Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Telsmith Jaw Crusher, Did I Break It Already

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 3802 times

Old 09-10-2013, 07:53:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,001 Times in 1,969 Posts
Default Telsmith Jaw Crusher, Did I Break It Already

Ok, maybe I've lost my mind, but I bought a big Telsmith 9 x 30 jaw crusher a few weeks ago, it arrived yesterday. Like any kid with a new toy I just had to play with it, but now I'm wondering if I broke it. After unloading it the wheels spun easily, so naturally I spun them up as fast as I could and tossed a fist sized chunk of concrete in, crunch crunch crunch and it was gone. Later when a friend showed up we both spun it up and tossed in a few larger chunks of concrete, again no problem. Then a little later I found a chunk of flint rock about 3" thick and 8" diameter, spun it up again and tossed it in, after the second crunch I could not keep the momentum of the wheels going and it stopped, with friends help we were able to spin the wheels and clear that rock. Now the wheels no longer spin freely, I can spin it over very slowly using all I've got, but something is dragging/binding. (no grinding noises though)

Went over it today and oiled up any potential points of drag, and greased outboard bearings, and pumped grease into 3 of the 4 zerks going to the toggle plate area, 4th zerk is clogged and needs replacement. None of this seemed to improve the dragging situation.

Any suggestions on what to look for?

Pic 1. Truck driver waiting for crane
Pic 2. A bad pic of me
Pic 3. Gravel, just the size I need
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crusher 1.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	174513   Click image for larger version

Name:	crusher 3.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	174514   Click image for larger version

Name:	crusher 5.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	174515  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39:27 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,325 Times in 2,969 Posts
Default Re: Telsmith Jaw Crusher, Did I Break It Already

I'll make a wild @ss guess and say that flint is probably pretty hard to crush. Is it possible that it shattered and some tiny pieces are between the jaw and housing?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,793 Posts

It may be that it needs a little more hp to turn it to clear out everything.
What a heavy looking thing!
Was that used in gold mineing or what?
I think there is a crusher down at the local mine-historic site but I dont know what size it is compared to this.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 11:03:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,600 Times in 733 Posts

I would suspect a shaft is bent and binding in the bearings/bushings. Probably not something you want to hear!

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Sherlock For This Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49:19 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock View Post
I would suspect a shaft is bent and binding in the bearings/bushings. Probably not something you want to hear!
Well aren't you just a bearer of good news. I've considered that possibility, and it may be a posssibility, I'd just sure hate to think 1 small rock killed it. Seller did have a little mishap in loading it, it resulted in one of the feet punching a hole in the trailer floor, trucker was not happy about that. There are no lifting eyes on this beast so seller slung chains around the mainshaft and loaded it like that, using an excavator as a crane. We unloaded it with a crane the same way, but it was a nice gentle lift and placement. But even after unloading I could spin the flywheels freely, and they would continue to spin for a few revolutions without any assistance.

The gap on 1 side of moveable jaw is pretty wide, maybe 1/2", other side is closer to 1/16" or less, but I think that is just because of the design of removeable jaw plate, main casting is well centered. I'll slide a piece of sheet metal in there tomorrow and make sure its clear.

I'm pretty clear on how the whole eccentric shaft part works, but I'm not real sure on how the toggle plate and the rod with the spring interact with the moveable jaw. After playing with/studying it this evening I have an idea, maybe the toggle plate/spring rod was stuck, and thats why it spun so easy, when I threw that rock in it somehow loosened those parts, so the resistance/drag I feel now is the compression of that big spring. So maybe I did not break it, I actually fixed it LOL.

Mainshaft has roller bearings, not bushings, looks like a royal PIA to replace them, its beyond my abilities.

This crusher came from a mine site in Montana, I have no idea what type of mine. Weight is 9000 Lbs, I figured this was about the smallest crusher I could reasonably move on a trailer with my truck(just around the property), and feed with an excavator, anything smaller and I'd be hand feeding it, and I've got acreage to cover in gravel.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,775 Posts

I agree with Bill.
Flint is hard stuff - don't think supposed to go in crusher.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04:35 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

Girl:

I'll go with the freed-up spring theory.

Go ahead and run it. What'cha got to lose. If it doesn't make any really painful sounds after running free, you're probably good to go. I'd think the makers of crushers would take into account the occasional rock with an attitude.

BTW, what do you plan on powering it with?
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44:27 AM
Subscriber

When I was five years old we moved to an overgrown farm with no driveway. After getting the fields cleared my father and I graded a driveway with our Case L, driven by me, and a two handled scoop. H then bought a old rock crusher that had been mounted on an old set of threshing machine trucks. It had a wooden platform mounted on top around the jaw opening. We would park the machine in the driveway and belt the Case to it for power. The fence rows were full of rock piles carried off of the fields over the years. We would throw rocks on an old flatbread pickup, haul them to the crusher and crush them. When we had a pile we would move the rig up the road a few feet and crush some more.
Crushers of this nature tend to shake as they run. Of course whoever was on the platform had to shake with it. Being small I could stand it better than older people so I did a lot of the feeding. Most of our rocks were soft sedimentary rocks which fell to pieces with a few chomps of the crusher. A small percentage were flints, usually rounded on polished by glaciers. You learned to turn away when you dropped them in as pieces would often fly back out along with a lot of sparks. There would be loud cracking noises, and the tractor governor would open so the exhaust barked. But there was never a rock that it would not crush, nor any damage to the crusher. After a lot of work we had a base for the driveway, ~0.4mi., and had got rid of a lot of rock piles.
Bottom line rock crushers are designed to deal with any rock that will go into them. The allowable feed rate will be a function of the power available. They also are designed with a weak link designed to break before expensive damage is done. We never broke one. Have fun.
Jack Hottel
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Hottel For This Post:
Old 09-11-2013, 12:49:05 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
Ok, maybe I've lost my mind, but I bought a big Telsmith 9 x 30 jaw crusher a few weeks ago, it arrived yesterday. Like any kid with a new toy I just had to play with it, but now I'm wondering if I broke it...Then a little later I found a chunk of flint rock about 3" thick and 8" diameter, spun it up again and tossed it in, after the second crunch I could not keep the momentum of the wheels going and it stopped...
At our local Fall display, we crush a few trailer loads of field stone which contains a lot of chert nodules (Pennsylvania flint). It's a smaller New Holland crusher powered by a 5hp New Holland. The chert nodules are often easier to crush than the limestone. Just for kicks, I carry a fire steel and some char cloth with me to demonstrate fire-starting using pieces of chert from the crusher. I can't imagine damaging your new toy with a piece of any rock you throw into it. Big chunks of metal might be different story, but not rocks.

Kirk
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 09-11-2013, 02:11:08 PM
Registered-III

That rock crusher probably has had a boat load of rock (harder than what you threw in) through it. If you are turning it by hand you can't put enough oomph into it to do much else than crush soft concrete. I'd belt it up to a nice hi torque power source (G, JD or H, IH) and retry it with a bunch of rock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest A For This Post:
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29:16 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
BTW, what do you plan on powering it with?
I'm not sure yet, according to Telsmith it only needs 25hp to run it, but I'm not sure if thats electric or diesel, and I seem to remember that electric hp and diesel hp is not the same animal. I'm keeping a lookout for a skid mounted 50-75hp diesel with a pto clutch.

I have an old military surplus semi-trailer mounted machine shop, the plan is in the next few months (after it cools off) to drag it up to the front of the property and pull the Hobart welder/generator off the front, then cut the top off so I can pull the lathe out of it. Then use the trailer frame for the crusher.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,391 Times in 944 Posts

I agree with Forest. Just need to power it up. Looks like your already making money, looks like it spitting out quarters. Just to the right of that appears to be a broken thunder egg. Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to BobRR For This Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10:42 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRR View Post
Looks like your already making money, looks like it spitting out quarters.
I was wondering if anyone would spot that, tossed it in for some scale. Sure would be nice if this thing spit out quarters with every revolution, like a big industrial slot machine, lol.

Contacted the Telsmith rep yesterday, sounds like a very helpful company. They are going to try to dig up original drawings and owners/service manual, they even have engineers that will advise me on mounting and powering this unit. According to the rep, if you own one of their machines, you are family and they are there to help, that is an attitude a lot of companies lack.

Last edited by dalmatiangirl61; 09-12-2013 at 05:53:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:24:26 PM
Registered-III

If that's a thunder egg they are worth something, too. Bob

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Old Fairbanks would look and sound good running it. Bob
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38:41 AM
Subscriber

I think what you are calling a thunder egg, is part of that "flint" rock I mentioned, or more specifically chert. If there is a market for chert let me know, I'll quit throwing them in the crusher

An old Fairbanks would look good with this thing, but if it weighs just as much as the crusher that might defeat my goal of making it portable.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:51:31 PM
Registered-III

Thunder eggs are ether a geode or full of agate. I guess since chert is flint you could make arrow heads? Bob
Old 04-04-2019, 06:35:34 PM
Registered-III

Well, did you break it or not???
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57:50 PM
Subscriber

I don't really know yet, it started collecting heavy iron around it so nothing could get belted to it. I spin it over a few times a year and shoot fresh grease in bearings to keep it lubed, but its hard to get the younger generation to crank by hand while I toss rocks in. I've been clearing junk away from it this year.

The only thing left in the military machine shop trailer is the welder/generator, it needs to be slid out and only thing I have to do that with is the loader, but that means letting it hit the ground (5-6ft drop) which would most likely mean scrap it. Once that is out of way I can cut the bolts hold enclosure and shove it off the side with loader, that would leave a nice HD trailer to mount crusher to.

Came to the realization a couple years ago that I cannot live in 2 places and get anything done, so last year sent shop equipment to Nv (and started collecting real rent on whse), back in Tx now doing my best to give stuff a last chance to find a home, or scrapping it.

Last edited by dalmatiangirl61; 04-04-2019 at 09:19:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 11:16:32 PM
Registered-III

Appreciate the update- I just happened to think of this project as I was thinking how I could use a rock crusher around here. Even though it would never "pay for itself", I would get great satisfaction from making useful rock out of nuisance rock. Perhaps I will find a small one someday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post: