153939862447051_6378233087290169545_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	276937  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 05:52:54 PM
Registered-III

i don't know. i just started researching now after finally finding a 2 seater after 25 year search. the photo u posted show clearly 2 farmer friend corn planters differences, 1 being older 2 seat model and 1 nthielke posted the later wire check rower planter. a lot of the older 2 seat models were converted to check rowers and the seat just left. mine was converted at 1 time but the parts are long gone. probably put on a better working 2 seater.

This article doesn't even mention 2 seat planter in corn planting history, but great info about check row planting.
http://www.farmcollector.com/impleme...d-sowing-crops

the cut i've added below shows a later brown planter, this is browns version of a check row method of dropping seed. no kid was needed as the spaced knots in the wire tripped a mechinacizm on the planter that dropped the seed. i believe "check rowers" became the craze in the early 1880's, with many older 2 person machines being converted to a "check rower".

fyi my planting runners are 42" apart, for fat horses when cultivating.

Last edited by mschreiber; 03-09-2017 at 06:52:50 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mschreiber For This Post: