Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

New Way buzz coil

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 358 times

Old 02-02-2019, 08:52:35 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,759 Times in 243 Posts
Default New Way buzz coil

I visited a friend today who has a New Way buzz coil that I have read was made by National. It has 4 terminals on it and the schematic in the New Way manual appears to show the extra terminal with an external jumper wire going to the normal ground terminal. Does anyone know why they made it with the 4th terminal? Bill Klein
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2019, 09:12:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: New Way buzz coil

In the New Way twin 7 hp manual I have, it states and shows you how to hook up the 108deg opposed twins off those two terminals. They did however make a twin point coil as well for these engines. By the way I have hooked my twin up to the 2 spark terminals on a New Way single point coil and it does work. I have seen single point NW coils with a short wire from this"spare" terminal to another on coil, when only single spark is needed- Hope this helps-Cheers-Neil.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24:41 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,759 Times in 243 Posts

Thank you Neil. He is connecting it to a single cylinder engine. It never occurred to me that the coil was made to accommodate a twin! Bill Klein
Old 02-05-2019, 06:48:46 PM
Subscriber

I always wondered why they would make a double coil as well if the single coil would power a twin. Only thing I can think of is less wear and tear on points on double coil = more reliability. When I get around to it, I'll put the single coil on and take a video of it running, If I can work out how to post it! Cheers-neil.