Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Starter for TJD

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 269 times

Old 03-22-2019, 04:08:19 PM
Registered-I

Default Starter for TJD

I am trying to get a new starter for our Wisconsin TJD motor. I keep getting starters with the bendix already extended meanings it never retracts off the flywheel. They are not stuck it is the way its being manufactured. Already spring loaded out. My old original starter the bendix retracted and cleared the flywheel after starting. I have attached two pics one the old and the other the new starter. I am just trying to verify this is what we are getting now. Seems like it would bog the engine down as its constantly dragging the flywheel.

Starter that shows up on the TJD parts list is Prestolite MHA7021 or MHA6012. This is what I have been ordering. They bolt right in place and will start the engine.

The original starter had a metal band clamp that covered the brushes and contacts inside. New ones do not as well. If anyone has a different number to order please let me know. Again thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	331136   Click image for larger version

Name:	old.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	331137   Click image for larger version

Name:	new starter.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	331138  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2019, 04:49:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Starter for TJD

My book is showing a Prestolite MZ-4184 / MZ-4194 6 volt starters or MBG-4024 / MBG-4118 12 volt starters for the THD and TJD engines. I am fairly certain that Prestolite ceased production of these starters a long time ago. Perhaps some Chinese outfit has purchased the rights to build these starters. Your starter definitely does not look right to me. The nosecone and bendix are all wrong. What is wrong with your old starter motor?

Chris
Old 03-22-2019, 06:16:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,240 Times in 673 Posts

My TJD has a MBG 4140.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 07:22:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,692 Times in 2,520 Posts

I'm not versed on all the iterations of the Autolite or Prestolite starters.
But, some models require the engine to fire then the engine overdrives the starter to kick the gear out. See if you can turn it backwards and the gear retracts. if it does, mount it and put the juice to it for a test.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44:49 PM
Subscriber

Improved model , when the eng. starts the starter drive spins fast , a pin compresses a spring letting the gear go back in. If the eng. gave one put with the old type it would kick the gear out without starting. the one you have will stay engaged till it is running then spins in out of the way.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08:46 PM
Registered-I

Thank you all for the info. K-Tron I was able to go to my local ag parts dealer and they could order using the 12v part numbers you gave. Greatly appreciated.

I know how normal starters work that the starter gets energized and the bendix/drive extends out to drive the flywheel. Then when the engine starts it retracts back. I dont know about those being a better design. Looking at both new starters I could not pry the bendix back more than maybe an 1/8 of an inch so I dont see how it could retract. That includes trying to spin it back like one would think it would.

The old starter basically ate itself. As most know this starter has like a band around the brushes and moisture got in there and just locked the brushes down and at alot of the copper off the armeture (?) Was worried about arching so was trying to replace.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:36:43 PM
Registered-III

If you post the model of your starter I can give you the part numbers of the brushes, armature, springs, bendix, fields etc. These starters are pretty robust and seem to last forever as long as they are buttoned up. A good shop can turn the armature down, undercut the mica and install new brushes and bushings without too much trouble. In my experience, the insulation on the fields is usually the first to go in these old starters. I have re-wrapped fields, re-insulated old armatures and have machined the armatures on my lathe. They can almost be "fun" to work on once you figure them out.

Chris
Old 03-22-2019, 10:55:47 PM
Subscriber

You can't pry the gear back , when the eng. starts it will release the pin and the gear will spin back in . when the gear is in you can slowly turn it out and you will hear a click . the gear will not go back in till you put it on a eng. and start it. After you tear one apart you understand how it works. learned the hard way on a ford industrial eng. same drive.