Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 4304 replies and has been viewed 287199 times

Old 08-18-2015, 07:57:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,550 Times in 911 Posts
Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Load tested my DKC 4.0 for an hour today. Burned through 1.35L of fuel with 2800W of load , most I could get with this wiring configuration. Held rock solid at 58.6 Hz , temps held good and no leaks. I am trying to decide which of my 3 Kubota powered gens to keep, this one , my DKD 7.5 or my 7.0Kw mystery Kubota/Lima marine gen. I did a test a few years ago of my household loads during an outage and found that 3 kw would be enough to satisfy our needs, so any of the three should be enough. Cheers Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 09:13:10 PM
Kpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockChev View Post
Load tested my DKC 4.0 for an hour today. Burned through 1.35L of fuel with 2800W of load , most I could get with this wiring configuration. Held rock solid at 58.6 Hz , temps held good and no leaks. I am trying to decide which of my 3 Kubota powered gens to keep, this one , my DKD 7.5 or my 7.0Kw mystery Kubota/Lima marine gen. I did a test a few years ago of my household loads during an outage and found that 3 kw would be enough to satisfy our needs, so any of the three should be enough. Cheers Dan
I'm glad you have to make that choice I wouldn't want to make it they all sound good to me.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:32:27 AM
Subscriber

I've got a 7.5KW Kubota diesel that sips fuel. My family sure likes it when we can run the water heater OR the microwave oven OR the stove during an outage. I've even done laundry. Just not all at once.

I fire up the JC when I want to do it all.

I do sometime run the MDJA for overnights, but just leaving the Kubota on is tempting...
Old 08-19-2015, 12:11:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,951 Times in 4,333 Posts

I think diesels burn almost nothing at no-load. On gasoline no-load usage is a big waste and killer on the wallet, like for overnight usage. It really surprised me when someone posted how little a MUCH larger HUGE diesel burned at no-load.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:28:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,325 Posts

Depends by what you mean by "almost nothing". I'm attaching some measured data that shows no-load consumption for a big Kubota tractor is about 30% of full load. With gas engines I've seen the no-load consumption isn't that much worse - maybe more like 40-50%.

Anyone got links to actual measured data? (Rules of thumb starting to tick me off...)

[rant off]

Something to keep in mind with a genset is that even with no electrical load on the generator, the engine still has significant load - it's driving the generator cooling fan, the engine cooling fan, possibly a water pump, and most of all, the generator excitation power still needs to be developed (and subsequently wasted in the generator itself.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	232405  
Old 08-19-2015, 12:50:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,459 Posts

This morning the power went out at the house. First thought was my JC . Since the weather is very nice (not freezing or 100000 degree F - actually 78 degrees outside) I did not hurry to go drag the 700 lbs beast from storage. Within 5 minutes the grid power came back on. I spent the next 15 minutes resetting all the f*&ck'en digital clocks

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 08-19-2015, 01:02:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,951 Times in 4,333 Posts

About a month or 2 ago someone posted with a ~ 100kw diesel. I extrapolated for size from 15 kw JC gasoline consumption of 1 gal/hr non-load and estimated it might burn ~ 6 gal/hr non-load if it were gasoline engine. Think they said it burned something like ~ 1/2 gal/hr. Made me very impressed with a diesel.... once you get it started in winter.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14:05 PM
Registered

Not today, but yesterday I pulled the blower housing and flywheel off the old 305CCK and took some pictures and labeled them of the strange magneto ignition system on these for another member on here. After that, and measuring some resistance and stator output with the plugs removed, I put it back together and started it, back where it used to be, fired on the first pull.
The Following User Says Thank You to 85lebaront2 For This Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 01:49:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,550 Times in 911 Posts

In order to be accurate I weigh the quantity of fuel used on my Safeway digital food scale like they have at the deli ( accurate to +-5 grams and formerly legal for trade) and use use the Killawat meter to check volts, amps, and watts to crosscheck. I also check that against my multimeter periodically. I realize that in many cases it is not going to be possible to do this. I am going to try to build up a database of fuel/watthours with different machines. In order to do this I am trying to use the same methodology for each test to give valid results 1 hour test , weigh fuel before and after, crosscheck against reasonably accurate electrical readings. Cheers Dan

The figure that we used for our large hospital gensets 500Kw -1.3Mw was 6 gals per hour per 100Kw of actual load. We had to calculate the available runtime based on the amount of fuel storage we had for Post disaster purposes and refueling requirements during long shutdowns. We did not have consumption figures for no load since we would never run that way for any lenght of time. For the most part this was accurate enough for our purposes but did not exactly reflect the specific consumption of different size or make of units. We had a variety of Cummins, Cat, Detroit, and MTU, and even an old Dorman generators in 12Kv, 4160V, and 600V.

Last edited by BigBlockChev; 08-19-2015 at 02:02:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlockChev For This Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 08:33:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
About a month or 2 ago someone posted with a ~ 100kw diesel. I extrapolated for size from 15 kw JC gasoline consumption of 1 gal/hr non-load and estimated it might burn ~ 6 gal/hr non-load if it were gasoline engine. Think they said it burned something like ~ 1/2 gal/hr. Made me very impressed with a diesel.... once you get it started in winter.
Huh? Are you saying you believe that an unloaded 100 kW Diesel set uses 1/2 GPH? THAT seems to good to be true...

Heck - My MEP-004 uses close to that unloaded, and it's basically a 20 kW set.