Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Motorcycles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Motorcycles All about finding and fixing old motorcycle engines and vintage bikes.

Antique Motorcycles

Our Sidecar with Trailer Combo

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 365 times

Old 07-01-2019, 03:47:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,426 Times in 402 Posts
Default Our Sidecar with Trailer Combo

we recently picked up a sidecar and a trailer for our 56 bmw r50. was a good find, and pretty close, only 3 miles from my house. caught wind there was a sidecar down the road sitting behind a guys house and went over his place and did some down east dickering with the fingers crossed. after the handshake, I look over in his garden area and see his wife picking weeds and placing them in what looked like a motorcycle trailer hooked to the lawn mower! Low and behold with some hi stepping, went right over there and struck a deal with her as well for the trailer! had to convince her bad year for the garden! LOL. What a day! brought it back to the garage and we spent a few evenings to get it mounted/balanced to our bmw. we have a little 1hp hit miss im gonna try to load in the trailer for some local engine shows for now. but I will definetly make some solo future camping trips for sure! few pics to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	559.4 KB
ID:	338331   Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	338332  
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Firewoodguy For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2019, 04:57:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,028 Times in 1,084 Posts
Default Re: our sidecar with trailer combo

Hello all
What a fantastic combo and what a great story.
You have to take some pictures of the whole unit loaded up with a little engine and off to a rally. Fantastic!!!

Last century I wanted to travel around our great country (another story as to why) and I wanted to travel by motorcycle. I had no time restraints and could do pretty well as I pleased. I didn't even know which way I was going and I literally got to the end of my street and tossed a coin. Heads-North, tails South. Tails it was for the first trip.
One problem I thought of travelling was clothing. How do I carry clothing for our summers and our winters? Also food, shelter, fuel, spares and fishing rod needed addressing. My solution was a trailer behind the bike......so I made one. Fully enclosed 5x3 fibreglass tub with independent suspension.

It was no effort for the bike to haul and it made the journey so much easier and stress free.

The first trip was 14,500kms. Many more were made where I've met some great people and seen some amasing sights.

Cheers Scott
PS: it just dawned on me. The old K100 is a classic now. It wasn't when that picture was taken

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,426 Times in 402 Posts
Default Re: Our Sidecar with Trailer Combo

Scotty, thats a nice rig u traveled with! I sure will get some pics when I'm loaded. 🙂
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firewoodguy For This Post: