Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Got FI problems with my Chevy go getter

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 4004 times

Old 08-07-2015, 08:45:33 PM
Registered

Default Re: Got FI problems with my Chevy go getter

Hello those have a problem of carbon collecting in the EGR solenoid valve holding open making a vacuum leak and high idle f they stick open ll do whats happening noticeable at idle when it should be closed engine before reinstalling to blow out loose carbon they make a gasket with a screen to prevent future problems if it does it again
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan A S For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2015, 10:28:39 AM
Registered-III

I am still working on it, Pintle seems to be in spec, the thing I don't get is when you start it and the butterfly is completely closed and stays so with the cable off, why is the tips putting out a huge amount of fuel? I am starting to wonder if it is a computer problem because it almost has to be electric to blow all that fuel through don't it? I am seriously thinking of making an adapter plate for a carb right now.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:15:08 PM
Registered

Under the dash board there is an obd1 connector with nothing plugged into it. there are 2 rows of terminals. on the top row on the right is terminal "a". terminal "b" is the second one in from the right. terminal diagram labeling is like this from left to right.
top row,"F", "E", "blank","C","B","A"
bottom row "G","H", "blank","blank","blank","blank"
take a small piece of wire and jump terminal "A" and "B". i found an unfolded paper clip works well. with the terminals jumped, turn the key to the on position.(DO NOT START ENGINE) with the key on, the service engine light will start flashing codes. count the flashes. it will repeat each code 3 times before moving on to the next code. your first and last code will be a code 12. that is just the test code. it lets you know you did it right. you will see 1 flash with a short pause then 2 flashes. after you see that 3 times, your next code will be your trouble codes. when you see code "12" again, there are no more. Once you have the code number you can look it up to see what it is. I can look them up for you monday once im back at work.

I would really be leaning towards a large vacuum leak or something you have done when rebuilding the throttle body considering this problem didn't exist until than maybe pull it back apart and double check everything you did and pay close attention to your gaskets making sure there right. Hope this helps! Kevin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevinp86 For This Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 02:59:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,161 Posts

A piece of carbon holding the EGR valve open slightly would cause that problem. I have also found where a backfire broke out a chunk of the EGR gasket and caused that. The computer is going to maintain a 14.7:1 fuel to air ratio. if it's getting a bunch of air it's going to dump in a bunch of fuel to maintain the correct stoichiometry.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 03:18:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,294 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery22x36 View Post
I am still working on it, Pintle seems to be in spec, the thing I don't get is when you start it and the butterfly is completely closed and stays so with the cable off, why is the tips putting out a huge amount of fuel? I am starting to wonder if it is a computer problem because it almost has to be electric to blow all that fuel through don't it? I am seriously thinking of making an adapter plate for a carb right now.
More fuel make it run rough and start to make black smoke out the pipe, NOT faster. HAS to be getting more air to burn that fuel, then it runs faster.

Having him flash the engine codes won't do much if there isn't a check engine light on. is it on? lol

Probably 95% of all computers in these cars are replaced have NO problem. That is the most reliable part of the whole system, honestly.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 05:33:16 PM
Registered-III

OK, this is what I did, I took the unit back off, made sure everything was right on it. I plugged the brake booster vacume line, I plugged all other lines on the TBI so the only air it could get was through the idle air motor and it is just barely under 1 1/8 out, both the new and old one. My assumption is that for some reason it is not getting the signal to close? It sounds good, reminds me of a big out engine when you stomp it and hear the air rushing in. I made a circle around the driveway, a fast one, I wouldn't do it if it had an auto, its that fast. Its frustrating because everything else is working good but the idle, I guess I will try to figure out the codes next. Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 12:11:55 PM
Registered-III

I am about to go find a code reader, however, I unscrewed the air motor and had the key turned on while in my hand, it just kind of jumped and did not extend or retract it any noticable amount. With the TBI off and screwed in looking at the bottom, it lacks 3/16 of sealing so without moving out its not going to, I think that is my problem, now just why isn't it moving, or the other one moving, can't have two bad ones? I wouldn't think so anyway?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:43:08 PM
Registered-III

I got a code reader called "Auto X-Ray", I had to use a special cable to hook up, give the Vin number and all the usual and it ran a scan and said it was operating normal. Hmm. Now What?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:11:43 PM
Subscriber

With A and b jumpered in the ALDL and the key on, you should get a bright-dim test light on 2 terminals of the IAC connector and the other two should be on-off. That is the test for the computer to be able to control it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Tallman For This Post:
Old 08-15-2015, 11:41:17 AM
Registered-III

All the terminals are dim all the time, no matter if it is jumped or not? Thanks