Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

American Hoist and Derrick Portable Engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2035 times

Old 09-29-2012, 10:28:42 AM
Subscriber

Default American Hoist and Derrick Portable Engine

Does anyone know about a portable steam engine that was produced by American Hoist and derrick of St. Paul, MN? Yesterday I was driving and saw a engine sitting in a yard that was marked American Hoist and derrick on the cylinder and had a chicken cast in the smoke box door (kinda like american able. Is there any connection?). It was a horizontal boiler and the engine sat on top like most portables that you see. The owner was not home so I just did a quick drive by and did not get any pictures because I did not want to cause any trouble. I did some internet searching and could find nothing like it. There are no wenches on the machine like most that I see pictures of on the net.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 01:37:51 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: American Hoist and Dereick Portable engine

Was this a single cylinder unit, or a double. My road locomotive has a double American Hoist & Derrick engine, 4 3/4 x 6, it was a hoisting engine in a previous life. I have seem AH&D doubles up to 10x12.
Need to see some pictures
The Following User Says Thank You to HHall For This Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 03:36:14 PM
Subscriber

It was a single cylinder
Old 09-29-2012, 04:08:36 PM
survivingworldsteam

Like the name implied, AH&D built mostly winch engines; they were usually two cylinder engines on each side of a winding drum with a vertical boiler to supply steam. If you look for pictures of "donkey engines" on the web, they looked like one of these; while many were skid mounted, I found one example mounted on wheels, and there were marine installations as well.

My guess is that you found a homemade mashup of one side of a hoisting engine setup mounted to a portable boiler.

-James
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52:35 PM
Subscriber

That could be but it sure looked factory. I will see if I can stop again and get some pictures. Thanks for all the info so far.