Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

I need some Chevy help again. My trailer hauler is broke

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 2840 times

Old 11-07-2015, 11:05:15 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: I need some Chevy help again. My trailer hauler is broke

As mentioned the under hood fuse block(ubec) is bad about getting mice under the cover and the mouse piss causes all kinds of issues or the chew wires right under it.
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Wade7 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2015, 08:54:09 AM
Registered-III

buy a dodge
Old 11-08-2015, 11:11:16 AM
Registered-III

I ran a second ground from the head just incase the one on the back wasn't good although I couldn't find anything wrong with it. The check engine light is always on and has thrown a P0030 code as long as I have had it and the last owner said it did also for a year or two. I am going to go switch relays around, I have really looked hard for more wire damage and not found any. I am just about down to the driving the 74 if this keeps up!

Neumann, if you need any parts for your Dodge, I got a box someplace full of broken knobs, door handles and other cab parts.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Should all three of the bolts-studs, along the top edge of the under hood fuse box be hot when the key is on? I got two of them hot and the one that is not does not make continuity as a ground?

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Did Chevy still use fuseable links in 2006? That and the one lug in the fuse box that is dead are my big suspects other than the security system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Avery22x36 For This Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 01:46:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,163 Times in 973 Posts

Security isn't supposed to kill a running engine, just prevent starting. At one time you could start a GM vehicle, disable security, start with a regular key as long as you didn't clear codes. This was to allow a defective security system to continue operating until repaired, this may have changed on the newer vehicles, I haven't tried it. The stud with no power is probably for trailer connector, you have to install a fuse to make it hot, won't cause a no start. If you have a security problem you should see a ligt flashing on the dash.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 01:51:06 PM
Registered-III

Its got the trailer package and the light connector plug back there unless this was for the manual brake activator that I tied on in a different place? The only other odd thing is the blue connector to the computer up by the power steering pump had some moisture in it. I blew it out lightly and sprayed with points cleaner and is drying under a fan now.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:56:08 PM
Registered-III

Looked it up, it's the ignition 1 relay I was thinking about, supplies power to injector 1&2 fuses, ecm1 fuse, and others.
If the injector fuses have power the relay is OK, test it while cranking to be sure it's OK with a load on it. Probe the fuse with a test light while the engine is cranked.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:32:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,029 Times in 477 Posts

I have a Dodge van and have has problems two times. The engine would die and not start for an hour or two , then it would run fine , until the next time. The first time it was the fuel pump. I had it towed to my mechanic and he found it. The second time it would die then run fine. It was the spark coil. A friend told me to test it with an ohm meter. The high voltage lead should test about 8000 ohms mine tested at 15000. A new coil fixed it. Remove all of the leads (3) to test it. Ron
Old 11-08-2015, 06:15:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanks Ron but this engine has coil on plugs, 8 coils, don't think it would be his problem.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:44:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,029 Times in 477 Posts

I just remembered something else that happened. I had trouble starting the engine. After testing everything that could be tested and finding nothing wrong there was only one thing left , the ECM. That was it! All electronics will go bad due to the electrolytic capacitors. They have a liquid in them and in time will dry out and not work. When I got the rebuilt ECM I had to look at it and what they did was to replace 3 electrolytic caps. Ron
Old 11-09-2015, 12:04:43 PM
Registered-III

OK, I think I found the problem, the slight amount of moisture in the plug in on the computer on the blue connector. I dried it, warmed it, fanned it and sprayed contact cleaner on it and let it set, late last night it fired up and ran fine, I left it plugged in all night and now it won't so I assume its moister there? One pin had some blue corriosion on it. I am drying it out again now, will check it again tonight, thanks!