Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

International Derrick and Equipment Co.

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2972 times

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25:15 PM
Registered

Default International Derrick and Equipment Co.

What can anyone tell me about this company. I acquired a big cable guide pulley that is Labeled Columbus Ohio. I also got a very early drill bit style piece of equipment. It is about 8 feet or so long. It has 2 u channel type of metel going down each side to form a 4x4 inche square shape. In the middle you can see an auger with an aggressive thread that goes and comes out of one end through a threaded nut with two one foot handles on each side so that someone could grabe ahold of them. The end is just flat and about a 4-6 inche circular foot. I was hopeing someone could help me out and give me some information about it, what it might be worth, or what it was used on? My best bet is an older gas or oil well rig. Hopefully someone will have some info. Thanks, Nicholas
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16:46 PM
Registered

Default Re: International Derrick and Equipment Co.

International Derrick & Equipment Co. was also known as "IDECO". They made a lot of drilling and production equipment for several decades. The thing with the long screw and short handles is probably a temper screw. (a picture would confirm this) The temper screw was hung on the working end of the walking beam on a "standard derrick" cable tool rig. It was used to let down the string of tools as the well was drilled to keep the optimum drilling action going as hole was made. The temper screw had a large clamp at the lower end that held the drilling line which suspended the drill string in the hole. When the screw could not let the tools go any deeper, the drilling line was secured, the screw was run back to the top of its travel, more drilling line was reeled off the bullwheels, and the procedure was continued.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:52:06 PM
Registered

Google: www.1911encyclopedia.org/Petroleum The portion of the article dealing with extraction/production discusses cable tool drilling in some detail. Unfortunately, there are no illustrations. Somewhere on the internet there are bound to be some pictures and working diagrams of a cable tool outfit. The Library of Congress probably has some that may be available online. There are a number of good pictures and diagrams of geared and bandwheel central powers available online from the Library of Congress.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:47:45 AM
Registered

Click image for larger version

Name:	0118081605b.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	28373

Name:	0118081605a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	28374

Name:	0118081605.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	28375

Name:	0118081608b.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	28376

These are a few pictures of what it is. I have more
Old 01-19-2008, 09:49:54 AM
Registered

Name:	0118081606.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	28377

Name:	0118081608.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	28378

Name:	0118081606a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	28379

Name:	0118081608a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	28380

Here Are the Rest
Old 01-19-2008, 10:34:58 AM
Registered

That is definitely a temper screw. It is probably around 100 yrs. old. The heavy T-shaped end is the top, and it sat atop the forked end of the wooden walking beam directly over the well bore. The other end with the "handles" would have been right over the well head. The notched plate just under the handles is where the bails went that held the drilling line clamp. The bails and clamp are probably laying around there somewhere. It looks like there are other interesting items scattered around. I haven't seen a pulley just like that one in the picture, but I suspect that it is a "rag line" pulley. It might have been used with a hemp drilling line, or "rag line". If that's the case, it probably was used in the crown block atop the wooden derrick. I have a "rag line" clamp that goes with a temper screw. The rag line was a 2" or so hemp rope. Wire line replaced the rag lines around 1900.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:18:39 PM
Registered

Ok Thanks, I was doing some research and the actual rig part that was were I had got the screw resembles the pictures of the Corbett Drilling Rig put out by Oil Well Supply Co. I was also wondering if you may know how much it might be worth?

http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilH...e/corbett.html

The first picture on the above link very closely resembles the rig where I aquired the Temper Screw from.

Nicholas
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01:03 AM
Registered

The Corbet portable rig picture shows a temper screw with an eye at the top connected to the drilling line. The temper screw you have, with the T-style top, was probably intended for use on "standard derrick" rig. What is is worth? I don't know. I certainly wouldn't junk it. It's a rare item, and very old, and it is probably in working order or close to it. I would like to own the pulley to go with the ragline clamp I already have. People have restored a few old portable drilling rigs, so there may be interest in any of the items from the site. There may be engine parts there as well. There are classified ad boards on this site, and if you want to sell the items, that is a good place to advertise them. Pictures sell.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:18:35 PM
Registered

Yes I know about selling stuff. I have sold many things on here, it is a great site. I am looking at selling the pulley to. You are pretty far away, but if you ever come up around PA. I would be willing to part with it. It does have a break on the back side. Its not to big, or bad, but it is a break on the outer edge. Again, I dont know what this would be worth either though.

Nicholas