Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

What happened exactly to this tire?

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 1362 times

Old 09-17-2017, 10:14:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,816 Posts
Default Re: What happened exactly to this tire?

I've been using these for 30+ years.
http://www.techtirerepairs.com/produ...its/249ul.html
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2017, 10:24:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Castagnos View Post
Google Plug Patch. This is what we use, recommend by tire mfgs. It's a patch with a plug in the center, must be installed from the inside, plug pulled through to the outside. The plug fills the hole and helps keep rocks and water out, the patch seals the hole, keeps air in. The first thing that should be done when patching is to use a liquid buffer-cleaning fluid and a scraper to clean the silicone release agent from the inside. If the tire is buffed before this is done the silicone will be buffed into the rubber and the patch won't stick.
I remember seeing the "Speedy Plug" brand of those at the Dot shops. They used them on our tires if it was just a nail hole.
The state got what they always thought was a good deal on Goodyear Wranglers. 20,000 miles tops on vehicle I was driving.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:45:32 PM
Registered-III

I have done about everything wrong with tires.

I buy used tires cause they are like 1/5th the cost of new.

I had to plug a tire myself because a tire shop told me it would cost 75 bucks to fix my flat and take 4 hours. They wanted time and materials. I found out you do not do it on a flat tire, it needs some air to get the plug in right. I drove that tire until it wore out.

I do not look at dates. Had a major name tire store tell me they would not put air in a flat spare on a trailer because it was out of date. Told them to shove it and drove a few blocks with one flat out of 4 to get air. Far as I know that tire is still on the trailer.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:56:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,305 Posts

Well I keep the local tire shop employees supplied with Ghost peppers and carolina reapers when i have them so when they see me coming they run out to see what i need done. 1 of them just said, "old tire". and that was the response I got when I ask what happened.
40 bucks for a used spare tire and to get my 2 tires mounted and balanced. Yep.I balance trailer tires so I don't have the vibration and the wear and tear on the bearings.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22:52 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,528 Posts

Several things come to mind. Tires over 5 years old, insufficient pressure, wrong speed rating, and mis matched sizes/brands.

I had a tire delaminate on my trailer last year. pressure good, tire about 8 years old. Entire tread came off, nearly ripped the fender off with it. No slapping, just BOOM, and it was off and gone. The tire stayed on rim and did not deflate. I was on my way home from Jacktown, On I-80, and the tire came apart on the Hackettstown hill, about 30 miles from home. After pulling what was left of the trailer fender off the tire, I drove home, keeping under 40 MPH. I didn't have a spare. Drove home on the steel belts, then another 20 miles to my sons shop, to get a new pair of tires. The other tire still looked good, but I pulled it off anyways. The tire never did go flat!

I was told that true trailer tires have a better sidewall design than auto tires, and need more pressure to take the loading required. Most auto tires only take about 30 to 36 PSI - which makes the sidewalls flex and build heat. My trailer tires take 45 PSI, and are 8 ply rated.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:31:15 PM
Registered-III

People keep saying old tires.

I do not recall anyone saying over loaded.

Does not have to be at the time it happened.

Yes ST rated tires have stiffer sidewalls. Can not say why. LT tires work fine on trailers with wheels to fit them.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:10:54 PM
Registered-II

"I'll never go back to that store again!"

Yeah, but those guys probably will be fired from the shop, so when you go to the next place, you'll see them there instead!

My 1989 Mazda truck has three of the four tires date coded 1989. A bit checked, but seem to be fine. I do limit my speed to 55 - 60 mph however.

I have found that the newer the tire, the shorter the lifespan. On my 1964 Ford I have all bias plies, including, gasp, retreads on the back. Our climate here is cooler and wetter than most however, which I think greatly helps rubber life.

I have had three tire failures on cars over the years - all on radials, and newer ones at that. None was dramatic, the cars just pulled hard to one side so I pulled over. Probably the reason trailer tires fail so dramatically is because it's harder for the driver to feel when the tire starts to fail.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:42:50 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,528 Posts

The tire compounds in todays tires is way different than those made years ago. yeah, they fail more quickly, after all the tire companies want to sell tires!
Old 09-18-2017, 02:43:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,816 Posts

I bought two Carlisle ST rated tires for the trailer. Sorry to say Chin made. $73 each mounted and balanced by my local tire guy.

*FYI Most Goodyear trailer tires were made in Chin but due to bad reputation they brought production back to the states last year. $140 each for them.