Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

G.W. Brown 2 Person Corn Planter, Horse Drawn, 1875 Patent Date

this thread has 46 replies and has been viewed 3572 times

Old 10-15-2017, 02:47:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: G.W. Brown 2 Person Corn Planter, Horse Drawn, 1875 Patent Date

Mschreieber; where are the stamped marking on the brown planters.my older brown has pen stripes on the axle, frame and spokes. It doesn" t have a swivel on the back for markers
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2017, 09:31:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,150 Times in 550 Posts

Stamped numbers are on some of the wood parts that were easily seen from the topside. i haven't been able to crawl all over/under it to find more. I believe every wood part was stripped on mine. I'm afraid to clean the dust/dirt off it fearing to loose some stripping.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:14:27 PM
Registered-III

I am surprised how many of the above check row planters still have the second seat. thanks 4 posting.

Can someone help me understand how the driver of a check wire planter went down the field? How were the stakes placed? Did he move both stakes at both ends of the field b4 starting another row? Or was there enough slack in the wire for him to go off the stake enough and stay with the previous marked row? are there any online instructions with illustrations? thanks 4 any help.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:02:45 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,185 Times in 2,728 Posts

I've never done it myself, but I can remember seeing my Grandparents doing it on their small truck farm. First, the planter operator sets the first stake at the starting headland, attaches the wire and drives across the field unrolling the wire. At the opposite headland he sets the other stake and attaches the wire and drops off the roll. He then turns the rig around and attaches the wire to the trip mechanism on the side of the planter towards the edge of the field. They always work away from the side of the field with the wire laid out on. That way the wire is out of the way of the planter. When the rig reaches the other end, you release the wire and turn around for the next pass. Then you move the stake over to the planter for the next pass and re hook the wire to the planter and make the next pass. You keep repeating this cycle as you work across the field. When finished you then hook up the wire to the spool and hook up the winding drive chain and proceed across the field winding up the wire. It's a slow and tedious job, but then so was walking and hand weeding the crop, so if you get the check correctly in register you can cultivate the field in two directions and there by keep it clean. If you can find an old operators book for those early planters it usually has detailed instructions on how to do it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:31:01 AM
Subscriber

Adding a few shots from the Wisconsin Historical Society's , Stonefield Village in Cassville, Wi. Super nice planter original planter in the museum facility. A must see stop if you are ever in SW Wisconsin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	293973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	293974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	293975  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kent McMakin For This Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03:34 AM
Registered-III

Wow! yet another check rower with the second seat still on it?
thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 03:16:24 PM
Subscriber

Two more from Stonefield. One is listed as a Farmers Friend and the other, a Quincy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	293986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	293987  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kent McMakin For This Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 09:35:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,565 Times in 2,143 Posts

Thanks for showing all of the old planters. FWurth's description of the use of the check wire is exactly as my father did it.
My great grandfather, Joseph W. Adcock, about 1830 to 1901 developed a corn planter on his farm and Brown came to look at it and then Brown got a patent on it. My Adcock relatives claimed that, "Brown stole the patent from Joseph W. Adcock". We still have that farm just northwest of Galesburg Illinois which his ancestors bought in 1834.
Brown also made small steam engines.

My father's John Deere planter was just wrecked last spring when a worker backed into it, breaking the axle and ruining one wheel. We are looking for replacement parts or a planter. It is a two row with cast iron lids on the round boxes and is all steel and iron except the tongue pole.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23:10 PM
Subscriber

I don't want to be accused of hijacking a thread. . . BUT, I was just looking for some particular information about corn-planters - see, Ed, I didn't say "Seeders" . . . I'll learn eventually.
So Kent has already been given permission here to hijack the thread and provide more planter pictures.
As he said, Warren Paulson collected some interesting early planters.
Kent is a fountain of knowledge, and I am not even worthy to be called grasshopper, BUT I'm trying to learn from him, Oilpulled, and others. . . I'm one of of the small band of happy idiots trying to keep PAMA open for business.

We have one board member who is working very hard to track down and eradicate a rare and pesky insect that has done a small amount of damage to some wooden implements. I think he has it figured out, and the little bastards are on the run. One board member focuses his effort on the model railroad and keeping track of who is renting the meeting room. One member focuses primarily on the tractors and planning ahead to take a few to the Boone County Fair and other events.

For my part, I am trying to catalog the collection. A poor effort was made in 2010, and I'm trying to do a more thorough job. Since Kent got the ball rolling here, I'd like to post a picture of each of the 8 planters Warren left us (I should say 9, but one is being treated differently than the rest and I haven't figured out why) - what the hell, if there is even the slightest interest, I'll post all 10 of them. Or is it 11? I'll start with the 8 that are all lined up and in similar condition.

If I got the right pictures, you should now have
1 - Rockford - Briggs & Enoch - planter
2 - Emerson Talcott
3 - Deere & Mansur
4 - fuller & Johnson

I think Kent already posted a couple of these, but not all 8.
Regarding the Emerson Talcott; one visitor told me he thought this was an early planter (pre checkrow) and the checkrow mechanism was added later.
That MIGHT be the answer to a question someone brought up earlier, or it could be incorrect.
Please keep in mind I am new to this equipment but trying to learn as much as possible to help keep the information available.
I'm going to be investing some money in signage very soon so any information or clarification I can get will go right to use educating the public. So PLEASE, don't spare my feelings; if I'm wrong I want to know about it.
I have an interest in knowing the CORRECt answers so I can pass along good info.

Also, the one I have number 03 - the Deere and Mansur - Kent knows a thousand times more than I do and he said it was unidentified. . . I think. . . the SEAT says Deere and Mansur. . . does that mean it may not be correctly identified as Deere and Mansur? Maybe someone put the wrong seat on it?

We have more than 700 cast iron implement seats; if it is possible one of these planters has the wrong seat on it, but we have the right one on the wall, I don't see why I wouldn't change the seat in the interest of authenticity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180207_180721.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	314091   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180207_180641.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	314092   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_174642.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	314093   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuller Y JOhneons.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	314094  

The Following User Says Thank You to EmersonFan For This Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 03:41:36 PM
Subscriber

Default Can I change the title? Horse drawn corn planters

Number 05 is the Challenge Corn planter.
Number 06 is the Farmer's Friend
Number 07 is the Barlow
Number 08 is the keystone with wooden wheels

I don' know a lot about any of these, but it seems they are all different, and all very similar in that they are early planters; mostly pre-check-row.
It is my understanding the only reason these all have two seats is, they were used BEFORE checkrow planting became the norm. The front seat that looks like a milking stool was omitted on later planters from approx. 1880 - 1940, becoming a one-man operation.
If this is INCORRECT, I hope someone here will set me straight.

I hope I haven't made a mistake by posting these 8 implements here.
Kent posted some of them but not others; I assumed it was because he is a busy guy but maybe there was some logical reason he would have suggested to me to not post one or more of these.

Warren Paulson was VERY interested in Emerson Brantingham and accumulated a large amount of E B implements; Kent is also a subject-matter expert on that Rockford manufacturer.
If you look closely at this collection of 8 planters, you might notice there is one thing they all have in common; none of them are E-B.
That may be something that will be corrected soon. . . other parties are involved and I don't want to blurt out something that should be announced differently or in a different venue, but MAYBE the absence of the E-B 2-row planter is something that will be corrected one day.
In general, the Paulson collection is extraordinarily stable; the board has not acquired or divested of anything since Warren's death in the fall of 2012. But, if there was an incomplete project, and if someone were to help fullfull Warren's plan, that would be an interesting thing to announce, right?
Stay tuned, we MIGHT have something to boast soon.

In addition to the wooden-wheeled Keystone planter here, there is another Keystone planter stored in a different location.
and, we have what looks like a pretty complete John Deere checkrow planter.
Here is why I see us having a unique collection of 8 right now, and not 9 or 10: The 8 we have represent different manufacturers, and the "extra" Keystone would be redundant. And, all 8 are pre-checkrow, so the John Deere doesn't exactly fit. But, this is just best-guess.

Anything you all can tell me to help lessen my ignorance is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crop .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	314095   Click image for larger version

Name:	planter.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	314096   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_174802.jpg
Views:	21