Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

National tractor meet neat old steam tractor

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2975 times

Old 06-29-2010, 09:04:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,013 Times in 159 Posts
Default National tractor meet neat old steam tractor

this is a one nice home built tractor built from pics took 9 years and 20,000.00 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDq5X2kB9Hc
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 11:10:58 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: National tractor meet neat old steam tractor

Ron:

As most of the Stackers know that is the replica that Don Hunter built based upon # 111, the first Caterpillar sold by the Holt manufacturing company of Stockton, CA. Don started with a crankshaft from an old long ago dismantled Holt round wheel steamer that was found up on Round Mountain in NE California.

Ron is correct that Don has more than 20,000 hours and lots of $$ in the #111 and about 10 years of his life. What is simply the most amazing to me is that Don seriously started the project when he was 71 years young!! As I ask folks who are looking at #111 in awe is "what are you gong to accomplish in your retirement?"

Don is one of the most humble guys you will ever meet. I hope we have Don around for a long long time.

Tom
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,171 Times in 2,114 Posts

Tom,
With an original crankshaft, that sounds like a restoration rather than a replica?

It is stunning!
Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 12:48:45 AM
Subscriber

Gary:

I hope you can get down to CA sometime soon to operate #111. It will next be at Pioneer Day in Paso Robles on October 9th and I know it will go to Tulare, CA next April as Doug Peltzer has chosen Best, Holt and Cats as the featured tractors for the show next year. Now that you are retired, why don't you try to get down to one of the shows and I can make sure Don gets you up on the platform to operate # 111. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to drive # 111 in the Pioneer Day parade last year with my 90 year old mother who was celebrating her birthday that weekend. That is a memory I will take to my grave with me.

Don may have #111 at Cal Poly this fall and perhaps at Con Expo in Vegas next year--but I know that #111 is tucked away in the barn in Paso Robles awaiting Pioneer Day in October. It will be our 80th annual and the tractors featured in this years parade are 1931 and older. This parade will be over the top with the neat old tractors. I hope lots of Stakkers can attend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Madden For This Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 03:47:31 AM
Registered-III

This thing is incredible! I saw it in person for the first time at the National and was blown away! I was standing there staring at it like a slack jawed yokel holding my 3 yr old and a nice older gent started talking to my boy. He was trying to anyway and even asked my boy if he wanted to get up on the platform. Of course my boy was tired and being shy and wanted no part of it. I tried hard to get him to go up there (as Daddy wanted to!) but he wouldn't go for it. We watched as someone else came up and the older gent showed him how to run it and off they went. I must say it looks pretty easy to run.

My boy did get some time on a D7 pushing dirt around on Sunday morning. A better birthday present I can't imagine!

Tom,
Can you tell me the name of the owners of the D7? It was a lady that owned it and they were running around on the old Jeep with the tractor type tires on it. My wife was the one who talked to them (and rode with him on his ride) but doesn't remember their name. I was up the hill with our engine display.

I also want to thank you for all your work on the show. I am part of Br. 8 and we were glad to hear you were helping with the show. It was a great show.

Steve
Old 07-02-2010, 09:32:13 AM

Thanked 12,819 Times in 3,884 Posts

If you purchased one of the lovely E&E/SmokStak calendars, you'll see that this Holt is "Miss July."

Beth
Old 07-07-2010, 06:20:35 PM
Subscriber

Beth:

I bought 2 copies, one for Don Hunter and one for me. I have it hanging over my desk. Of course I am quite partial to the 3 Best 110's and the Holt # 111 as I am a Best and Holt collector, but I really enjoy all of the steam photos. Someday I am going to make it out to the NTA and look you guys up and admire your engines. Come to think of it, if there was ever a year for orphans and a $$ was allocated to shipping, I am sure I could convince Don Hunter to take his # 111 to the NTA. This would be a great opportunity for all of the steam loyalists in the midwest and east to experience an unbelievable piece of history. Don't wait too long, Don is almost 82 years young.

Steve, that was Pete Bloom of Bakersfield and his mom and daughters that own the 9G D7 and the jeep. You will not find a nicer family and they sure do love the old iron.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Madden For This Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45:02 PM

Thanked 12,819 Times in 3,884 Posts

Tom,

Do you think you could sneak a Gaar Scott, Tiger decal on it and see if it could sneak into the line up for the Gaar Scott feature in 2011!?

You'd really enjoy the show and all you can do with it!

Beth
Old 07-09-2010, 03:28:36 AM
Registered-III

Thanks for their name Tom. I'll have to get in touch with them and thank them myself. Mike McWilliams should be able to put me in contact with them. My boy is still talking about it!

Steve