Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

I need some Chevy help again. My trailer hauler is broke

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 2454 times

Old 11-10-2015, 01:31:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: I need some Chevy help again. My trailer hauler is broke

OK, this is getting weird. TheGM experts have assured me the engine will crank without the ECM, yet with it unhooked it will not. Also, now when I hook it up it will crank ONCE and will do so as long as I hold the key and then it has to be all taken apart? I have actually lost ground now.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2015, 02:06:13 PM
Subscriber

I can't know about all cars/years , just the experience that I've had with my van. There is a relay that will shut off the fuel pump and ignition in case of accident. It is controlled by the ECM. Will not start with a bad ECM. All of these things that I've talked about have been intermittent. They will drive you nuts because they will work when you go to test them. You can't find the problem when they decide to work. Can you borrow another ECM to test as the possible problem. My rebuilt ECM cost about $250. You can't return electronic equipment for a refund. Ron
Old 11-10-2015, 03:12:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,948 Times in 891 Posts

It won't crank without the ECM, a new or used won't won't crank without programming. If it's out of a similar truck you can usually program the key by turning the key to start, leave it on for 10 minutes, repeat two more times.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

This site has them as cheep as $30.

http://www.car-part.com
Old 11-11-2015, 01:07:20 PM
Subscriber

I would be tempted to go back to the fuse box , I had one where the clearance light's would not go out . I cut the wire that comes from the body control module and the lights still stayed on. Changed the box problem was cured, It might be sending ground up wrong circuit's causing all kinds of grief. The fuse box does not need to be programmed. Some of our new vehicles have computers included with them. The whole issue was darn mice . The other problem is GM wire conectors loose their spring in the wireing conector making intermittant connection.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:17:49 PM
Subscriber

I looked at this site and it was auto salvage. Buying a used ECM is like buying a timebomb with the fuse lit. It is going to go off , you just don't know when. I gave similar advice on buying a maytag twin coil. Don't waste your money on a used one. Ron

[/COLOR]This site has them as cheep as $30.

http://www.car-part.com[/QUOTE]
Old 11-11-2015, 02:33:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,948 Times in 891 Posts

For $30 can afford to try it, these aren't troublesome computers. The 90's Ford computers have electrolytic capacitors that fail, used one would probably be bad also. I've had good luck with used computers.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:37:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanks guys, I just took a test drive this morning, it did start and run fine for the 20 miles I went. I got to do some more driving to know for sure and will report back to you. Thanks