Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Repouring crosshead babbitts?

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 2908 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2017, 12:54:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,144 Times in 333 Posts
Default Re: Repouring crosshead babbitts?

I have poured the Rod bearing both ways. We have shafts made up for several different size cranks with collars that you can push up to the rod bearing and a set screw to hold it in place. That way you can pour it on the work bench. In your case I would melt the babbitt out of both halves. Repair the one half, make two 1/4" shims out of wood , brass, belting , copper Etc. and bolt it back up to the crank . Getting it centered on the throw is the tricky part and held in place. For the damming part I use rawhide boot laces and wrap them around the bearing and crank at the gap then put damtite clay over that, Almost forgot blacken the throw with a torch so the Babbitt wont stick to it. Grease on the throw melts and runs to the bottom and makes you pour look bad. My Grand Dad showed me that. Heat everything up good make sure to get the moisture out of the crank throw and the bearing. Very important. You can pour down through the oil hole where the licker bolts on. Another thing a good way to tell if your babbitt is ready to pour. Stick a pine stir stick in the Babbitt count to 5 and pull it out if it turns caramel color it's ready.