Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Information on Compression Fittings

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1759 times

Old 03-27-2011, 02:31:26 AM
Registered

Default Information on Compression Fittings

I am in the final stages of assembling my 11/2 type M Macormick engine aqnd ran across a problem with compression nuts. I expect that someone out there has the answer I need. The origional brass fuel lines had a couple of cracked compression nuts and after trying to use new ones, I discovered that the old 3/8 fittings were.525 O.D. and the new ones were .560 . The difference of .035 woun't allow tightning the nut enough to seat the seal ring. Is there some place you can buy the old size 3/8 comp. nuts or do you have to use the new type fittings? I would like to keep everything origional if possible. I had great info provided on my last problem and am sure I will this time to.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 06:28:27 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Information on compression fittings

I ran into the same thing awhile ago.
Found that some of the new stuff is not SAE but METRIC.
The other thing that I found out was that the comp, fittings for plastic air lines with the inside spade removed are a different size also.
I just hunted till I found some the size I needed at a local hardware store.

PS:NAPA fittings were the ones found to be METRIC.
Hope this helps a little.

Just went out to the shop and measured some of the fittings I have in stock.
I am sure you have the fittings for the plastic air lines with the spade removed as these measured close to the same as your new ones .559 metric measured .535 but threads are different.

Last edited by Dale Barnett; 03-27-2011 at 06:38:52 AM. Reason: added info.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:24:18 AM
Sponsor

My lack of computer skills sent my ansewer to a different thread. Check the above thread - Brass Fittings. John
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43:17 AM
Subscriber

There are two different types of compression fittings used today... The type for plastic (synflex) lines used on the air systems of trucks and the type that are commonly used in plumbing that are found in hardware stores. They look a lot alike, but are a little different in size and use different ferrles,the type for truck air lines will be marked either airbrake or DOT.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10:35 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Neidig View Post
There are two different types of compression fittings used today... The type for plastic (synflex) lines used on the air systems of trucks and the type that are commonly used in plumbing that are found in hardware stores. They look a lot alike, but are a little different in size and use different ferrles,the type for truck air lines will be marked either airbrake or DOT.
I have many of the plastic (synflex) (thank you I could not for the life of me remember the right name) in 5 diff, sizes and not 1 has anything or any kind of mark on it and they all came from a Peterbuilt dealer.
Not arguing just stating.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28:18 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Information on Compression Fittings

If they are not marked DOT or airbrake they ARE not to be used on a truck's air system, just because they came from a truck dealer doesn't mean that they are for air brake use.