Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units

Climax Bluestreak engines in Clearfield Utah

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1294 times

Old 11-05-2018, 05:33:24 PM
Registered-III

Default Climax Bluestreak engines in Clearfield Utah

There are two 4 cylinder Climax Bluestreak gasoline engines coming up for auction in Clearfield, Utah tomorrow. Someone needs to save these engines and pumps from the scrapman. I have personally never seen a 4 cylinder Climax before, but it looks just like a cut-down version of the larger 6 cylinder Climax R61's used in the Snogo's.

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2206622

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2018, 07:14:07 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Climax Bluestreak engines in Clearfield Utah

Whoever "bigtrucklover" is got one hell of a deal on those Climax engines. I hope his name indicates that he is a collector and not a scrapper. I would so love to hear those big brutes run again!

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 12:34:38 PM
Registered

Was doing research on my new toys and ran across your posts haha.
Its been a while since I've been on the site.
I just happened to browse the public surplus site for the first time in a year and saw these two and knew I needed to at least bid them above scrap price, and then I won!
I'd seen Climaxs' in SnoGos' and mining equipment, but like Chris said, they were all 6 cylinders.
These pumps we're apparently used for backup culinary Water Service and have been sitting unused in a climate-controlled pump house for at least 33 years since the fuel tank was pulled out in the late 80s. Unfortunately they didn't keep antifreeze in them and used water instead so there's a lot of corrosion build up internally but luckily they didn't freeze and I should be able to flush the system really good and get it out. They were moving them with a forklift and busted the base of the one radiator and caused it to tip into the fan so I'll have to repair the radiator and find a new fan blade but they'll be some fun putter projects nonetheless for the winter. The first challenge is to figure out how I'm going to get them off my trailer, even though they aren't the 6-cylinder models they're still beasts. Haha
I do like the dual distributor and Magneto ignition though.
Anyone interested in the pumps? They're Fairbanks Morse 10 inch Inlet 8 inch discharge. They'll probably need some TLC but they only have a couple hundred hours on them.
I'll try and get some good videos of them running and put on YouTube when I can.

Jay
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bigtrucklover For This Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45:47 PM
Registered

Got some time to play with the engines the last couple of days. Got the beasts unloaded into the barn and started assessing them. They are incredibly well engineered and overbuilt, the only Achilles heel I've found is the position of the exhaust manifold. Any water that makes it in the exhaust flows downhill into #4 exhaust valve. I decided to start with the one with the undamaged radiator for obvious reasons. I pulled the plugs and the cylinders were squeaky clean and nothing seemed to have been running richly. I sprayed some kroil in for good measure and turned my attention to freeing up the frozen shaft driven water pump. Raw water was used for cooling since they were in heated buildings and corrosion and rust buildup inside is pretty significant from sitting. The impeller shaft is pretty corroded and I'll have to replace it or sleeve it somehow down the road. After the pump was freed ant the engine was still stuck I decided to remove the manifolds and see how bad the valves were.
My most hated bird, the starling, apparently made nests in the exhaust and the moisture from their many dead bodies rusted up #4. So I'll clean it out thoroughly and soak it with krill and ATF for a couple days and see how things go.
Do you guys think I'll be able to reuse the manifold gaskets? They are the copper type.

Thanks,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0319191858a.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	331029   Click image for larger version

Name:	0319191858.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	331030  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigtrucklover For This Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 09:23:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,798 Times in 723 Posts

I'd smear a light coating of ultra-black silicone on the old ones and reuse them...intake and exhaust. It wouldn't shock me if you had to touch up the valves on #4....
Old 05-06-2019, 11:25:33 PM
Subscriber

Bump.
Any updates bigtruck?